Nick Saban: Daunte Still a Prime Time Player (Post-Game Presser) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nick Saban: Daunte Still a Prime Time Player (Post-Game Presser)

daunte is still a prime time player he is still playing as good as a fully healthy joey

daunte will be back to form next year and having ricky will be a big help, well that is if we have an OC that calls some runs for ronnie and ricky

One positive about Saban stating that one of our prime time players is playing in Canada is that he probably has no plans to trde Ricky this offseason. If that's as clear as I think it is that should save finheaven from about 500000000000000000000000 garbage threads about trading Ricky. Ahh nevermind I'm sure they will still be here.

I'm not calling Saban a bust....I'm calling him a coward....how many times today did he go for a fieldgoal....needing 2 or 3 yds.....with a team thats 1-5 at the time....I'm sorry....seems you have little faith in your running game to get 2 or 3 yds on a third down....never mind a 4th down when you are losing late and have even less to lose. Why did you spend the 2nd pick in the 2005 draft...on Ronnie Brown....if you have no faith in him to get a couple yds?
If thats not coaching scared...I don't know what else to call it....even on the last drive...it was 4th down....he brings in MARE...and you can see Harrington face....like what the heck are you doing? Whats 3 points going to do....opps....fieldgoal missed....I'm sure that made the team happy....it did me....so Saban stop being a coward....stop coaching scared....you have a team thats 1-6....and NOTHING to lose.

ckparrothead said:
My mind has not changed...at all. I've appreciated how good of a player Daunte Culpepper is probably since about 2003. He had some challenging years in 2001 and 2002 as the wheels began to really fall off the Vikings organization. 2001 was the worst year really.

What I was pointing out in that thread is the bifurcation that happens between perception and reality when a certain set of conditions present themselves. That's why I made the statement "even if it isn't true, that's the way it is going to look"

I was pointing out everything that really was the truth. There was and indeed still is the possibility that Daunte cannot achieve the success he enjoyed in 2003 & 2004 without having a good coordinator with a style that suits him, and a good receiver.

He doesn't have that coordinator here in Miami right now...or at least not yet. Scott Linehan really did a bit of a 180 in the second half of 2005 and I'm not going to discount the possibility that Mularkey does the same.

Anyway what I was predicting would happen in Minnesota is exactly what ended up happening. The perception became reality for them, to the point where Daunte's trade value went from sky high in 2004, to a 2nd rounder in 2005. The perception would be based on the coincidental correlations between the Minnesota offense and Randy Moss.

Well one thing I totally forgot before that was that Minnesota was already a good offense when Randy Moss got there. Denny Green usually led a good offense while there. They were #4 in offense in 1995, #11 in 1997, #7 in 1994, and #4 in 1992...all under Denny Green.

But if I could forget that, so too could many other people and that showed when everyone conveniently attributed all of Minnesota's offensive success to Randy Moss and then conveniently overlooked how Randy has hardly helped turn Oakland into an offensive juggernaut.

Also a thing I was inaccurate on was Daunte's contract. He didn't get new money added to it at all. They converted some of the roster and salary into guaranteed then promised that they'd review it again after the 2005 season. I was unaware of that..

That's what I was getting at...perception vs. reality. Daunte was NOT playing well in 2005...and was certainly not playing up to his salary. There were a myriad of reasons and I even said what it was...it was the offense. Probably a lot more about Scott being gone and about the horrible OL, ground game and WRs than about Randy Moss in particular not being there.

I think what we had here in Miami is a lot of perception vs. reality too. When did Daunte lose games? Right at the beginning of the season, when everyone was STILL under the impression that we were going to be a good team this year.

That made those losses from Daunte all the more unforgivable.

Once it became clear that we're not a good team from head to toe, Joey's performances have been much more forgivable, and indeed many people out there keep trying to pretend he's looked better than Daunte when the stark reality is that he has not.

The misnomer is that I'm excusing everything Daunte did while failing to excuse everything Joey did. This is just not the truth. I don't excuse anything either of them has done. However, the simple fact of the matter is that there are a lot of people out there that are giving Daunte less credit than he deserves, and giving Joey more credit than he deserves.

I made it clear that before this game I gave Joey a C grade for the year and Daunte also got a C. I think my expectation was that Daunte would have given me about a B grade in his four games, while I've never expected Joey to give me better than a C on anything, so if anything I'm much more disappointed in Daunte per se than Joey...because Joey has turned out to be just what I thought while Daunte turned out to be a little ways away from achieving what I thought he'd achieve.

i see what your saying. i do think that joey has looked better, not tons but better. but like you said it may be because dc was supposed to be alot better than what he has shown.so in your opinion what happens this off season,if dc doesnt play the rest of the year how can we keep him at his salary.you know that if we draft a qb high it will send him through the roof.
like you said dc has to be in the right situation and i dont believe that we will have those pieces in place next year.
also i think that calling either one of these 2 a franchise qb is wrong i think there are only3 maybe 4 franchise qbs in the afc.every starting qb is not a franchise qb even if they made it to a probowl

finintheburgh said:
i see what your saying. i do think that joey has looked better, not tons but better. but like you said it may be because dc was supposed to be alot better than what he has shown.so in your opinion what happens this off season,if dc doesnt play the rest of the year how can we keep him at his salary.you know that if we draft a qb high it will send him through the roof.
like you said dc has to be in the right situation and i dont believe that we will have those pieces in place next year.
also i think that calling either one of these 2 a franchise qb is wrong i think there are only3 maybe 4 franchise qbs in the afc.every starting qb is not a franchise qb even if they made it to a probowl

What I think is that fresh off the knee surgery, a mediocre stint surrounded by a pathetic team is hardly anything to start concluding things.

You judge Daunte by what happened from 1999 to 2005, a heck of a lot more than you judge Daunte on those four games in 2006. That's what I am saying right now.

We will not be drafting a QB high, unless Daunte comes back in this year and does a heck of a lot more damage to his name. I'm not discounting that possibility...but I do not find it likely either.

Saban wants us to get players that help this team become overachievers. If we pick REALLY high, I expect him to be really high on Calvin Johnson.

Our receivers group is good, they get open and they are capable of making plays, but they are not consistent and that is really led by Chambers who is most inconsistent of them all.

If Derek Hagan has shown anything this year, in his rookie year, it is that he IS what we thought he might be coming out of the draft. He's big, and he's fast, he's a hard worker and god help him that boy can get open. BUT, he drops the ball. Not every ball, but he does drop some of them. I think teams allowed that to drop him into a 3rd round pick because, in the end, he'll never reach above the level of a guy like Eddie Kennison so long as he drops balls. Eddie Kennison, btw, is no Marvin Harrison or Torry Holt.

Miami got a great deal though, Hagan in the 3rd. That's a good deal because he's going to be a solid player that gets open a lot for a long time, and he works hard too.

And of course if you had a bunch of Wes Welkers you'd be ok.

But Marty Booker is not long for Miami...injuries, age, salary just pretty much ensure that much.

And truthfully, Chris Chambers is still too inconsistent. You need prime time difference makers...and if you're depending on Chambers to be a prime time difference maker every game you're going to be disappointed 60% of the time.

That's why you diffuse the responsibility as much as possible and add the best playmaker possible to the team and if we draft #1 or #2, to me that is Calvin Johnson. Period.

And if not, then a Joe Thomas or Sam Baker for the OL.

And if not, then an Adam Carriker, Marcus Thomas, Justin Harrell, etc for the defense.

ckparrothead said:
Nice try though. Saban just clearly pointed to Daunte as one of our prime time players, implying strongly that we miss him as a difference maker, and this comes in addition to numerous statements to the effect of a healthy Daunte is our long term starting quarterback...
Yeah real nice try. Saban didn't even mention Daunte Culpepper by name did he? Just referred to "prime time players" but you're twisting his presser to somehow focus on Daunte?? The presser was discussing many things - not Daunte.

Your fixation on Daunte is truly amazing, what are you gonna do when he's history? Just move on I guess. Thanks again for the personal stuff, Pot calling Kettle Black - all you do is write long posts promoting the Pooper and making excuses for the Pooper. Hey at least MY guy is the starting QB - your guy isn't even listed as active.

The real NEWS is that Marcus Vick is now our 3rd stringer - not your attempt to spin Saban's press conference. Nice Try is right!! :lol:

All I know is whatever method of "psychology" Saban is using isn't working. He needs to make some MAJOR changes. This team is playing just about the sloppiest football I have ever seen at the NFL level. My confidence in Saban's coaching ability is rapidly falling. Even if we lose we can still clean up all the stupid mistakes. IMO we are getting worse, not better.

DoggPhin said:
Yeah real nice try. Saban didn't even mention Daunte Culpepper by name did he? Just referred to "prime time players" but you're twisting his presser to somehow focus on Daunte?? The presser was discussing many things - not Daunte.

Your fixation on Daunte is truly amazing, what are you gonna do when he's history? Just move on I guess. Thanks again for the personal stuff, Pot calling Kettle Black - all you do is write long posts promoting the Pooper and making excuses for the Pooper. Hey at least MY guy is the starting QB - your guy isn't even listed as active.

The real NEWS is that Marcus Vick is now our 3rd stringer - not your attempt to spin Saban's press conference. Nice Try is right!! :lol:

Your football knowledge doesn't even begin to compare to that of CK; not to mention he makes a much better case for his argument.

As for his "fixation"; CK is one of the least bias persons on this board........which is more than I can say for some.

Breed said:
Your football knowledge doesn't even begin to compare to that of CK; not to mention he makes a much better case for his argument.

As for his "fixation"; CK is one of the least bias persons on this board........which is more than I can say for some.

To someone obsessed with asserting that Joey Harrington is better than Daunte Culpepper, I will naturally look like I am obsessed with Daunte Culpepper. This is because, despite the fact that I post about a wide variety of topics having to do with the Dolphins, Mr. Ducks Fan over here is only jumping into the arguments that concern Joey Harrington.

And since I'm of the opinion that Daunte has shown that he is a much better QB than Harrington, from Mr. Duck Fan's angle he will forever see me as obsessed with Culpepper...simply because when I post about something else, he doesn't bother to jump in.

I can guarantee one thing though. When Joey Harrington is traded or cut from the Dolphins, Mr. Ducks Fan will leave FinHeaven, never to be seen again...just as he left the Lions message boards when Joey was traded to Miami.

DoggPhin said:

Well, when Saban says "we're missing prime time players, one is in Canada and the other one is hurt" who the hell do you think he is talking about?

BTW, you got into this pissing match a few weeks ago in another thread with backhanded comments about people making long posts. Yet you still have not contributed one thing of substance accept for your glaring man love for Harrington.

unifiedtheory said:
Well, when Saban says "we're missing prime time players, one is in Canada and the other one is hurt" who the hell do you think he is talking about?

BTW, you got into this pissing match a few weeks ago in another thread with backhanded comments about people making long posts. Yet you still have not contributed one thing of substance accept for your glaring man love for Harrington.

You mean Ricky is playing in Canabis?:sidelol:

unifiedtheory said:

damn i was hoping it was joe berger

ckparrothead said:
To someone obsessed with asserting that Joey Harrington is better than Daunte Culpepper, I will naturally look like I am obsessed with Daunte Culpepper. This is because, despite the fact that I post about a wide variety of topics having to do with the Dolphins, Mr. Ducks Fan over here is only jumping into the arguments that concern Joey Harrington.

And since I'm of the opinion that Daunte has shown that he is a much better QB than Harrington, from Mr. Duck Fan's angle he will forever see me as obsessed with Culpepper...simply because when I post about something else, he doesn't bother to jump in.

I can guarantee one thing though. When Joey Harrington is traded or cut from the Dolphins, Mr. Ducks Fan will leave FinHeaven, never to be seen again...just as he left the Lions message boards when Joey was traded to Miami.

EXACTLY!

It is the Joey/Daunte double standard at work once again.

Joey gets a free pass, week after week for things that Daunte gets torn to shreds for, I don't understand it.

You've made great points about the perception people have. People percieved us as a Super Bowl contender when C-Pep was playing and were stringing him up when he was playing below his established level of play and the team was playing poorly. Now the SAME people are seeing how flawed this football team and blaming everyone BUT the quarterback.

There are people on this board that are so obsessed with their hate towards Culpepper that they have wanted him to fail from day one...something I don't understand. I'm a Dolphins fan, something that a LOT of people here can not say.

That's fine, he can keep name calling and throwing cheap personal attacks at me in between those tasty mouthfuls of CROW! :lol:

SPIN spin spin, while eating that crow. Mmmm, good! FACT is Saban's press conference wasn't even about Culpepper - and Joey Harrington has put this Team in position to WIN the past 3 weeks. Which is totally opposite from the statements make by parrothead before the season regarding JH. Now he's been proven totally wrong and responds to me in childish fashion with cheap shots.

I'm not saying JH played "great" but all things considered and from statements by the Coach and the players they will regroup and try again next week. Nobody is happy with losing but "consensus" seems to be we're in better shape with Joey and unfortunately lost 4+ weeks when Joey wasn't allowed to practice with the 1st Team Offense, big surprise we're losing to Favre/ Driver and Pennington/ Coles guys who have been together for years. Give Harrington more than THREE tough games maybe?

Back
Top Bottom