Merged: The Official Jason Brown Thread/Signed With Rams | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: The Official Jason Brown Thread/Signed With Rams

I'm completely fine with us signing Brown as long as we don't have to break the bank to do so. With him on board we'll have something we haven't had for at least 25 years- actual depth on the o-line(to my recollection at least).

I believe this was his only season at center and he played guard previous to that.

I don't care where he plays, we just need to get him signed. He's one of the top free agent o-linemen available and he's young. GET HIM SIGNED!!!!

the confusion is that guards get paid more then centers.
he wants to be the highest paid guard, even if he plays center, which would also make him the highest paid center.

Wow...this is looking good. The addition of Brown would upgrade our power running game immensely. Go get him, boys!

Interesting: Dilemmas connected with signing Jason Brown

So what is Miami's second dilemma? Well it seems Brown, who started at center all 16 games in 2008, wants to be paid like a guard. He started 28 games in 2006 and 2007 at left guard. Why is that Brown's stance?

Because guards make more money than centers for some reason God only knows. Last year, the guard market was set by free agent Alan Faneca who signed a five-year contract worth $40 million with the Jets. The contract included $21 million in guarantees. Do the math. The standard for top NFL guards now is $8 million per season.

Hmmmm, brown maybe talking his way out of miami's interest..

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2009/02/dilemmas-connected-with-signing-jason-brown.html

Long-Smiley-Brown-Thomas-Carey

Satele?:up:

:crazy:keep your fingers crossed! I'm watching the clock.:lol2:

Plus Jax and Wash are showing interest. And they could bid us out of the Brown running.

Jason Brown Should NOT get signed

I think it would be a big mistake to sign Jason Brown. This draft has o-line potential up the wazoo and center is smong the best positions in the draft. There are 2 GREAT (Mack 6'4 311lbs, Unger 6' 5" 328lbs) prospects that would come at a much cheaper price as a low 1st rounder or even at #44. I hope we draft one instead of siging brown. Im convinced Sporano (being a o-line coach which he takes immense pride in) & Co. can coach up (i.e. jake long) any player from the draft especially with the imense talent of centers in the 2009 draft. Teams that may want a center include Baltimore if they lose Brown, Pitts, Colts, and Minnesota. Minnesota is said to be chasing Brown as hard as us so if that happens cross them off. And Minnesota would be the only team drafting ahead of us that would want a center in the first round. Most evaluations have the top centers going late first or early second. Which falls exactly where we are at #25 or #44.

He's an established guy, he's a young guy, and I think that he should be our top priority.

If we don't sign him, then I think that we should definitely go after a guy like Mack, Unger, or Wood.

It's simply question of $$ vs. draft picks and which you'd rather save.

If you'd rather save the money or want to spend on other FAs, then yes, the draft has many talented centers who could be had for cheap. But it would cost a draft pick that could otherwise go to other areas of need.

If you'd rather save draft picks and don't mind breaking the bank a little, Brown is the favored option.

Personally I'm ok with spending on Brown as long as we can still afford a safety (Bell or Wilson - max. 4M/yr?), a 2nd tier cornerback (Bodden/Bartell - 3M/yr?), and Coles (5M/yr?).

Back
Top Bottom