Miami Dolphins reveal what they want in their quarterbacks | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins reveal what they want in their quarterbacks

If Mayfield or Darnold are there at 11...I say you should draft a QB.

I like Tannehill and if he is the QB going forward I think this team can win with him. I also believe that if something happens and we need to go looking for a QB next offseason...we will be ****ed. I know the likelihood of Tannehill injuring his knee for the 37th time small, but it is something to consider. What you don't want to have happened is be left needing a QB in a year when the picking looks like a EJ Manual being the top guy. Now, this does put a damper in adding a legit talent to the defense, but you also know you have a QB you can go into a season with on the roster which is a much bigger deal.

If Tannehill ends up playing like the player we hope he is, then you trade Baker and recoup the pick...If Tannehill plays well, but Baker is the guy, then you trade Tannehill and recoup the pick. If Tannehill gets hurt, well you have a young guy with promise that can take over and you can begin moving on from Tannehill. In the end, it would be the best way to make sure the Dolphins have a competent QB going forward. Also, this forum will be bananas which is an extra bonus.

I wouldn't be surprised. I'd be SHOCKED

They dont call him Trader Mike for nothing.

Not an idea I like either, but I wouldnt be surprised.

If we arent going QB at 11 and the top 5 position players dont fall, I'd rather see us trade down. There is little difference between the #6 non-QB and the #20 non-QB. The value is in the QBs this year guys.

If Mayfield or Darnold are there at 11...I say you should draft a QB.

I like Tannehill and if he is the QB going forward I think this team can win with him. I also believe that if something happens and we need to go looking for a QB next offseason...we will be ****ed. I know the likelihood of Tannehill injuring his knee for the 37th time small, but it is something to consider. What you don't want to have happened is be left needing a QB in a year when the picking looks like a EJ Manual being the top guy. Now, this does put a damper in adding a legit talent to the defense, but you also know you have a QB you can go into a season with on the roster which is a much bigger deal.

If Tannehill ends up playing like the player we hope he is, then you trade Baker and recoup the pick...If Tannehill plays well, but Baker is the guy, then you trade Tannehill and recoup the pick. If Tannehill gets hurt, well you have a young guy with promise that can take over and you can begin moving on from Tannehill. In the end, it would be the best way to make sure the Dolphins have a competent QB going forward. Also, this forum will be bananas which is an extra bonus.

giphy.gif

Ill go one further though, I dont care if its Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Jackson....whoever...as long as Gase gets his guy, whomever that may be.

What if Tannehill is his guy?

He is. But he needs insurance.

Gase is also wanting his own little sprout that he can shape and mold into the QB he wants him to be. It takes time. This is the Time to do it, all the stars are lining up for it. Weak draft class with multiple talented QBs to choose from. Minimal loss if you dont hit on one.

With all the continued talk about Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield, once again I find myself most curious what happens if Josh Rosen is the guy that slips down to 11.

Again I reiterate, the two things Gase will care most about are pro-relevant experience, and ability to manage the football game from the pocket. Josh Rosen was coached by Jedd Fisch (whom Gase knows through Jay Cutler), and he's the best pocket manager in the draft.
Barring a trade-down I don't see how you could say no to Rosen. Nothing says he can't sit for a couple years if Ryan does well and if you can't keep him off the field, what a problem to have!

Given your stance on this topic, Then what did you mean by that?

I don't look at the team as only a QB. I look at all the team's needs and base the pick on the best way to improve the team. For this Dolphins team, I don't think any of these QBs are likely to be an improvement over Tannehill and (as history shows) they are likely to be worse. It is about risk vs reward. It makes no sense to take the risk unless the reward is worth it. I happen to believe that Tannehill was performing like a top 12 QB when he got hurt. The odds that one of these guys will be significantly better than that are just not that high (IMO).

I agree that the team has under performed. The question is why. Gase gives every indication that he believes it is not Tannehill. I agree with him which makes drafting a QB at 11 a mistake. I think Gase thinks that Tannehill was playing at a really high level.

When the team has decided that replacing Tannehill is the best way to improve the team, then draft a QB and do it in the first round. No bullshit about an insurance policy or a QB competition.

He is. But he needs insurance.

Gase is also wanting his own little sprout that he can shape and mold into the QB he wants him to be. It takes time. This is the Time to do it, all the stars are lining up for it. Weak draft class with multiple talented QBs to choose from. Minimal loss if you dont hit on one.

Sorry but teams don't draft insurance with the 11th pick in the draft. Just doesn't happen.

Sorry but teams don't draft insurance with the 11th pick in the draft. Just doesn't happen.

We will see.

What youre missing is that a QB is a tradeable commodity. Or least he CAN be with proper development. We can recoup that pick, or a healthy portion of it in the future should one QB become more dominant than the other. Moreover, a rookie QB, while not as experienced as a vet, comes at a discount contract, which would enable you to spend cap space in other areas, rather than throwing money at Jay Cutlers and Matt Moores.

Youre also assuming that a position player is going to make an impact. Not the case either, we drafted a developmental DE last year in the first round, and while he has shown flashes (Im looking forward to watching him this year), he could easily be a bust as well. QB isnt the only position that is susceptible to the "Draft Bust" moniker. Crap, We have MORE than our sharer of Dion Jordan's and Jason Allens....

QB is the SMART move coming off a season that was decimated by Jay Cutler and Matt Moore.

We have other draft picks to address needs, but reaching for a guard or another project DE at 11 is far more foolish than taking a rookie QB as insurance.

If anyone had posted a suggestion during halftime of the Arizona game in 2016 to draft Tannehill's replacement in the 2017 draft because he was not good enough, they would've been laughed off the forum.

IMO, the knee injury doesn't change that and has never changed it for any solid starting QB unless the injury was devastating.

We will see.

What youre missing is that a QB is a tradeable commodity. Or least he CAN be with proper development. We can recoup that pick, or a healthy portion of it in the future should one QB become more dominant than the other. Moreover, a rookie QB, while not as experienced as a vet, comes at a discount contract, which would enable you to spend cap space in other areas, rather than throwing money at Jay Cutlers and Matt Moores.

Youre also assuming that a position player is going to make an impact. Not the case either, we drafted a developmental DE last year in the first round, and while he has shown flashes (Im looking forward to watching him this year), he could easily be a bust as well. QB isnt the only position that is susceptible to the "Draft Bust" moniker. Crap, We have MORE than our sharer of Dion Jordan's and Jason Allens....

QB is the SMART move coming off a season that was decimated by Jay Cutler and Matt Moore.

We have other draft picks to address needs, but reaching for a guard or another project DE at 11 is far more foolish than taking a rookie QB as insurance.
I'm talking about the past. Name a time that it has happened.

You have to take things on a case by case basis. Just because you believe something has never happened in the past doesnt mean you can justify not doing it in the future simply because "No one does that."

That is close minded and foolish.

Back
Top Bottom