Nick Saban: Daunte Still a Prime Time Player (Post-Game Presser) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nick Saban: Daunte Still a Prime Time Player (Post-Game Presser)

cltchperf said:
Yeah, I saw an article about Calvin Johnson in my SI magazine. Judging from the reading he seems to be a phenominal WR. The problem is that even though I would love Miami to get him if they have a top pick, I would also be nervous, because he will most likely be a top 5 pick. There are a lot of good first round WRs, but it seems like the ones that go in the top five are alright or they are busts. The best and top wideouts in the NFL have come in the second and third rds. Steve Smith was drafted in the third round, T.O was drafted in the third round, I believe, Chad Johnson was drafted in the second round, and Anquan Boldin was drafted in the second round. We all know about David Terrell, and Keyshawn has been alright but not of the caliber of a 1st overall pick. Fitzgerald was a top 5 pick though, but I thought there were quite a bit Wrs that were either alright or busts that were drafted in the top, maybe I'm wrong, though. I just don't know if WR would be the best thing if Miami had a top WR with what I just stated and they could get a top defensinve player instead. But he would probably be the best player availavle also, and you wouldn't want to miss that either. I read where Calvin Johnson is one WR that has the vertical that can match Chambers, but he has good hands, and is big, and fast. This might not exactly be true, but in Johnson's measurable, his vertical leap measured 47''.

There I believe that you can't draft scared of the past trends. You analyze those trends but it's important to note that the trends have to be statistically strong and have to have a reason for existence in order to be considered worthy of note.

Otherwise, I (and the scouts) feel stronger about Calvin Johnson than about any other receiver that has come out of the draft aside from maybe Larry Fitzgerald, and maybe Braylon Edwards. I think people like to bring up guys like David Terrell, Troy Williamson and Mike Williams, but I think it's plain that everyone evaluates Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Braylon Edwards to be on a different level from guys like Mike Williams and David Terrell.

Charles Rogers and Andre Johnson were almost at that level but not quite at the same level as those three.

On the other hand, Peter Warrick was also considered *that* good. As was Keyshawn Johnson.

But keep in mind that Keyshawn was traded by the Jets to the Bucs for two 1st round picks. And, before that, he helped the Jets win a lot of ball games (against us) by catching 31 TDs in his first four years with the Jets, and averaging 5 catches for 66 yards, 0.5 TDs a game over his first four seasons (equates out to 79 catches for 1,060 yards and 8 TDs a season). This is impressive since typically the first two years a receiver is in the league, he is developing and is not generally expected to become an 1100+ yard guy right away.

Keyshawn is a great example of why you draft a player instead of a position...because really, no Keyshawn has not turned out to be some hall of famer although he's been very good throughout his career. BUT, the Jets returned value for the investment. He not only produced for them for four years, but they spent a #1 overall pick on him and four years later got two 1st rounders for him. It's a fantastic example of how even if you end up with different position priorities down the line, drafting a talent instead of a position helps you keep that value within the team structure instead of pissing it away.

The Jets turned those two first round picks into John Abraham and Anthony Becht. Becht may have fizzled out (I'm not a big fan of first round TEs unless they are Vernon Davis types)...but they got a lot of plays from Abraham on that defense, and now they traded him to the Falcons in exchange for a first round pick from the Broncos (3-way trade) and now that pick turned into Nick Mangold. So Keyshawn Johnson has really proved to be the pick that keeps on giving...from four years of Keyshawn's production (305 catches, 4,108 yards and 31 TDs) to 6 years of John Abraham's production (283 tackles, 53.5 sacks, 19 FFums), and now on to Nick Mangold.

cltchperf said:
quote by Finole:
2nd and 10, R. Brown rushed to the right for no gain
1st and 10, R. Brown rushed up the middle for 2 yard loss

You mean run the ball like that, right?

I suppose you would like the coaches to run the ball on 3rd and 10, 3rd and 8, 2nd and 20, 3rd and 14, 3rd and 10, 3rd and 9, 3rd and 21, 2nd and 19. Any of these down and distances sound familiar? They should. That's what the Fins were faced with against GB.

Ronnie had 15 carries for 59 yards.
And 5 receptions for 63 yards.
That's 122 total yards.

Would you prefer 20 carries for 79 yards?

This is why it is important to to look at the facts overall and not just what you want to look at. Yeah, Ronnie Brown had hardly any blocking and started off slow, but the football game is 60 minutes. You don't give up on the ground game, espeically when the team is only down by a few points and theres plenty of time. Ronnie Brown only gets better the more carries he gets. I'll even start out before half to prove why Miami should have given Brown the ball more. Miami has the ball with 5:32 left before half. What do have? A fifteen yard gain from Ronnie on the first play. Ok so he gets one yard next, but then how about 8 yards. Ok the next drive only had two plasy, 3 yards not good, but not bad, move a little forward, but then Joey throws an int. Well it;s the next possession for Miami in the third quarter, (the second half). So what happens, Ronnie gets a nice 5 yard gain. From the rest on is primarliy passes, except for one Sammy morries run. Hey what do know, Ronnie gets another big gain for 9 yards, 5:30 left in the third quarter. With another rare opportunity for Brown he gets 5 yards. Then on the same possession he would have had 18 yards if it wasn't for holding on Jeno James. So what do you know, Ronnie just starts to get going, and Miami passes every play even though they had plenty of time and were only down by a few points until the very end. A person who makes a good debate looks at everything thoroughly. Here's the link: you can check for yourself. From 5:32 left from the 2nd quarted an onward. His ypc average was not good in the beginning, but from there on it raised considerably. Continue that momentum and it could end up being good. You don't give up on the ground game and become one dimensional, because it makes the defenses job a lot easier. Especially when there is plenty of time left and the team is only down by a few points.

There are more times than you think where a good rb starts of, not too good with a low ypc for the first half, but then gets going, and before you know it he ends up having a good game and the ypc increases from big runs and now its a pretty good. Just as the opposite happens where a rb starts off on fire, but byt the second half or later he can't gain any yards,a nd his good performance changes to a bad one, and his good ypc drops to a bad one. Of course, you would want a rb to play well through the whole game, but this is the NFL ,a dn that is not always going to happend especially if the ol is awful blocking for the run. What I'm saying is Ronnie should have had the chance, because he was just starting to get momentum and run well, and then Miami decides to stop running the ball even though there's plenty of time, and only a small deficit. Ronnie gains 9 yards on one situation, so what is the play calling? All pass plays, when all they had to do was gaing one stinking yard, which is more important. It's kinda of helpful to get the first down, before you try scoring.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay/NFL_20061022_GB@MIA

Nice....couldn't have said it better.

correct mistakes in a positive way, continue showing them how to do what they need to do..

nice advise, but when is nickstedt going to start doing it?

he hasnt so far!

yes, he is timid and nice and positive, but how has that
turned out? sometimes you DO have to yell and make
your point along with being a good teacher [see mike
shannahan, bill walsh, bill billichek, dick vermiel]......

saban has done NOTHING and seems to be playing and
making decisions not to lose instead of to win.

he knows he is on thisn ice with the players, coaches,
fans and media now and everything he does is timid and
guarded.

you have to take some chances to win, both as a player and
a coach. but if your playing/coaching scared, there is no
edge and facilitates a losing mentality.

saban is lost. the nfl world is just to big and coupled with his
dual roll as coach/gm, it was doomed from the beginning!

saban doesnt need to be more timid. it is time he starts making
changes and PUBLICLY getting on the players who make silly
mistakes. AND, he needs to start taking some responsability
for his mistakes.

ATTENTION E-BAYERS" do not buy from MIXCUTERZ!!
they sell broken merchandise and give no refunds.

ckparrothead said:
And for a fan base that got use to winning games with Jay Fiedler at the helm I guess I should be able to see why they'd go with the familiar demon in Harrington over the unfamiliar chance in Culpepper.

But the fact of the matter is Harrington's given us no reason to believe his flaws will ever change and he's shown us everything he showed in Oregon and in Detroit.

Meanwhile Daunte's pattern of play has clearly been affected by his knee injury, which by all means should get better over time.

And Daunte has shown that his "slow decision making process" is good enough to have one of the best seasons a QB has ever had, even without much help from a gimpy Randy Moss who only played for 2/3rds of the season.

ck, i hope you are right about his knee. i was just talking with a fellow FinFan and i told him...the only thing that would make me feel better about this season...is if C-PEP comes back to play in some games at the end of the season...and look good playing. that would provide me with some hope for next season. i truely felt that C-PEP was OUR QB of the future...I really felt that our QB problems would be solved...i guess i expected this too soon...but it's not to late...this season looks like it's lost but i want to see C-PEP healthy and playing well by the end of this season...if he can get healthy of course. but i have a feeling that C-PEP will be heading to IR...soon. Do you think that he will end up on the IR list?

Go Fins!!!

Good post and thread, CK. You're right on as usual. Daunte IS our long term answer, and Joey certainly has shown he is NOT. Given that, I hope Joey improves but wouldn't mind seeing Lemon in a few games this year, since we're out of any contention anyway and we should see what we've got in Lemon, what do you think?

Wait, Daunte is our long term answer? When did this happen? Dating back to last year he has either been hurt or has done nothing when playing.

flintsilver7 said:
Wait, Daunte is our long term answer? When did this happen? Dating back to last year he has either been hurt or has done nothing when playing.

Now you spoiled it....:lol:

flintsilver7 said:

Dating back to when the front office evaluated he and Drew Brees as candidates to be our long term answer at QB, decided on Daunte Culpepper, sent a 2nd round pick for him in trade and then took $7 million of roster bonuses and salaries and guaranteed it so that it will be prorated over the life of the contract.

If you disagree with that original decision, go ahead and send your resume into the head office. I'm sure they'll be very quick to hand the reins over to you.

flintsilver7 said:

5 Pages and several essays defeated in one question and one sentence :lol:

bluehaze said:
5 Pages and several essays defeated in one question and one sentence :lol:

The irrational banter of a person that is not able to debate with logic, only with one-liners and smileys.

ckparrothead said:
The irrational banter of a person that is not able to debate with logic, only with one-liners and smileys.

ck...did you read my post? i was wondering if you thought that C-PEP would be put on IR?

Go Fins!!!

cltchperf said:
Yeah, I saw an article about Calvin Johnson in my SI magazine. Judging from the reading he seems to be a phenominal WR. The problem is that even though I would love Miami to get him if they have a top pick, I would also be nervous, because he will most likely be a top 5 pick. There are a lot of good first round WRs, but it seems like the ones that go in the top five are alright or they are busts. The best and top wideouts in the NFL have come in the second and third rds. Steve Smith was drafted in the third round, T.O was drafted in the third round, I believe, Chad Johnson was drafted in the second round, and Anquan Boldin was drafted in the second round. We all know about David Terrell, and Keyshawn has been alright but not of the caliber of a 1st overall pick. Fitzgerald was a top 5 pick though, but I thought there were quite a bit Wrs that were either alright or busts that were drafted in the top, maybe I'm wrong, though. I just don't know if WR would be the best thing if Miami had a top WR with what I just stated and they could get a top defensinve player instead. But he would probably be the best player availavle also, and you wouldn't want to miss that either. I read where Calvin Johnson is one WR that has the vertical that can match Chambers, but he has good hands, and is big, and fast. This might not exactly be true, but in Johnson's measurable, his vertical leap measured 47''.

Check out some of this stuff about Calvin Johnson. Perfect 6'4", 225 lb. size and 4.35 speed ... acrobatic catches, very few DROPPED BALLS. This guy really makes you drool just thinking about the possibilities. With Daunte Culpepper back to his 2004 levels it would be UNBELIEVABLE.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=606

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/acc/2006-08-28-gatech-johnson_x.htm

This part of the USA Today article grabs your attention:

"Georgia Tech junior wide receiver Calvin Johnson is counting on one hand the number of passes he dropped during the 2005 season."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI5VBX98PBg

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=calvin+johnson

ckparrothead said:

Looks more like a person just stating facts to me, dont see anything irrational about it :confused:

bluehaze said:
Looks more like a person just stating facts to me, dont see anything irrational about it :confused:

To an irrational person.......it wouldn't seem irrational.

Breed said:
To an irrational person.......it wouldn't seem irrational.

So who's the irrational one here? The one willing to bet the house on a one legged QB or the one keeping their money in the bank?

Back
Top Bottom