NY Daily News: Torre Out, Pinella In | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NY Daily News: Torre Out, Pinella In

Ray Finkle said:
One thing to beaware of and I'm sure a lot of people already no this is that the Yankees need to interview some minorities for the managing job before they hire Pinella, unless they don't care about MLB fines. So expect names like Dusty Baker, Tony Pena etc to pop up as possible managers being interviewed.

is there a silly rule like that in MLB? i know there is one in the NFl but I don't recall any in MLB.

nyjunc said:
is there a silly rule like that in MLB? i know there is one in the NFl but I don't recall any in MLB.

No rule like that in MLB. Although most teams do interview minorities just for the good P.R. it brings.

Willy Randolph has the story of when he interviewed for the Cincy job a few years back. Saying he knew he was their "token" interview and the guy wasn't even paying attention to him during the interview. He was just going through the motions

Ray Finkle said:
Can't you imagine Jeter making a base running mistake or fielding mistake and Pinella starts yelling at him? I wonder what Jeter would do. I'm not sure Pinella is the right guy for the job, but maybe the Yankees just need a good kick in the butt to get them going.

If Lou is smart he doesn't go after Jeter. Derek is a god in that city. You go after him and your stay there will be a short one. Pinella or not!!!!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Exactly. Lou starts that flipping out crap in the Bronx and he will be turned off real quick. I still say we should keep Torre. This post-season loss is not his fault and should fall directly on the shoulders of the players. Their needs to be changes to the roster and probably should have been a long time ago but all yesterday did was make you realize that it's got to happen now!

Joe has to take the fall. Since that Game 3 win in boston back in 2004 where they won 19-8. NY is 3-10 in the postseason.

You can say the Sheff/Matsui thing this year tied his hands in some ways. Fine. But Joe has to take the fall eventually. He got 11 years as the Yankee manager. That is unheard of!!! It's been a nice ride but at some point ya gotta take the bullet for the coming up short.

MikeO said:
No rule like that in MLB. Although most teams do interview minorities just for the good P.R. it brings.

Willy Randolph has the story of when he interviewed for the Cincy job a few years back. Saying he knew he was their "token" interview and the guy wasn't even paying attention to him during the interview. He was just going through the motions

willie was offered the Cincy job so I don't know how much of a token he was. he declined b/c they offered him so little money.

MikeO said:
Joe has to take the fall. Since that Game 3 win in boston back in 2004 where they won 19-8. NY is 3-10 in the postseason.

You can say the Sheff/Matsui thing this year tied his hands in some ways. Fine. But Joe has to take the fall eventually. He got 11 years as the Yankee manager. That is unheard of!!! It's been a nice ride but at some point ya gotta take the bullet for the coming up short.

Your just looking for a scapegoat. Joe's been here 11 years and has had 11 years of success......THAT IS UNHEARD OF. How many managers have had as many division titles as him? As many World Series in 11 years as he has? The problem isn't Joe, it's the Yankees signing these old fogies to monster contracts and then wondering why they're breaking down at the end of the season when the Yankees need them the most!

I don't think it's Joe's fault but I do think it's time for a change but I wouldn't be upset if he came back. As long as ARod, Shef and some others are gone I don't care who the Mgr is.

By the way if anyone should take the heat it should be the Boss himself. Until this year he has had his nose in the Yankees roster business undermining Cashman at every move. Sheffield, Randy Johnson, Jaret Wright, A-Rod, Kenny Lofton, and the lost goes on and on of guys he just had to have. Now that Cashman is in control, your not going to see this crap anymore. The farm system will be rebuilt and the Yankees will sign young studs instead of guys who Steinbrenner likes 3 years after they've peaked!

I said in another thread the Yankees need to make changes. I don't think managers make that big of a difference in the game. It's still a players game. Failing in the postseason 6 years in a row makes the move obvious.

nyjunc said:

Yes, I believe there is a silly rule like that in the MLB. I'm almost 100% certain that teams have to interview minorities or they'll get fined. I remember reading about it when the Red Sox fired Little and newspapers saying that they had to interview minorities or get fined even though they had made up their mind with Francona. Also when Theo left they had to interview a few miniorities too.

But hey MikeO could be right, I guess we'll see if Torre gets fired and Pinella gets hired right away and the Yankees get fined, or if they interivew a minority or 2.

MikeO said:
If Lou is smart he doesn't go after Jeter. Derek is a god in that city. You go after him and your stay there will be a short one. Pinella or not!!!!

Oh I agree but it was just example. I could have named any of the veterans on the team just picked Jeter because he was the first guy that popped into my head.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Your just looking for a scapegoat. Joe's been here 11 years and has had 11 years of success......THAT IS UNHEARD OF. How many managers have had as many division titles as him? As many World Series in 11 years as he has? The problem isn't Joe, it's the Yankees signing these old fogies to monster contracts and then wondering why they're breaking down at the end of the season when the Yankees need them the most!

Of course I am looking for a scapegoat. Somebody has to be the fall guy!!

Ray Finkle said:
Yes, I believe there is a silly rule like that in the MLB. I'm almost 100% certain that teams have to interview minorities or they'll get fined. I remember reading about it when the Red Sox fired Little and newspapers saying that they had to interview minorities or get fined even though they had made up their mind with Francona. Also when Theo left they had to interview a few miniorities too.

But hey MikeO could be right, I guess we'll see if Torre gets fired and Pinella gets hired right away and the Yankees get fined, or if they interivew a minority or 2.

Even if there is a fine.......who cares. Just pay it. Why insult anyone and waste there time when everyone knows LOU is going to get the job.

ChambersWI said:
I actually think Lou will get the best out of A-Rod for the reasons Mike said.

Also, a team of veterans needs someone who is tough on them. Lou's style didn't work with a bunch of young guys in their early 20's, but it will definatly work in the Bronx

I don't know if it'll work with veterans. Managers and coaches are hired to be fired and the Yankees probably need to change it up just to change the atmosphere.

This is just a question, not trolling, but exactly how much influence does a manager have in baseball? I can see how a batting coach or pitching coach could influence things, but a manager during the game?

From an offensive point of view, it really looks highly individualistic (the batter), and from a defensive side it looks like one could program the changes based on stats.

There just seems to be much less thinking necessary during the game than say in football. Well, I don't know much about this, so as I said I'm just asking.

Back
Top Bottom