MikeO's MLB season predictions | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MikeO's MLB season predictions

not really. they wanted an attempt to resign him. and for letting him go, he was still a type a free agent, which gets them a hand picked first round prospect.

Everybody knew they weren't going to re-sign him. If their thinking was that the 1st rd pick they would've gotten for losing him was more valuable than the prospects they were going to get then I can't fault them. Though I don't think that was the case. If a team isn't going to re-sign a player before the end of the season or they say they're going to test free agency then they're as good as gone. If Cleveland were in the race than they don't trade him. Though even though they could've gotten a 1st rd pick they chose multiple prospects.

Boston ain't eliminated from nothing. Their payroll is EQUAL to the Yanks if you count the Dice-K posting fee on top of them paying Manny's $7 mill salary to play in LA from here on out. That's a posting fee most teams can't afford and a salary for a guy to play for another team most teams can't afford. When your in the $200 mill payroll range.......your never eliminated until the standings say so!!!!!

Plus they have the starting pitching to carry that team. It will be tougher now.....no doubt but I ain't counting them out.

Want to really know whats funny. Instead of just writing that Boston's and the Yankee's payroll's are EQUAL, you had to add Dice-K's $51 million dollar posting fee which, everyone knows the Sox had to pay last year and the Sox paying $7 million for Manny which everyone knows is already included in the payroll at the start of the year.

"Your never eliminated until the standings say so!!!" Does this only apply to the Sox? Teams with payrolls over $100 million?

Want to really know whats funny. Instead of just writing that Boston's and the Yankee's payroll's are EQUAL, you had to add Dice-K's $51 million dollar posting fee which, everyone knows the Sox had to pay last year and the Sox paying $7 million for Manny which everyone knows is already included in the payroll at the start of the year.

"Your never eliminated until the standings say so!!!" Does this only apply to the Sox? Teams with payrolls over $100 million?

do you have anything better to do in your life than to argue with me??

You will never agree with me.I will never agree with you. Why can't you just drop it and move on???? I mean how many times do we have to go in circles.

Step away from the keyboard, have beer (or kool aid depending on your age) and chill bro. Just enjoy the baeball season.:up:

do you have anything better to do in your life than to argue with me??

You will never agree with me.I will never agree with you. Why can't you just drop it and move on???? I mean how many times do we have to go in circles.

Step away from the keyboard, have beer (or kool aid depending on your age) and chill bro. Just enjoy the baeball season.:up:

Well I would hope you would call me on saying something that is wrong. If I said Manny Ramirez and Ken Griffey Jr have an EQUAL amount of career HR's would someone not check me on it. I would hope so. If I said they are both All-time great Sluggers, I would think not.

So is that why the Yankees have an operative deficit of $47 mil a year.....not counting the payments on the $1.004 billion they have in debt? Even with the very profitable YES network which hands the Yankees $60 mil a year for their stake the team still will lose over $30 mil this year.

So what is this about the YANKEE BRAND making billions?

just to prove you have NO CLUE what you are talking about (like when 1 or 2 years ago or so you were here saying there was no salary cap in the NBA). This is from todays NY POST.

So if their revenue will double......how can they be operating in a deficit??? hmmmmmmmm

Report: New Stadium Will Double Yankees Revenue

According to Crain's, the Yankees will double their revenues when they move across the street to the new Yankee Stadium next season.
Higher prices for tickets and concessions plus more revenue from the YES Network are among the reasons for the tremendous increase.
"The new Yankee Stadium will change the economics of all baseball," Robert Boland, a sports agent and a professor at New York University's Preston Robert Tisch Center for Hospitality, Tourism and Sports Management, told Crains.

Yes....you read the Post and I'll read Forbes. Care to argue the merits of the respective publications?

So if their revenue will double......how can they be operating in a deficit??? hmmmmmmmm

You think about that one for a second....it will come to you.

I've read the forbes thing. I've also read this http://sabermetricresearch.blogspot.com/2007/06/do-yankees-lose-money-not-if-you.html.

I don't think the Yankees are hurting for money. As a fan i'd rather have my team spend money and win than have fatcat owners stash the money away. If people have a problem with the Yankees they should have atleast as big of a problem with the Marlins. The Yankees and A-Rod are thought of as bad for the economics of baseball. Though look at some franchises like the Pirates that haven't been relevant in 15 years. It's easy to hate the Yankees because they're the Yankees. Just like for some odd reason it's easy for people to like the Red Sox because they're the Red Sox.

What the blogger doesn't understand is the meaning of the number he is quoting. Which is somewhat odd since Forbes offers the definition on the same page.....Operating Income; Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization.

The problem the Yankees have is that they are massively in debt. Its probably in large part due to the new stadium, although with sport's franchises you never know. Some owners use them as debt dumps for other failed business interests because its in their best interests to drive down income numbers. Either way, even with the cash cow YES network's profits included, the Yankees operate in the red.

Yes....you read the Post and I'll read Forbes. Care to argue the merits of the respective publications?

You think about that one for a second....it will come to you.

Your best post yet, I am glad it was bolded.

Keeping Soriano was a total mistake. They had zero chance at resigning him and teams were willing to make a deal for some decent players. Instead they got 2 highschool kids (Smoker, Burgess) who won't be to the majors for a longtime. That was just plain dumb..

http://www.cnbc.com/id/25677773

I don't believe the Yankees are in trouble financially. Now this does conclude the Yankees do operate in the red. Though I think it's more a result of signing players and willing to go over the luxury tax and revenue sharing. I think most fans would want an owner who wants to win and is willing to lose money.

Hankenstein may sound arrogant but guys like him are interesting. Even someone like Ozzie Guillen who puts his foot in his mouth every-other week are entertaining. On the other end of the spectrum a Bill Belicheck press-conference is like watching paint dry.

Just on a different note. Manny is just ripping the cover off the ball. I don't know if he'd be doing the same for the Sox. If a group of vets said he needed to go, then i'll side with them. Though aside from the "Manny being Manny," thing I think it gets forgotten how great of a player he is.

I'm going to be a homer on this but if the White Sox win the AL Central, Kenny Williams has to get some credit. Few had the Sox above 3rd place. Though i'd say Danks has a bright future and I think Floyd can atleast be average. Which he got for what seem like peanuts now. He gave up a ton for Swisher but they've got him for 4 more years so we'll see. The Quentin deal was the steal of the offseason.

The Yankees need to get hot fast if they want to make a run. I'm guessing the Red Sox wanted Giles as insurance. Playing in that stadium made Chris Young an all-star and hurt his power numbers. Drew could do no wrong in June but he's slipped.

I think the Angels are head and shoulders above everybody else. The Yankees/Red Sox/ White Sox i'd assume are all trying to get a SP before the waiver period ends. The Rays and Twins are hard to gauge. What could end up hurting the Angels is if they wrap up home-field early they're not going to be playing meaningful games.

The NL comes down to the Cubs and Brewers. Everybody else is streaky, or not very good.

The yankees are done. It's too late for them.

The yankees are done. It's too late for them.
Im looking forward to next year though, regardless of what happens the rest of this year. Think about it:
Posada has been hurt all year
Wang is out for the year unless we make the playoffs
A-rod went down for a while
Damon went down for a while
Hughes was pitching on a stress fracture
Kennedy flopped
Key hitters had down years (Cano, Jeter)

I just think that you'll see a lot of that reverse itself, with the exception of Kennedy sucking eggs. Cano is too good a hitter to have the year he had. The light is just turning on for the year. We most likely wont have the same injury luck. The Posada and Wang injuries were huge. So theres always next year. Hey, I have to find some reason to be optimistic :D

Back
Top Bottom