nfl draft rumors | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

nfl draft rumors

imo mayocks got some serious dirt on fairley he's not telling the public about...i'm just glad we're not a 4-3 team looking at this kid...if you have a chance i would encourage you to make watching yesterdays path to the draft a priority...mayock was handing out some serious dish on players...great episode...almost like he was trying to get everything out cause he planned on not being on tonight

b/t miami is on the clock tonight on path to the draft

These draftniks throw the out the term "I wouldn't draft him in the first round" much too loosely. Mayock needs to stay away from the DL portion of the evaluations, because that McCoy over Suh prediction is still following him around today. I can respect not top 5 as well . . . but Fairley was arguably the most dominant DLineman in college football last year . . . how don't you take this guy in the top 32?

to be fair to him, a lot of people felt McCoy would be better than Suh in the pros. McCoy will be good though.

Everybody already knew Fairley was a one year wonder even when he was dominating during the season and being projected by the talking heads as potentially being the #1 overall pick....

His stock isn't sliding because he's a one year wonder. Again, everybody already knew that...

Nick Fairley's stock has taken a hit because the deeper you dig into his background, the more red flags pop up. The closer you watch the film and REALLY pay attention to him on every snap, and not just focus on his "splash" plays... the more you realize how he's capable of being invisible for long stretches. The effort and motor is inconsistent...

Not to mention his penchant for dirty hits on quarterbacks, which goes against the Holy Grail in the NFL...

That said, Nick Fairley isn't the only defensive lineman in this class that is a one year wonder and disappears in games who has been hyped as a potential top 5 pick...

I would absolutely take the gamble on Nick Fairley in the top 15-20 picks... You just can't let a guy that talented slide completely out of the 1st round. He's flat out unblockable when he WANTS to be... a double team won't even slow him down.

Smith to the Cowboys makes some sense. Jerry Jones reads everything that's written about him and is something of an insecure reactionary so all of the reportage that the Cowboys have never taken an OL in the first round makes me think he's foaming at the mouth to take one and prove everyone wrong. Amukamara or JJ Watt would be a better pick for them in my view but watch him break his own trend and justify it by talking about what an exceptional athlete Smith is.

But as I've said, I view all of Bunting's "rumors" columns with suspicion, especially after he said that he hadn't talked to anyone who had a higher grade on Dareus than Fairley.

Smith to the Cowboys makes some sense. Jerry Jones reads everything that's written about him and is something of an insecure reactionary so all of the reportage that the Cowboys have never taken an OL in the first round makes me think he's foaming at the mouth to take one and prove everyone wrong. Amukamara or JJ Watt would be a better pick for them in my view but watch him break his own trend and justify it by talking about what an exceptional athlete Smith is.

But as I've said, I view all of Bunting's "rumors" columns with suspicion, especially after he said that he hadn't talked to anyone who had a higher grade on Dareus than Fairley.

i think smith makes sense too but lets be real...the cowboys have no bigger need than help in the secondary...mike jenkins has been reading too much of his own press clippings after the 2009 season terrence newman is on his death bed allan ball is the worst nfl starting free safety i've seen since gibril wilson roamed our secondary in 2009...

i'd feel a ton better about taking a prince amukamura if he was there at #9 and finding a right tackle opposite doug free in the 2nd round than vice versa if i was the boys

honestly...if prince is there at #9 the boys should sprint the card up

Problem is that cowboys might feel they can address the secondary concerns in FA.

Problem is that cowboys might feel they can address the secondary concerns in FA.

too bad right now there is no scheduled free agency...all these teams should be looking right now at least to fill their needs via the draft...it's the only known commodity at this point

banking on a free agency that may never come is bad personnel management

scuttlebutt that dallas has an agreement with a mid round team that should either blaine gabbert or cam newton get to them at pick #9 they will trade out...evidently dallas isn't as enamored with prince amukamara as i thought and they are targeting an ot

could that mid round team be us??? it sure fits

scuttlebutt that dallas has an agreement with a mid round team that should either blaine gabbert or cam newton get to them at pick #9 they will trade out...evidently dallas isn't as enamored with prince amukamara as i thought and they are targeting an ot

could that mid round team be us??? it sure fits

Would make sense, but I couldn't see Miami trading up w/o that second rounder and no players involved. Just smoke and people throwing **** on a wall hoping it sticks so they can have it in print. This is the same team that wants to regain their second rounder. What are they going to do? Trade #15, #79 and their first next year for #9 and #40? I couldn't do that if I was Miami.

People always talk about this quarterback dropping or that quarterback dropping but outside of very specific factors the truth is they almost never do. A quarterback has been taken in the first three picks every year since 2001. Most of the time, a QB is taken #1. About half the time or so, another guy is taken before the seventh pick (Harrington, Leftwich, Rivers and Sanchez all being examples).

If a team thinks Gabbert or Newton is going to fall to #9, then that team is kidding themselves. Worse than that, they're bargain shopping at the most important position in sports. If we want either guy (and for the record, Cam Newton remains my #3 QB after Ponder, though I believe Newton will certainly be taken before him), it's going to take brass balls to get him. But like Ron Wolf says, there's no such thing as overpaying for a franchise quarterback. Find the guy you have conviction about and then belly up to the bar.

Would make sense, but I couldn't see Miami trading up w/o that second rounder and no players involved. Just smoke and people throwing **** on a wall hoping it sticks so they can have it in print. This is the same team that wants to regain their second rounder. What are they going to do? Trade #15, #79 and their first next year for #9 and #40? I couldn't do that if I was Miami.

#15 and a 2012 2nd i think would get it done for pick #9...rumor is that dallas is targeting carimi or tyron smith

#15 and a 2012 2nd i think would get it done for pick #9...rumor is that dallas is targeting carimi or tyron smith

If that's all it takes to get one of those QB's I would do it. But, there is a chance that both will be gone. Latest rumors have been that Carolina is taking a QB (not sure what one), there is a lot of teams that need a QB between 2 and 9.

I dunno, how valuable is a 2nd next year? I would think with the premium on draft picks this year with the lack of free agency looming, a 2012 pick doesn't seem that enticing for alot of teams. Don't most people put the value of a pick the "next" year a round lower? I mean Dallas could cave if they just want to trade down and still get a guy they like but I don't think the value is there with just a 2nd rounder next year.

With the premium on picks this year, the #40 pick this year is almost like getting an extra first IMO . . . Miami getting 2 of the top 40 picks in the draft, one being a QB and the other being whatever they want essentially . . . a first rounder next year is probably what is needed in the end to move up.

I mean in the end, I like getting my QB in the 2012 draft as the better option and taking Mark Ingram at 15 . . . that would be a win win for me, even though I'm one of the few that don't mind seeing Henne start in 2011. . . but if they think Gabbert or Newton is the guy . . . hell, may as well toss that first in for next year and get that #40 pick to get a guy to help you win this season. With no free agency and a regime on limited time, this may be the best approach for these guys.

I think a 2nd this year definitely would have gotten it done, not so sure about next year's second, we may need more than that. Trading up 6 spots into the top 10 I think requires more, but that is just my thinking.

In the end, I dunno if both guys make it to Dallas anyways, but it is fun to think about. As the days go by in these mock drafts . . . the main thing that has remained consistent is Miami taking Mark Ingram . . . to me that is more and more of an indication that he will not be a Miami Dolphin when it is all said an done so playing out these scenarios is actually kind of intriguing.

Back
Top Bottom