Merged:Collier is RBs Coach Again, Foerster new Offensive Coordinator | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged:Collier is RBs Coach Again, Foerster new Offensive Coordinator

My favorite smoke screen this year was RS' hiring. We scoured the league looking for GMs. Made some "legitiment" efforts to get some well known faces (Wolf). But, after the dog and pony show, up popped RS from NO WHERE.

Rational, the league is so vocal about equal opportunity hiring, the FO had to "appear" to be giving everyone a chance to land the job. After all was said and done, they just needed to do that so when they hired their "pick", it didn't land them in the NFL's doghouse.

Yea... I don't believe much that comes from our FO's lips.

Justasportsfan said:
Make the playoffs first before you think about sb. NO! The Pats and other teams have a way better chances that both our teams. At least I can say that objectively.

Actually, we have a 6% chance of going to the Superbowl.

All 16 teams in the AFC do - even the
2129wingslogo.jpg

I wonder how many people, other than DW, in the FO Joel p!$$ed off to be asked to step down?

Guess Wanny decided right now that Joel wanted too much of something to make it work. Guess Joel's not a yes man.

As I said b4, this is merely window dressing by the FO to cover up something.

P4E said:
Not to be negative here, but I think that by definition and logic this cannot be considered a good thing. This team had the opportunity to select a new OC just a few months ago, and Chris Foerster obviously wasn't viewed as the person to choose. Heck, his name wasn't even in the mix as a possibile OC for this or any other team, to my knowledge. Lord, -- it's not like Joel Collier was God's gift to the OC position, and we just found ourselves replacing that unproven commodity with someone we've already indicated would be a lesser choice.

He's inexperienced in the title, inexperienced with our personnel and inexperienced with our offense. He had to wear a name tag until last week just so our players and coaches knew who he was.

So... what happens from here? Anyone coming into a new spot can potentially bring some new thinking and vigor. But that's not what I see here. I believe his presence in this spot represents undesirable upheaval, and will bring the uncertainty and error that typically comes with inexperience.

The chance that this is anything other than a net negative is about one in five, and I'd only give it that much confidence because I never thought Joel Collier was going to be any great shakes as OC. I guess what remains to be seen is just how consequential this net negative is likely to be. It could be negligible, or it could be the critical margin that costs us the season when the chips are on the line.

^^^^^^ What he said. ^^^^^^
I agree 100%.

NathanHunt said:
I wonder how many people, other than DW, in the FO Joel p!$$ed off to be asked to step down?

Guess Wanny decided right now that Joel wanted too much of something to make it work. Guess Joel's not a yes man.

As I said b4, this is merely window dressing by the FO to cover up something.

O really :rolleyes: your so smart. Some of u guys on here are just off the deep end.........reading way to much into everything. I guess thats what makes this site so good though........u get everyones perspective.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Collier had a lot of experience. He looked like a guy who deserved the promotion.

Compared to the new guy who took his place any way.

P4E said:
Not to be negative here, but I think that by definition and logic this cannot be considered a good thing. This team had the opportunity to select a new OC just a few months ago, and Chris Foerster obviously wasn't viewed as the person to choose. Heck, his name wasn't even in the mix as a possibile OC for this or any other team, to my knowledge. Lord, -- it's not like Joel Collier was God's gift to the OC position, and we just found ourselves replacing that unproven commodity with someone we've already indicated would be a lesser choice.

He's inexperienced in the title, inexperienced with our personnel and inexperienced with our offense. He had to wear a name tag until last week just so our players and coaches knew who he was.

So... what happens from here? Anyone coming into a new spot can potentially bring some new thinking and vigor. But that's not what I see here. I believe his presence in this spot represents undesirable upheaval, and will bring the uncertainty and error that typically comes with inexperience.

The chance that this is anything other than a net negative is about one in five, and I'd only give it that much confidence because I never thought Joel Collier was going to be any great shakes as OC. I guess what remains to be seen is just how consequential this net negative is likely to be. It could be negligible, or it could be the critical margin that costs us the season when the chips are on the line.

I do agree with this line of thinking.......I guess we will just have to see.

P4E said:

But really, P4E ... what choice did we have?

If we promote Sullivan to OC, we lose the best chance we have to carry David Boston beyond his troubled immediate past and reach his potential. Make no mistake, if Boston succeeds, it will be in no small measure due to Sullivan's hand-holding.

If we promote Trestman to OC, we have the same void in QB coaching we did last year, except the problem is compounded by attempting to work in a new face at the position. Whether Feeley or Fiedler ends up as the starter, he would need the kind of experience Trestman offers to step up his game.

In promoting Foerster to OC, I don't think it's going to stunt Randy McMichael's production that much. Do you?

NCFINFAN38 said:
Compared to the new guy who took his place any way.

Collier has 10 years NFL coaching experience (all with the Dolphins -- if he has experience with another team, someone please correct me). Foerster has 11.

It was all in fun!

Personally, I do not know if this will be a good move or a bad one.

Only time will tell.

But I sure have had a lot of fun since it was announced. It has really made the day go by quickly! Thanks FO!

DrAstroZoom said:
But really, P4E ... what choice did we have?

If we promote Sullivan to OC, we lose the best chance we have to carry David Boston beyond his troubled immediate past and reach his potential. Make no mistake, if Boston succeeds, it will be in no small measure due to Sullivan's hand-holding.

If we promote Trestman to OC, we have the same void in QB coaching we did last year, except the problem is compounded by attempting to work in a new face at the position. Whether Feeley or Fiedler ends up as the starter, he would need the kind of experience Trestman offers to step up his game.

In promoting Foerster to OC, I don't think it's going to stunt Randy McMichael's production that much. Do you?
Hey, Doc! How ya been?

I agree with each of the points you expressed. The FO was unexpectedly placed in the position of having to consider each of these factors, and they came to the conclusion that given the hand they were just dealt, moving Foerster up to OC was the best option.

I don't know (or even think) that this was the wrong decision. It's just that logic tells me that this represents something of a compromise away from what they had initially planned for and hoped would work. The other point I'm looking to make is that I don't think it's illogical or inappropriate for people to weigh in on this as a likely net-negative, within reason. I think it's wrong to freak out and say the sky is falling, but I think it's also wrong to say that people who consider these developments negative are necessarily panic-mongers.

It's just a small chunk of the sky falling.:)

If I were any better, I'd be taxable.

I'm not going to try and spin this into being serendipitous. But from where I sit, I have to hand it to the FO for keeping the specialty coaches where they needed to be to provide stability in our problem areas. A Sullivan or Trestman promotion would have been more media-friendly, but possibly (probably?) more disruptive as well.

I personally don't think there's any way to spin this into a good thing, just hopefully not as bad as it looks. I'm not sure how much I like the idea of an offensive coordinator being as unfamiliar with the playbook as our new additions on offense David Boston and AJ Feeley.

DrAstroZoom said:
If I were any better, I'd be taxable.

I'm not going to try and spin this into being serendipitous. But from where I sit, I have to hand it to the FO for keeping the specialty coaches where they needed to be to provide stability in our problem areas. A Sullivan or Trestman promotion would have been more media-friendly, but possibly (probably?) more disruptive as well.

Keeping positions stable is a great idea...just as long as the whole O doesn't suffer for it. Woe be to DW if he didn't make the right call because he'll be the one who pays for it more than anybody.

Back
Top Bottom