Merged: Omar Jacobs | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Omar Jacobs

phins4gish said:
Don't hate on Omar. I like Omar Jacobs, I've actually seen him play, unlike most of you hatewaggoners. He puts great touch on his passes, he is very mobile, and he DOES have good arm strength.

He is ranked above your BELOVED Cutler everywhere I look.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/qb.html

http://www.draftconnection.com/nfl/players/quarterbacks.php

and the half the sites with Cutler @ the #2 QB spot don't have Jacobs in their rankings because he hasnt declared yet. And we all know he will because of the high demand this year.

I like Jacobs, I dont see him often but when I do he looks pretty good

and while I agree that a spread offense does inflate your yards and TD's

It also gives you more chances to throw INT's which he doesnt do, so people need to come up with better excuses than the offense they run

that said he probally will not go before cutler

how does it give him "more chance" to throw interceptions? 5 eligible receivers against 4 DBs gives you a better chance to NOT throw a pick actually

kastofsna120 said:
how does it give him "more chance" to throw interceptions? 5 eligible receivers against 4 DBs gives you a better chance to NOT throw a pick actually

More throws = More chances to make a bad read or throw a bad ball

kastofsna120 said:

I'd say they run 5 wide recievers a small fraction of the time. They use alot of TE and two back sets actually. I'd knock the system because they spend the majority of the time in shotgun, not because they use multiple recievers.

phins4gish said:
Don't hate on Omar. I like Omar Jacobs, I've actually seen him play, unlike most of you hatewaggoners. He puts great touch on his passes, he is very mobile, and he DOES have good arm strength.

He is ranked above your BELOVED Cutler everywhere I look.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/qb.html

http://www.draftconnection.com/nfl/players/quarterbacks.php

and the half the sites with Cutler @ the #2 QB spot don't have Jacobs in their rankings because he hasnt declared yet. And we all know he will because of the high demand this year.

I will bet anything (literally) that Cutler is drafted before Jacobs. There is absolutely no question about it. Let's just wait till the draft. And can u Jacobs-lovers stop using the excuse that all the Jacobs-haters haven't really watched him play? How ignorant can u guys be to tell me I haven't watched him play. :rolleyes:

saves said:
So you say you saw him against Wisconsin which he played a great game and showed his potential on a national stage against a superior opponent.The Miami game was his first game back from a separated shoulder and he was a late decision for even that game, and he didn't play spectacular but solid enough to blow out the Redhawks. Some how you managed to see the Oklahoma game which wasn't even televised and I really doubt you bought college gameplan just to watch Bowling Green games so I'm not too sure about that one my man.
u're really starting to piss me off. Listen, I'm a student Georgia Tech. Last year, me and both my current roomates now (but not at the time), were rushing with this fraternity (which they are now brothers in, not me though)where they get gameplan every year (and all the other college packages). If you remember correctly BG competed pretty well with Oklahoma the first half and made it look like a good game. Then Oklahoma pulled away and Jacobs got a couple of his TD's in garbage time i think. In fact since GT was playing a small-*** sh*tty team that day, I didn't even go to the game. Just sat at the frat house and watched all the other games (on 3 TV's). I'd say I saw about 80% of the BG-Oklahoma (including most all of the game when it was close up untill later in the 3rd quater or something.) Jacobs held his own. At the time I didn't know how highly touted of a prospect he would come to be, but I thought he looked alright for a "small-school" QB, nothing real special though. And I'm not addressing any other comments on whether or not I've watched him, this is ridiculous.

saves said:
Then your going to knock him for throwing 18 incompletions against a tough Memphis team where BG's strategy was to be as agressive as possible and keep the ball out of DeAngelo Williams hands. I guess throwing 5 td's isn't enough for some people, and I can't recall any of thm being goaline passes, because the team typically runs in the redzone..
A tough Memphis D? lol, they game up over 30 points a game last year. Maybe you meant to refer to the other side of the ball for Memphis. Anyway, yeah, your right, throwing td's isn't enough for some people. Timmy Chang was only 4 TD's short of the NCAA record. Where's he now? The TD's on the stat line that Jacobs threw really dont mean much; it's how he played. and I really believe that he played an alright game; he did a good job of doing his role in the offense. He missed some throws and he made some throws, and overall he played solid. Did he look like a potential first-day pick. IMO, NO he didn't. His stats made him look like a first-day pick, but not his play.

And, please, stop pulling stuff out of your a$$, how do you reckon that BG's plan was to be as aggresive as possible on offense to keep the ball out of DeAngelo Williams' hands. If their main priority was to keep the ball out of Williams' hands (which is a rash assumption anyway), theoretically they wouldv'e played ball control on offense, and not thrown the ball over 40 times. But that's beside the point anyway.

saves said:
He dosn't hit his recievers in stride. The offense is created to find holes in the zone and use Omar's accuracy to put it there. He is not supposed to be hitting them in stride, but instead where they can make the completion and get the first down. The places he is thowing the ball on crossing routes and such, if you don't put the ball in the recievers body you're hanging them out to get layed out. On playes such as seams and fades he puts the ball right on them in stride, its the crossing routes he throws into their body. It is not like his amazing WR core is hauling in all these horirble passes and making him look great, he throws a catchable ball every time.

I think his draft stock already dropped as much as it will because of this seasons injuries and what have you. The only place it can go would be up. Again, I'm not toting him to be the next Marino or anything like that, but the points you make against him are invalid and are just helping to misinform people that have not seen him about a great football player. He was raved about as a possible 1st rounder this year for a reason, and even though he hit some speedbumps he has the potential that some NFL GM is going to jump all over.

Oh yea, if he does get drafted on the first day and prove he can be effective in this leauge, I'll remind you what I said, and have been saying for well over a year.
as far as I'm concerned, from what I've seen, his accuracy and timing is extremely overrated compared to what I've read and heard about him. And, do u still not believe that Bowling Green's spread offense generallly opens up the field more and makes the passing game relatively more manageable for a QB? The necessities of accurate passes and perfect timing are reduced in a spread offense, so in essence the QB's job is not as meticulous. BTW, I see your from Ohio... might there be some bias toward Omar?

Omar Jacobs is very accurate and very smart, but he has a totally different throwing motion that scouts dont like to see. Hes also part of a weird offence at Bowling Green. I dont beileve he will be a starter in the NFL, and he'll probably be a 3rd/4th round if he goes into the draft this year.

killswitch said:
u're really starting to piss me off. Listen, I'm a student Georgia Tech. Last year, me and both my current roomates now (but not at the time), were rushing with this fraternity (which they are now brothers in, not me though)where they get gameplan every year (and all the other college packages). If you remember correctly BG competed pretty well with Oklahoma the first half and made it look like a good game. Then Oklahoma pulled away and Jacobs got a couple of his TD's in garbage time i think. In fact since GT was playing a small-*** sh*tty team that day, I didn't even go to the game. Just sat at the frat house and watched all the other games (on 3 TV's). I'd say I saw about 80% of the BG-Oklahoma (including most all of the game when it was close up untill later in the 3rd quater or something.) Jacobs held his own. At the time I didn't know how highly touted of a prospect he would come to be, but I thought he looked alright for a "small-school" QB, nothing real special though. And I'm not addressing any other comments on whether or not I've watched him, this is ridiculous.

I'm impressed with the fact that you saw that game. It was Omar's first start (as a sophomore) and I feel he held his own against one of the strongest defense's in the country. 2td's and 0 picks for your first time on the big stage is impressive

A tough Memphis D? lol, they game up over 30 points a game last year. Maybe you meant to refer to the other side of the ball for Memphis. Anyway, yeah, your right, throwing td's isn't enough for some people. Timmy Chang was only 4 TD's short of the NCAA record. Where's he now? The TD's on the stat line that Jacobs threw really dont mean much; it's how he played. and I really believe that he played an alright game; he did a good job of doing his role in the offense. He missed some throws and he made some throws, and overall he played solid. Did he look like a potential first-day pick. IMO, NO he didn't. His stats made him look like a first-day pick, but not his play.

And, please, stop pulling stuff out of your a$, how do you reckon that BG's plan was to be as aggresive as possible on offense to keep the ball out of DeAngelo Williams' hands. If their main priority was to keep the ball out of Williams' hands (which is a rash assumption anyway), theoretically they wouldv'e played ball control on offense, and not thrown the ball over 40 times. But that's beside the point anyway.

I didn't say their defense was tough but they had a decent team and it made for a big bowl matchup for them, considering the schools are of similar recuiting levels. They do run a 3-3-5 defense which was getting some decent pressure on Omar thought the game. And please don't bring up Timmy Chang, all those TD's and also the record in INT's. Omar threw 4 his first year and like 8 this year, they are not in the same leauge.

And the offensive strategy was apparent, they onside kicked, attempted fake punts, and played agressive the entire game to take Memphis's running game to a minimum. Why in hell would they play ball control on offense, that would be playing right into Memphis's strenght, in a game of ball control they win.

as far as I'm concerned, from what I've seen, his accuracy and timing is extremely overrated compared to what I've read and heard about him. And, do u still not believe that Bowling Green's spread offense generallly opens up the field more and makes the passing game relatively more manageable for a QB? The necessities of accurate passes and perfect timing are reduced in a spread offense, so in essence the QB's job is not as meticulous. BTW, I see your from Ohio... might there be some bias toward Omar?

His strength is his accuracy, anyone who has seen him play will say that. And when did I say the offenses dosn't open up the field and all that, thats why it is such a successful offense, but theres still a gap between making the the right throw and making a bad throw in it and for the most part Omar has shown a good football mind. It has been shown that a QB can make the transition, so I think that argument is moot.

I do have some bias towards Omar, but I'm not without pointing out his faults. I've seen nearly ever start he has made and have seen him play damn good football. Still I believe he has first round talent but didn't have a first round season. I don't want to be the one running around saying the dolphins should have him number 1 on their wish list but I think some team is going to end up with a fine player, but its a big of a gamble at this point. I do not have a problem with someone evaluation Omar with a statement such as " he has tools and potential, but is a gambel" but to discount him completely such as you have is plain wrong. There was a buzz about him for a reason, he has produced.

Omar Jacobs Declares

Omar Jacobs will be in the draft this year. I know a lot of people on this board(myself included) were really high on him early in the year before he got hurt and had a disappointing season. I think we now have better options to find our future QB, but he is a local guy and he could possibly be there in the second round and lower. I wouldn't mind spending a 2nd or 3rd on him if Cutler or someone doesn't fall to us in the 1st.

Omar Jacobs would be fine, but is he a start immediately type or would he require a year or two of conditioning?

"Jacobs received a fourth-round grade from the NFL's draft advisory committee, and believes his athletic ability will be on display at the NFL scouting combine and will help his stock rise."

I'd take him in the 4th

daniel3 said:
Omar Jacobs would be fine, but is he a start immediately type or would he require a year or two of conditioning?

Couple of years sitting and coaching.

daniel3 said:

I think he would need about a full year on the bench to fix his mechanics and adjust to the extreme jump in talent from the MAC to the pros.

4th round? Man, his stock has dropped but I'd still be happy to get him. In the long run, I still can see him as an answer to our QB woes. All we would possibly need then was another stopgap to backup or compete ag Gus.

Caps said:
I think he would need about a full year on the bench to fix his mechanics and adjust to the extreme jump in talent from the MAC to the pros.

some QBs shouldnt be thrown into starting right away. It hurt Cade McNown's confidence and Alex Smith did poorly under pressure(though he could still turn out well).

Back
Top Bottom