Nick Saban: Daunte Still a Prime Time Player (Post-Game Presser) | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nick Saban: Daunte Still a Prime Time Player (Post-Game Presser)

fishypete said:
Why did the Dolphins trade a 2nd rounder for a player who at the least wouldn't be able to play for two years? And thats IF he comes back from the injury in the first place. That to me is a risky acquistion....filled with a sign of desperation....the same type of desperation that acquired Ricky....and keeps him still on the team.:shakeno:

generally 2nd round picks aren't heavily counted on to produce during their first year. If they are you do not have a good team

fishypete said:
Well I truely hope your expectation of Culpepper coming back doesn't make you jump off a roof....there's a very good chance he never be able to come back.:lol:

Added note....by the way, when you hear from Culpepper that his knee is sore...thats not a good sign....it means he wasn't ready to play to begin with and that they may be over working that knee now. So we all were lied to one way or the other....but by whom? Did Culpepper scam the coaches and doctors....or was it the other way around?

there is also a very good chance if Miami drafts a QB that he will fail.

I don't think it is a scam as it is more he over estimated himself.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
generally 2nd round picks aren't heavily counted on to produce during their first year. If they are you do not have a good team

Jason Taylor was a second round pick....Chambers was a second round pick, Crowder was a second round pick.

fishypete said:
Jason Taylor was a second round pick....Chambers was a second round pick, Crowder was a second round pick.

Jason Taylor was a third round pick as was Crowder. Taylor was decent his first year, Chambers was a deep threat only his rookie year and Crowder started because Miami really needed a linebacker.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
there is also a very good chance if Miami drafts a QB that he will fail.

I don't think it is a scam as it is more he over estimated himself.

I highly doubt the Dolphins will use their first rounder on a QB in the draft....they need talent to support the QB....and I don't see any QB coming out in the draft, that is better than what we have....and that can win without talent on the team.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Jason Taylor was a third round pick as was Crowder. Taylor was decent his first year, Chambers was a deep threat only his rookie year and Crowder started because Miami really needed a linebacker.

Thanks...you made my point even better. Taylor was decent his first year? He leads all Dolphins for sacks and fumbles and fumble recovery.

I agree about Chambers....he's been a non factor most of his career....but disagree about Crowder...he's been playing very well...and is one of the few players that plays with some heart.

bluehaze said:
Yes I think you did.

I missed the point of you being ridiculous because you said that thinking that Daunte could be an answer to being the quarterback of the Dolphins meant that you are a Daunte Culpepper fan and not a Dolphin fan?

fishypete said:
Thanks...you made my point even better. Taylor was decent his first year? He leads all Dolphins for sacks and fumbles and fumble recovery.

I agree about Chambers....he's been a non factor most of his career....but disagree about Crowder...he's been playing very well...and is one of the few players that plays with some heart.

I am not saying Crowder didn't play well. I am saying that he was drafted and started because Miami was weak at linebacker. The more draft picks you rely to start the weaker the team is.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
I am not saying Crowder didn't play well. I am saying that he was drafted and started because Miami was weak at linebacker. The more draft picks you rely to start the weaker the team is.

Miami is weak at almost every position....but if you draft wisely...it doesn't matter what round the player is selected in. Spragan was a undrafted linebacker, Zack a 5th rounder and Crowder as you wrote...a 3rd round pick.

Receivers....Chambers...2nd round selection, Booker...a 3rd round drafted player....Hagan...another 3rd round selection.

Sometimes your lucky...and someimes you step in it....each fan will have to make up their own minds which holds true to them...on each player the Dolphins have on the roster.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:

The idea is to build the talent on the team, from the draft and you add free agents to finish the job....the problem is the Dolphins don't have but a few first round players still playing on the team....so you have alot of average players on the roster....and you get what you pay for....average players...play average games.

DolphinsFan23 said:
Check out some of this stuff about Calvin Johnson. Perfect 6'4", 225 lb. size and 4.35 speed ... acrobatic catches, very few DROPPED BALLS. This guy really makes you drool just thinking about the possibilities. With Daunte Culpepper back to his 2004 levels it would be UNBELIEVABLE.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=606

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/acc/2006-08-28-gatech-johnson_x.htm

This part of the USA Today article grabs your attention:

"Georgia Tech junior wide receiver Calvin Johnson is counting on one hand the number of passes he dropped during the 2005 season."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI5VBX98PBg

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=calvin+johnson

Yeah, that's what makes me intriguged about him. He's like a bigger, faster, and probably better route runner-chris Chambers, "without the drops". His vertical even matches Chambers, or is even better, which is amazing since Chambers has to have the second best vertical behind R.Moss.

cltchperf said:
Yeah, that's what makes me intriguged about him. He's like a bigger, faster, and probably better route runner-chris Chambers, "without the drops". His vertical even matches Chambers, or is even better, which is amazing since Chambers has to have the second best vertical behind R.Moss.

Does the name "Troy Williamson" ring a bell?

cltchperf said:
This is why it is important to to look at the facts overall and not just what you want to look at. Yeah, Ronnie Brown had hardly any blocking and started off slow, but the football game is 60 minutes. You don't give up on the ground game, espeically when the team is only down by a few points and theres plenty of time. Ronnie Brown only gets better the more carries he gets. I'll even start out before half to prove why Miami should have given Brown the ball more. Miami has the ball with 5:32 left before half. What do have? A fifteen yard gain from Ronnie on the first play. Ok so he gets one yard next, but then how about 8 yards. Ok the next drive only had two plasy, 3 yards not good, but not bad, move a little forward, but then Joey throws an int. Well it;s the next possession for Miami in the third quarter, (the second half). So what happens, Ronnie gets a nice 5 yard gain. From the rest on is primarliy passes, except for one Sammy morries run. Hey what do know, Ronnie gets another big gain for 9 yards, 5:30 left in the third quarter. With another rare opportunity for Brown he gets 5 yards. Then on the same possession he would have had 18 yards if it wasn't for holding on Jeno James. So what do you know, Ronnie just starts to get going, and Miami passes every play even though they had plenty of time and were only down by a few points until the very end. A person who makes a good debate looks at everything thoroughly. Here's the link: you can check for yourself. From 5:32 left from the 2nd quarted an onward. His ypc average was not good in the beginning, but from there on it raised considerably. Continue that momentum and it could end up being good. You don't give up on the ground game and become one dimensional, because it makes the defenses job a lot easier. Especially when there is plenty of time left and the team is only down by a few points.

There are more times than you think where a good rb starts of, not too good with a low ypc for the first half, but then gets going, and before you know it he ends up having a good game and the ypc increases from big runs and now its a pretty good. Just as the opposite happens where a rb starts off on fire, but byt the second half or later he can't gain any yards,a nd his good performance changes to a bad one, and his good ypc drops to a bad one. Of course, you would want a rb to play well through the whole game, but this is the NFL ,a dn that is not always going to happend especially if the ol is awful blocking for the run. What I'm saying is Ronnie should have had the chance, because he was just starting to get momentum and run well, and then Miami decides to stop running the ball even though there's plenty of time, and only a small deficit. Ronnie gains 9 yards on one situation, so what is the play calling? All pass plays, when all they had to do was gaing one stinking yard, which is more important. It's kinda of helpful to get the first down, before you try scoring.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay/NFL_20061022_GB@MIA

You're right. I'm just angry.

flintsilver7 said:
Does the name "Troy Williamson" ring a bell?

I didn't think Williamson had a great vertical, it was probably like 40 or 42''. Johnson has a 47'' vertical. I'm not saying that is the most important thing, but we see those nearly impossible catches Chambers gets when he jumps to the heavens and pulls one in bounds, this guy can do that, but he will also not drop the easy pass either. Calvin Johnson has been double teamed and he is still porducing well for his team, and even coming back from naggin injuries he has done well also, so he seems like he could be quite the prospect.

Back
Top Bottom