Must get this kid... and other offseason stuff | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Must get this kid... and other offseason stuff

I usually don't get wrapped up in this type of post, but after today I just want to say how I think we should move forward.

First we have been horrible at drafting forever, so we have to start keeping our home grown guys here. Starting with Jarvis. He has a ton left in the tank, and we have to figure out a way to keep him. which is a no brainer.

We have to part ways with pouncey. the guy was never all that great, but anything that he did have is gone. take his money and pay juice, jmo. this save 8mil, with 1 mil dead

get suh to restructure and give him a signing bonus to make up for it to save cap.

Julius is an obvious cut. saves 6.6 mil, no dead

these moves would help this team and we would have some money left over to sign some lineman. maybe not top teir money guys, but some guys that can come in and get the job done.

Juw'an James- now this would be a really tough cut for me. this would hurt us more than help imo. it would save 9.341 mil though

The one thing we need to do is get Saquon Barkley in a phins uniform. he is the best back to come out in a very long time. better than zeke. the kid can do it all, catch the ball out of the back field and he runs angry. I'm usually not about taking a rb that high but this kid is the next great back. I know some will argue that we will be able to find later, but this kid is forreal. jmo

What do you guys think we need to do?

he's a great player but... we need oline and qb

Going rb, I would take a look at LJ Scott of MSU. Has some off the field stuff, but all related to the fact he can't drive for ****.

6'1" 230 lbs

The one player in the entire draft that would have the single biggest impact on this team is Lamar Jackson. He's listed at 6-3 likely no shorter than 6-2 and he added 10 lbs of muscle this past offseason and he'll get even bigger to prepare for the draft and the pros....he's more advanced of a passer than Mike Vick was coming out, he's a star and we need a star! And he grew up in the area.
I would take him in a heartbeat....but will he be there when we draft?

Will he last until the 2nd or 3rd round, and if he does, will he be OK with being a backup to Tannehill if he is able to come back?

Miami will need to get a QB in this coming draft, considering Tannehill is coming back from surgery, but if he is able to come back (Pretty probable), Tannehill will start, so Miami will absolutely not get a QB in the 1st, and probably not in the 2nd either.

He might fall to the 2nd, a lot depends on the other QBs, will Darnold stay? Josh Allen hasn't really played all that well given the hype he had coming into the year, could he stay? And I'm not letting Tannehill's return dictate how early/late I take a QB, if a QB you love is there you take him, the Eagles sure made the right decision to take Wentz even though they had Bradford there, who was about the same age as Tannehill is now, and has Ryan really proven all that much more on the field than Bradford had at the time?

Also even if healthy there's no guarantee he's here, the Dolphins might get a trade offer they can't refuse.

Such a fallacy. Have your you even watched Dallas play this season? Their line wasn't blocking well until very recently. Zeke was often getting contacted behind the LOS. But the kid still makes yards after contact.

It's funny, when Zeke does well, it's because of the line and anybody could do the same. But when the holes weren't there and the line wasn't moving anyone off the ball, it's because Zeke sucks.

Elliott is a helluva back. He's a phenomenal runner between the tackles and outside as well. He's a very good pass catcher and he's a dynamite blocker both as a lead blocker and in pass pro.

Barkley has more speed and might be a tad better catching it, but he's not the blocker Zeke is nor does he run with more power or break more tackles. Did you see Barkley against a good Ohio State defensive line? He didn't break many tackles or make them miss. In the open field, he's tremendous though.

No kidding. Remember, Zeke put Cam Chancellor on his ass even though Cam had a full head of steam. That's the difference between college and NFL.

I'd like to add my limited 2 years of perspective about how we have drafted and what we can expect in this upcoming draft.

2016 - Coach Gase set the basic guidelines saying he wanted players (and I am paraphrasing here) , who were grinders, who were tough and smart and loved the game and had character. (He still is striving for this type of player). He did not say he wants characters, but as long as they commit to the team, work and are smart it won't be a problem. If you haven't figured it out yet, Coach Gase is a bit of a character himself.

The team had to grab anyone who could fill one of our many gaping holes. We had so many holes that prioritizing was of limited value. Our best bet was to grab the best available player that matched any of our positions of need. This meant that the strength of the draft class actually dictated which positions got filled; which good players were available for any of those positions of need as the draft progressed. I really do not know what else they could have done at this point. The results are still out as far as I'm concerned. The free agency selections were - meh, with the exception of the Alonso - Maxwell trade which really helped us.

2017 - The team addressed both the offense, the defense and special teams. They were disciplined and by all accounts followed their draft board. It seemed to me their main focus was on the defense, but there were selections made for each section of our team. I think they had a good draft. They followed this up with some good free agency selections used to fill holes the draft didn't.

2018 - Think of this draft as a target rich environment. We are not in as drastic a situation as we were in the 2016 draft. We are beginning to see the effects of the 2017 draft. The coaches know the players much better now and the players know what they have to do. The coaches have seen what these players could do in a good season last year and they see what they are doing in a disappointing season (based on my expectations) so far this year.

This is how I think their draft board will look. I don't know the number of selections available for each round, but since this is a general description of where we might go, that is not too important. The direction of need will stay the same. Note: there may be some swapping of priorities at any stage in the draft if there are going to be many good players for the position under consideration in the following round and an exceptional player is available and has too good a skill set to pass up. This will be more prevalent towards the last rounds of the draft.

1st round - Best Player Available - the position is not a driving concern considering our lack of depth.
(If the BPA matches one of our positions of need, it gives us one less hole to fill later in the draft.)
2nd round - Priority goes to the offensive line. (Center?)
3rd round - Priority goes to the offensive line. (Guard?)
4th round - Priority goes to the offensive backfield. (Quarterback or blocking running back (think fullback))
5th round - Priority goes to the defense. (Defensive BPA)
6th round - Priority goes to the offensive line. (Guard?)
7th round - Priority goes to special teams, with a bias towards the position of most need on the offense or the defense.

Free Agency - Fill remaining holes not dealt with via the draft with vets using show me contracts in case they work out.

Now, if someone can let me know what our draft positions are, I will be glad to expand the list.
I think this can be a reasonable basis for determining which players we draft. (Yes, I know there will be all kinds of trades and other things that will add to or detract from our draft, but it can handled as it arises.)

Say all you want about Zeke but the fact is the Dallas o-line is a machine. Has been for awhile. Watch that unit then watch ours. Guys like Zach Martin that are smart and human wrecking machines. The right kind of players.

Meanwhile we continue to draft complete morons like Tunsil. And we wonder why and say we need to rebuild the line. The same line we've been rebuilding for over a decade.

This isn't rocket science. But we sure make it out to be.

Ray um did you say draft a fullback in the fourth round? You do know the fullback is now extinct, right?

Otherwise your draft board is a whole lotta draft the BPA. Um sure we all agree.

How about this? We start actually looking into kids eyes and getting players that will buy in and work? Too many guys drafted like Dion Jordan and Tunsil plus other wastes of roster space. Look in their eyes and what do you see? Yeah it's a blank space baby. About the same as my avatar.

I keep hearing everyone parrot that saquan is better than zeke....on par sure. Better? Idk about that.

Saquon is much bigger, much much faster, stronger, and has better character than Elliott. Better hands as well. However, I would be dead set against this team trading up in the 1st round. We are headed toward a rebuild, and that kind of move would be counter productive. The opposite action would be more appropriate.

Saquon will almost assuredly become a Brown, now that Garrapollo is is a 49er.

Ray um did you say draft a fullback in the fourth round? You do know the fullback is now extinct, right?

Otherwise your draft board is a whole lotta draft the BPA. Um sure we all agree.

How about this? We start actually looking into kids eyes and getting players that will buy in and work? Too many guys drafted like Dion Jordan and Tunsil plus other wastes of roster space. Look in their eyes and what do you see? Yeah it's a blank space baby. About the same as my avatar.

Yes, I said fullback.
They were used to block and get short tough yardage. Why not re-introduce the position, since that is how we use some of our backs now.
It's true, there is a heavy bias in my list to BPA's.
Let me expand my draft based on some information I received about our draft positions.

Pick #21 - BPA
This is a good general rule for a first round pick, unless you are desperate for a quarterback.
Pick #54 - Offensive Line (Center?)
We need to improve the front line and I think the center is the FL's most important player. I don't know if this draft has the center we need.
Pick #85 - Offensive Line (Guard?)
Our need for better guards and Offensive Line depth is a priority.
Pick #118 - Offensive Line (Guard?)
Our need for better guards and Offensive Line depth is a priority.
Pick #124 - Offensive Backfield (Fullback?, Quarterback? )
We need to start looking at QB's for the future. We also need to be able to protect out quarterbacks better right now. Depends on candidates available.
Pick #182 - Defense (Defensive BPA)
We still need to beef up our Defense in all positions. We will know which positions need the most help by the end of the season.
Pick #197 - Defense (Defensive BPA)
We still need to beef up our Defense in all positions. We will know which positions need the most help by the end of the season.
Pick #213 - Offensive Backfield (Running Back)
We need to beef up our Running Back positions. We will know how serious this need is by the end of the season. We may need to draft for this position higher.
Pick #214 - Special Teams ( with a bias towards the position of most need on the offense or the defense)
This is typically how I see our last draft position being used.

Note: there may be some swapping of priorities at any stage in the draft if there are going to be many good players for the position under consideration in the following round and an exceptional player is available and has too good a skill set to pass up. I think this will be more prevalent towards the last rounds of the draft.

Nah, just draft Quenton Nelson. He is the highest graded OG perhaps ever. A lot of the big boards have him ranked 3rd. If he is there when we pick, we have to take him.

There are a ton of great RB's in this coming year's draft. I'm sure that was on their minds when they let Ajayi go.

We need to find a way to get Nelson and TE's Mark Andrews and Dallas Goedert.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...19BA734EF186AE65635619BA734EF186AE6&FORM=VIRE

Back
Top Bottom