Merged: The Official Trent Green Thread | Page 31 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: The Official Trent Green Thread

We'll have to teach ya. :wink:

Joey was brought here to be insurance, he only got his chance because Daunte was injured. If Daunte had stayed healthy, Joey never would have seen playing time. He was signed to be a backup and played average ball when he did get a chance. Again, that's not his fault entirely, the OL did play like crap for him just as it did for Culpepper.

And players hide injuries all the time from team doctors/coaches. I think Daunte's biggest mistake (and the only thing fans should be upset about) is the fact that he wanted to be out on the field so badly that he put his health in jeopardy and ultimately hurt his team. How much of that had to do with Saban encouraging him to play is unknown, I'm content with putting that responsibilty on Daunte's shoulders. But I do like that passion to be on the field, I would take that over a player that is content with sitting on the bench any day.

I agree that Joey was brought here as a backup plan. I also believe that Daunte should get a free pass for last year, but after all, he was cleared to play. Saban got the okay from the doctors to play him, so he did. Maybe Saban saved his life for pulling him also, that we as fans don't know.
After saying that, I'am still not a C-P fan. I still think he's useless. IMO

Add to the fact that I don't want the Phins to deal with Carl Peterson of the Chiefs. He appparently wants more than that late 7th rounder the Phins are offering. I'd tell him take or leave it. He screwed Saban in the Surtain deal when he got him for only a 2nd rd pick.
If I'm the Phins I start negotiating with Carr to get Peterson to drop his demands.

But then again, Jimmy Johnson got a 3rd round pick for a kicker from him.
1996 JJ sent Pete Stoyo to KC for a 3rd.:lol:

I don't know how to break quotes down like that, but

Ricky doesn't equal Sammy, Sammy plays special teams
Mare, whether we get a pick or not, more than likely he's gone
Joey, Starter his whole career
Daunte, although he is still a Dolphin, he did get clearance to play.

Ricky is greater than Sammy as a backup runningback, its not even close.
I'm sure we can find a special teams player to take up the slack.

I agree that Joey was brought here as a backup plan. I also believe that Daunte should get a free pass for last year, but after all, he was cleared to play. Saban got the okay from the doctors to play him, so he did. Maybe Saban saved his life for pulling him also, that we as fans don't know.

I have some reservations about this.

There has been too many cases where team doctors overlooked a player's injury, for whatever reason, so he can get back on to the field. Ted Johnson being the latest to make such an accusation against his head coach and former team.

Ricky is greater than Sammy as a backup runningback, its not even close.
I'm sure we can find a special teams player to take up the slack.

Don't get me wrong, as a RB Ricky is hands and shoulders better than most in this league. What Sammy brough is completely different. There is a big difference.

Well, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

I'll conceed that Culpepper is not the most fundamentally sound QB and he doesn't have the field vision of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, but not many QB's do. But the idea that Daunte is a chucker, a guy that lobs the ball downfield with the hopes that someone like Moss will catch it, is silly. If you look at his supporting cast and their stats, you'll see that he does indeed spread the ball around. Infact, in 04 when Moss was battling injuries, Daunte's other receivers did quite well. Nate Burleson (68 rec. 1006 yds, 9 tds) Jermaine Wiggins (71 rec, 705 yds, 4 tds) Marcus Robinson (47 rec, 657 yds, 8 tds) and his RB's had (106 rec, 1081 yds, 4 tds). His career passers rating is over 90, not bad for a guy that "can't read a defense". :wink:

He makes some mistakes, but he is still a top 10 QB when healthy IMO. Right now I think we would all kill for a top 10 QB. I just want to see him get a chance to show what he can do when healthy.

Now lets fix that OL. :yes:

I have some reservations about this.

There has been too many cases where team doctors overlooked a player's injury, for whatever reason, so he can get back on to the field. Ted Johnson being the latest to make such an accusation against his head coach and former team.

People believe what they want to believe, but I tend to believe that a coach doesn't overrule a doctor. One point is, you may have to deal with the union if you put a player on the field that hasn't cleared the doctor. Might be a mess that you really don't want on your hands.

The Ted Johnson deal, we really haven't a clue. We've only heard one Ted speak.

I'll conceed that Culpepper is not the most fundamentally sound QB and he doesn't have the field vision of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, but not many QB's do. But the idea that Daunte is a chucker, a guy that lobs the ball downfield with the hopes that someone like Moss will catch it, is silly. If you look at his supporting cast and their stats, you'll see that he does indeed spread the ball around. Infact, in 04 when Moss was battling injuries, Daunte's other receivers did quite well. Nate Burleson (68 rec. 1006 yds, 9 tds) Jermaine Wiggins (71 rec, 705 yds, 4 tds) Marcus Robinson (47 rec, 657 yds, 8 tds) and his RB's had (106 rec, 1081 yds, 4 tds). His career passers rating is over 90, not bad for a guy that "can't read a defense". :wink:

He makes some mistakes, but he is still a top 10 QB when healthy IMO. Right now I think we would all kill for a top 10 QB. I just want to see him get a chance to show what he can do when healthy.

Yeppers, these comments made by me, "steveincolorado" have the expressed written blah, blah, blah from me.
Regradless of what we say and bicker on here has nothing to do with what coach Cam and Boss Randy will do.

Dolphins Forever:dolphins:

People believe what they want to believe, but I tend to believe that a coach doesn't overrule a doctor. One point is, you may have to deal with the union if you put a player on the field that hasn't cleared the doctor. Might be a mess that you really don't want on your hands.

They sure do. :cooldude:

I didn't say coaches overruling a doctor. I said doctor's overlooking a player's injury to get him back on the field.

I doubt Saban overruled the team doctors. But then again, those are the same docotrs that said Culpepper's injury wasn't as bad to overcome as Brees'. And we see how that worked out. I know Brees wanting more money then we were willing to give up or able to afford was the main decision, but It's obvious the Saints got more out of their money from Brees then we did from Culpepper.

I'll give you that but what happend in 2005? He lost Moss and Matt Birk sure, but Burleson, Wiggins etc. were still around and he had his full mobility until his season was ended against Carolina. Without that mobility, how much can you really expect from him?

I'll give you that but what happend in 2005? He lost Moss and Matt Birk sure, but Burleson, Wiggins etc. were still around and he had his full mobility until his season was ended against Carolina. Without that mobility, how much can you really expect from him?

In 2005 Culpepper's start was one of the worse for any QB but the week before his injury, Daunte completed over 70% of his passes against GB and was 3 of 4 against Carolina. Maybe he was finally adjusting to not having Birk and Moss but we will never really know.

Like you said, he lost Moss and Birk, but he was also learning a new system. Linehan came to Miami and Daunte and the Vikes had a hard time adjusting to the new offense. It happens, but it doesn't take away what he accomplished before that.

Mobility isn't as important for a QB as some make it out to be. If the OL does its job, mobility really doesn't matter. Look at Marino, he was a planted tree in the backfield and that didn't hamper his success. Now I'm not comparing Daunte and Dan talent wise, just pointing out that mobility isn't the most important attribute for a QB.

With that said, Daunte did look slow (too careful) in his drops and looked a little uncomfortable at times like he was trying to protect his knee. Hopefully he can get that straightened out. That is where I think his injury hurts him the most, not necessarily in the sprinting department.

Like you said, he lost Moss and Birk, but he was also learning a new system. Linehan came to Miami and Daunte and the Vikes had a hard time adjusting to the new offense. It happens, but it doesn't take away what he accomplished before that.

Mobility isn't as important for a QB as some make it out to be. If the OL does its job, mobility really doesn't matter. Look at Marino, he was a planted tree in the backfield and that didn't hamper his success. Now I'm not comparing Daunte and Dan talent wise, just pointing out that mobility isn't the most important attribute for a QB.

With that said, Daunte did look slow (too careful) in his drops and looked a little uncomfortable at times like he was trying to protect his knee. Hopefully he can get that straightened out. That is where I think his injury hurts him the most, not necessarily in the sprinting department.

Right, but concenrning the mobility, I'd argue that mobility was one of, if not the best trait he had that made Daunte Daunte. Dan had his trademark release behind Richmond Webb, Keith Sims, Tim Ruddey etc. We don't have that in our O-line, and with Daunte's mobility not what it once was, he doesn't have the opportunity to make as many plays using his scrambling and escapability that made him so successful in Minnesota. If he doesn't have that, Daunte's not the Daunte he was before. Even with some of his mobility, his decision-making was very questionable, the Porter INT, the one in the first half vs. Buffalo that he should've thrown away - he's just not the same player he once was.

Back
Top Bottom