Miami Dolphins reveal what they want in their quarterbacks | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins reveal what they want in their quarterbacks

Then he'll probably never win a SB in Miami.

In all reality, Tannehill is here until 2020.

It should be about putting a diverse offense (w/ a NFL capable oline) around a 30 year old QB, built to move.

But these white paper bullet points rarely matter on week one.

I don't look at the team as only a QB. I look at all the team's needs and base the pick on the best way to improve the team. For this Dolphins team, I don't think any of these QBs are likely to be an improvement over Tannehill and (as history shows) they are likely to be worse. It is about risk vs reward. It makes no sense to take the risk unless the reward is worth it. I happen to believe that Tannehill was performing like a top 12 QB when he got hurt. The odds that one of these guys will be significantly better than that are just not that high (IMO).

I agree that the team has under performed. The question is why. Gase gives every indication that he believes it is not Tannehill. I agree with him which makes drafting a QB at 11 a mistake. I think Gase thinks that Tannehill was playing at a really high level.

When the team has decided that replacing Tannehill is the best way to improve the team, then draft a QB and do it in the first round. No bullshit about an insurance policy or a QB competition.

Fair enough, but you have to realize that the NFL is very fast paced and unfortunately it is a what have you done for me lately league. Tannehill has been hurt so I know it's not "fair" but I'm sure the front office are weighing their options. But this year is supposed to be a highly anticipated draft for QB's and seems like a perfect opportunity to draft one and see how Tannehill does next season. If continues to have similar results then it's time to give the young QB a shot. If Tannehill improves then obviously stick with him and let the said drafted QB continue to sit. At the very least you have jimmy G type scenario and could trade him later.

I understand the risk reward with the QB's but you have that same risk reward with ANY position in the draft. And unfortunately we are not one player (including a QB) away from making a superbowl run.

I'm not pounding the table for just any QB in the first round, but I do like the idea if Gase prefers one of the QB's for the reasons above. Seems like a good time to groom a young QB under Tannehill. It also gives him competition. Tannehill just hasn't proved enough that he doesn't need competition.

I definitely want to see us draft a QB BEFORE the 5th round. At least a developmental backup.

I still value Tannehill as the same type of QB as Kirk Cousins, Alex Smith, and Tyrod Taylor and all three are looked at being replaced. While Tannehill may have better skill sets of the three, the results are the same. Not quite good enough to take that next step. Andy Reid just put his career on the line with that trade.

In all reality, Tannehill is here until 2020.

It should be about putting a diverse offense (w/ a NFL capable oline) around a 30 year old QB, built to move.

But these white paper bullet points rarely matter on week one.

Miami has an easy out of that contract with very little cap penalty. Miami is not stuck in that contract

I'm not trying to get in on this, i just like doing research. Tommy Maddox 1992 1st rd pick drafted while the Broncos had a 32 year old Elway. Tannehill will be 30 next year so not a huge age gap between he and Elway.

I'll give you that one, but what was the average career length of a QB back then?

So, there's once. I think my point about the likelihood of the Dolphins drafting a QB at 11 still stands.

Also, how did the decision work out? Denver ended up trading him for a 4th round pick.

Last edited:
Oh, we can still talk, homie. I just don't see this as a polarizing thing, unlike a lot of the haters.

I am fully confident that Tannehill will be fully recovered and very effective...AND they can draft a QB for the future in the first round.

How would the fan base feel about the 1st round pick, QB of the future sitting on the bench for 5 years?

Here's the thing, the FO is already thinking along these lines, otherwise they wouldnt be scouting these guys so hard, so complain all you want, just prepare yourself for us calling a QB at 11.

It could happen. But, if it does, Tannehill will be gone this year or next. It will be the same situation as KC. Keeping both and holding a multi-year QB competition is fantasy land.

I don't think it will happen, but we'll see. Doesn't fit with Gabe's comments about Tannehill being the starter. Either those comments or the QB interest could be smoke screens.

I will add this. Unlike many on this forum, I will support a new QB and hope for the best. Also, Tannehill's new team would become my second favorite team and I would root for them in all games that don't involve the Dolphins.

Last edited:
I have argued that this team easily wins 2-4 more games this season with a healthy Tannehill that is with the hurricane and the awful early travel schedule. I 100% believe that. I cannot then say that the QB doesn't matter in winning games. If I believe that Tannehill makes this team a playoff team then I have to consider that we need to make sure the team doesn't suffer because of the loss of one player. Can anyone point to another player on the Dolphins that if we lose them could be a 4 game swing? So, yes...if the opportunity presents itself and having a good indication of what the draft looks like next year I'm going to play the long game and draft a QB if one of the 4 is there at 11. The trade value next year for either Tannehill (if he stays healthy and plays like he has) or the other QB will be very high and could net more than an extra 1st.

I have argued that this team easily wins 2-4 more games this season with a healthy Tannehill that is with the hurricane and the awful early travel schedule. I 100% believe that. I cannot then say that the QB doesn't matter in winning games. If I believe that Tannehill makes this team a playoff team then I have to consider that we need to make sure the team doesn't suffer because of the loss of one player. Can anyone point to another player on the Dolphins that if we lose them could be a 4 game swing? So, yes...if the opportunity presents itself and having a good indication of what the draft looks like next year I'm going to play the long game and draft a QB if one of the 4 is there at 11. The trade value next year for either Tannehill (if he stays healthy and plays like he has) or the other QB will be very high and could net more than an extra 1st.
Agreed, although next years trade value for both QBs would be more complicated than that... For them to both have high value it's going to take more than one season. After ONE season, I dont see any scenario where both have high trade value, it's one or the other and the one with value is the one you'd like to keep...

Miami has an easy out of that contract with very little cap penalty. Miami is not stuck in that contract

Damn the contract. Tannehill via FO and ownership are the big believers. Until this FO proves otherwise, I expect more of the same. He has until 2020.

Damn the contract. Tannehill via FO and ownership are the big believers. Until this FO proves otherwise, I expect more of the same. He has until 2020.

I agree with this. I believe Gase is convinced that Tannehill was becoming a very good QB. Gase does not want to give up on that. Maybe part of it is ego. Part of it might be an understanding that QBs are damn hard to find. I think if you asked Gase if a QB change is required for HIS offense to be successful, he'd say no F'n way. He said as much BEFORE Tannehill started clicking in his offense.

Gase believes in Tannehill. There are big needs on this team. They need their 1st round pick to be a difference maker in 2018.

Based on that, I don't expect a QB early in the draft and I do expect Tannehill to play well in 2018. I don't expect that to change the minds of some posters here.

Look at the QB trend of the last 15 years. Unless a team has an elite QB, they're rarely in the super bowl. So whether you like it or not, unless you have an elite QB, being in contention consistently is out of the question.

Back
Top Bottom