Nick Saban: Daunte Still a Prime Time Player (Post-Game Presser) | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nick Saban: Daunte Still a Prime Time Player (Post-Game Presser)

bluehaze said:
:clap: The most sensible post I think I have ever seen regarding the situation and yet you will still have a multitude of folks argue with you. It is clear there are many folks here who are Daunte Culpepper fans first and Miami Dolphin fans second.

And you can say the EXACT same thing about Joey Harrington.

unifiedtheory said:
And you can say the EXACT same thing about Joey Harrington.

Yes that is true as well although they are not nearly as apparent as the Culppper club they most definitely do exist here as well!

phinfan_1 said:
Thanks for the info CK....man I tell you what this is the part I like the most:

"A reporter bit on the remark and said "Do you feel you have enough prime time players to do it?"

And he answered "If they play like they are capable of, I do. Some of them aren't playing. One of them is playing up in Canada. And there's one that's hurt right now that were brought in to be guys that make a significant difference."

That made me fell alot better about still having Ricky next year...after Ricky's failed drug test came out of Denver I always wondered if Saban was trying to trade him...sounds like he really misses Ricky.
Another thing that made me fell better it sounds like he still has faith in CPEP.

Ricky and Daunte? That's our hope?
All hope is lost. He's counting on DC returning to his form of 2-3 yrs ago, which is no guarantee and he's counting on RW to stay clean.
Saban certainly likes to gamble with this franchise.

Finole said:
If the Fins pick anything other than a Left Tackle in the 1st round next year, our offense won't improve.

So what? The object is to build long term. If JH and DC are not the answers then the biggest priority is to start to groom a young QB

jlfin said:
So what? The object is to build long term. If JH and DC are not the answers then the biggest priority is to start to groom a young QB

O.K....Which QB coming out is a sure thing?

jlfin said:

You want to build long term? Put together a stellar offensive line. Ever hear somebody argue, "Who couldn't run (or throw) behind that offensive line?!"

ckparrothead said:
I'm 100% with you on the reports that Calvin Johnson has sub-4.4 speed. The day he runs a 4.35 will be the day I win the lottery.

The last I checked, the guy ran something more along the lines of a 4.5, maybe cracking into the 4.4 range.

And a report of a 47 inch vertical would have to be considered on the ridiculous side at this point, no offense to anyone. Let's see him reproduce those in Indy or at his pro day.

The actual 40 time doesn't matter so much as what his collective times tell you about his acceleration, burst, explosion and top speed.

But at this point to compare him to Mike Williams is not a very good comparison. Reggie Williams, maybe...but Mike Williams and Calvin Johnson are two very different draft prospects. There were maturity issues with Williams, also a pure physical conditioning issue with him having to do with him not having played any football in well over a year. I think those two have combined to hurt him way more than anything else in Detroit. Quite frankly, a lot of analysts looked at Mike Williams and never predicted him to be anything more than a tight end.

Nobody, and I do mean nobody, is saying that about Calvin Johnson.

Although I would say that about Jeff Samardjiza :)

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest he can't or won't be better than Williams, just that he strikes me as primarily a possession-type receiver without great explosiveness. He should be good, but he doesn't seem like a true difference maker at the NFL level to me.

I've never been a Keyshawn fan. That said, he's close to 800 receptions, is over 10,000 receiving yards and has 60+ TDs. He'll likely finish his career with better numbers than Michael Irvin.

Finole said:
You want to build long term? Put together a stellar offensive line. Ever hear somebody argue, "Who couldn't run (or throw) behind that offensive line?!"

Unfortunately you need 5 of them and neither of them touches the football on a regular basis.
A stellar O-line can be built without a top 3 draft pick. How many top 10 draft picks are sitting on the O-lines of the Broncos, Falcons, Pats, Steelers O-lines?
Pace and Walter Jones are 2 very good LT's but neither of them has the impact that their qb's have.

Finole said:
Ferguson handled ZT and JT pretty well.

LT Jonathan Ogden started all 16 games for BALT his 1st year.
LT Willie Roaf started all 16 games for N.O. his 1st year.
LT Chris Samuels started all 16 games for WASH his 1st year.
LT Jordan Gross started all 16 games for CAR his 1st year.
LT Leonard Davis started all 16 games for AZ his 1st year.
LT Tarik Glenn started all 16 games for Indy his 1st year.
LT Orlando Pace started 13 games for STL his 1st year.
LT Jammal Brown started 13 games for N.O. his 1st year.
LT Walter Jones (from FSU) started 12 games for SEA his 1st year.

I'm not saying it happens every time. But more often than not, when you pick the first Left Tackle available in the 1st round of the draft, he starts and makes an impact his first year.

He might not dominate until his second year. But McIntosh will never dominate.

The last great Left Tackle we had was Richmond Webb. Shula took him with the 9th pick in the 1st round. He was the first LT taken. He went to 7 Pro Bowls (including his first year - 1990). And he started all 16 games his first year.

I agree that we need a dominating LOT. I'm not against drafting Thomas but I would prefer Brian Brohm or Calvin Johnson with Thomas being 3rd. The reason is I really think Brohm will be a star in the NFL and being able to get a star QB is not easy as we all know. Johnson would be my second simply because I dont see any flaws in his game and I think we need a playmaker in our receiving corps. I've given up on expecting Chambers to do that week in and week out. DE Gaines Adams would normally be my 3rd choice but due to our need to shore up the tackle position I would gamble on Thomas. And it would be a gamble in that he doesnt seem to have good knee bend. He seems to seal his blocks instead of driving his blocks. But I havent seen enough of him to be sure about that

fishypete said:
O.K....Which QB coming out is a sure thing?

O.K... name ANY player that is a sure thing. If you mention Thomas, I'll respond with Mandarich, Mike Williams.

jlfin said:
O.K... name ANY player that is a sure thing. If you mention Thomas, I'll respond with Mandarich, Mike Williams.

I guess you don't have an answer....and thats what I thought to begin with....there's no Marino's....or Elways...in the up coming draft....you have some decent prospects....but no shining stars.

We need a team full of talented players....not a decent QB....we have that already...if it was a Manning....that would be a different story....your then willing to spend a top pick for a player that has the "game" within him....but again...there's no QB coming out of college that can carry a team on his back...as Marino and Elway did...or as Manning does. We need too many players on many positions to waste on another chance QB....Build the O-line...get a real number 1 receiver....get a cover corner...get a linebacker...those needs are far more important.

fishypete said:
I guess you don't have an answer....and thats what I thought to begin with....there's no Marino's....or Elways...in the up coming draft....you have some decent prospects....but no shining stars.

We need a team full of talented players....not a decent QB....we have that already...if it was a Manning....that would be a different story....your then willing to spend a top pick for a player that has the "game" within him....but again...there's no QB coming out of college that can carry a team on his back...as Marino and Elway did...or as Manning does. We need too many players on many positions to waste on another chance QB....Build the O-line...get a real number 1 receiver....get a cover corner...get a linebacker...those needs are far more important.

There is no sure thing in any draft and that includes Marino. Why do you think the Dolphins got him 27th overrall in that draft?? If he would've been a sure thing, a team would've picked him up way before us! The draft is never a sure thing with any player.

Fineas said:
Oh, I didn't mean to suggest he can't or won't be better than Williams, just that he strikes me as primarily a possession-type receiver without great explosiveness. He should be good, but he doesn't seem like a true difference maker at the NFL level to me.

I've never been a Keyshawn fan. That said, he's close to 800 receptions, is over 10,000 receiving yards and has 60+ TDs. He'll likely finish his career with better numbers than Michael Irvin.

Wow I just really disagree with the notion that Calvin Johnson is not an explosive playmaker. He makes deep plays happen. He's not a possession receiver, he's an everything receiver.

as for people saying they are a daunte fan first and dolphin fan second that is total bs

yeah i like daunte culpepper but also i liked damon huard/jay fiedler etc some of the people who are quick to bash people for not wanting to go to backups are the same ones who wanted fiedler benched for aj feeley

brandon1986 said:
as for people saying they are a daunte fan first and dolphin fan second that is total bs

yeah i like daunte culpepper but also i liked damon huard/jay fiedler etc some of the people who are quick to bash people for not wanting to go to backups are the same ones who wanted fiedler benched for aj feeley

Yes that is a ridiculous claim to be made on anyone.

Except in the case of DoggPhin, who actually is a Joey Harrington fan first and foremost...and not even really a Dolphins fan. He followed Joey's career from Oregon Ducks message boards, to Lions message boards, and now to here. About 90% of his posts on here have been about Harrington. His dedication to Joey baffles me. I really think he might be related, or be a friend or something.

Back
Top Bottom