o-gun to be on espn news in 5 minutes | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

o-gun to be on espn news in 5 minutes

PhinPhan1227 said:
My problem with Ogun is that thise doesn't need to be handled the way he's handling it. The Phins aren't going to the media bad mouthing Wally. They also aren't making threats. Wally is doing everything there is to do to burn bridges he needs. Oh, and Drew is the scum of the earth.

The Dolphins have no need to go to the media because they currently hold the cards. When you're in the underdog role, you have to play the hand you're dealt to your best ability. Do you realy think Wale can say something to burn bridges? Well, I'm sure he could. My better question is do you think Wale has actually burned bridges? The FO knows what to expect here, and that's exactly why they're playing it so calmly. They get to dictate what Wale gets this year to a great extent, and they seem content to do that.

I'll never get why you guys call Drew the scum of the Earth, either. I'd want him on my side if I were a football player. He's a lot better than a lot of the idiots these players involve themselves with because he is a pro and he apparently doesn't embezzle their cash.

That is what I feel as well.

However I would rather just make a villian out of Ogun. Jerk, putting himself in front of his team.

If that's what you feel, why would you possibly want to make a villain out of one of the parties? That makes no sense.

If you want to play the team route, why don't we just get every player to take an average $400,000 pay cut to get him what he is looking for? That should just about cover the difference. I'm sure that they wouldn't like that suggestion one bit, but I doubt you'd say that they're not team players.

pigskinguy said:
C,mon, the guy is being a little selfish don't you think? It's 1.8 mil. Suck it up and play. :mad:

If you made $60,000 a year, and a guy you felt was no better than you was making more like $150,000 or $180,000 a year, would you want to be called selfish for wanting what is coming to you? If not, why the hell should Wale be any different?

The rest of the team played by the rules, why does OGUN think he is special? Other players had to deal with being EFA and RFA. None of them held out. They sucked it up and played for the million dollars and got their big contract the next year. The Dolphins have bent over backwards for Ogun when they didn't have to. Paid him 2 years for rehabbing and then they gave him some insentives when he was an exclusive free agent.

Ogun could of went the man route and not talk to the media and say things like I am sure this will get worked out and not mentioning holding out until training camp, or he could go the ***** route and complain to the media. He decieded to go the ***** route.

Jimmy James said:
If you made $60,000 a year, and a guy you felt was no better than you was making more like $150,000 or $180,000 a year, would you want to be called selfish for wanting what is coming to you? If not, why the hell should Wale be any different?

did that guy sign a contract?

Did what guy sign a contract?

I don't even see how that has relevance here because Wale is not under contract.

As to your other position -- Wale is playing by the rules, too. You can't deny that just because you don't like how the game is going. He has the perfect right to hold out for 11 weeks before coming in to play the final six games, just as others have the right to take the money. In the end, I think Wale will probably also take the money, though.

Your point about the rehab is a tired one. You hit the nail on the head when you said they didn't have to. They took a calculated risk that paid off well for them.

Look at when Wale talked to the media -- it was after a relatively long period that Miami had to get this resolved. The season gets closer every day, and I can't blame him for using the tools at his disposal to try to get a resolution he likes.

1)Making comments like "Sam/Mad helped me more than JT" is burning bridges. There are ways to speak in a non-confrontational manner, and way not to. Ogun is making this confrontational when it doesn't have to be.

2)Drew is a scumbag because Drew is a scumbag. Have you read his book? The guy is scum. The guy who wrote Jerry McGuire modeled Bob Suger on Drew. The guy is willing to give crappy advise to players in order to get another dollar. If you want evidence, look at the hold-outs that Drew's clients have had. Hold out's are NEVER good for a player, but Drews clients have had plenty. And while yes, there are a lot of crappy agents, there are also quite a few who have more integrity as a human being than Drew does. If I want an agent, I want a guy who is going to at least ACT like my career is more important than his commission. Drew has never done so.

Jimmy James said:
The Dolphins have no need to go to the media because they currently hold the cards. When you're in the underdog role, you have to play the hand you're dealt to your best ability. Do you realy think Wale can say something to burn bridges? Well, I'm sure he could. My better question is do you think Wale has actually burned bridges? The FO knows what to expect here, and that's exactly why they're playing it so calmly. They get to dictate what Wale gets this year to a great extent, and they seem content to do that.

I'll never get why you guys call Drew the scum of the Earth, either. I'd want him on my side if I were a football player. He's a lot better than a lot of the idiots these players involve themselves with because he is a pro and he apparently doesn't embezzle their cash.

Jimmy James said:
Did what guy sign a contract?

I don't even see how that has relevance here because Wale is not under contract.

As to your other position -- Wale is playing by the rules, too. You can't deny that just because you don't like how the game is going. He has the perfect right to hold out for 11 weeks before coming in to play the final six games, just as others have the right to take the money. In the end, I think Wale will probably also take the money, though.

Your point about the rehab is a tired one. You hit the nail on the head when you said they didn't have to. They took a calculated risk that paid off well for them.

Look at when Wale talked to the media -- it was after a relatively long period that Miami had to get this resolved. The season gets closer every day, and I can't blame him for using the tools at his disposal to try to get a resolution he likes.

Wale is under contract. Well not under contract, but under a system he decieded to be on when he decieded to take part on the NFL.

Wale is playing by the rules. He is playing by the rules like the kid who slings poo at you during a game of tag. It is his right, it just doesn't make him right for doing it.

The rehab point is a valid point. Ogun is taking a calculated risk as of right now. I am saying he could handle it differently. Handle it like a man instead of a person who got fouled so he is taking his ball home.

The main problem is Miami didn't have to deal with him before the draft and didn't owe it to Ogun to deal with him before the draft. There is nothing wrong with wanting more money, it is the way he is going about it. It is like he doesn't understand the business of football at all.

PhinPhan1227 said:
1)Making comments like "Sam/Mad helped me more than JT" is burning bridges. There are ways to speak in a non-confrontational manner, and way not to. Ogun is making this confrontational when it doesn't have to be.

Aren't you assuming that JT is going to take offense at that when it's quite possible that JT totally agrees with the statement? There is nothing there that says in so many words that Taylor is a bad player -- it could (and IMHO probably is) a statement of how the press defense has an impact on the success our ends have.

2)Drew is a scumbag because Drew is a scumbag. Have you read his book? The guy is scum. The guy who wrote Jerry McGuire modeled Bob Suger on Drew. The guy is willing to give crappy advise to players in order to get another dollar. If you want evidence, look at the hold-outs that Drew's clients have had. Hold out's are NEVER good for a player, but Drews clients have had plenty. And while yes, there are a lot of crappy agents, there are also quite a few who have more integrity as a human being than Drew does. If I want an agent, I want a guy who is going to at least ACT like my career is more important than his commission. Drew has never done so.

Cameron Crowe (that guy you're talking about) has been very dodgy about crediting any of the agent-consultants with being the basis for Jerry or Bob. I find it very interesting that you claim to have this special insight to his mind that nobody else has. Are you psychic? In fact, I do believe that Rosenhaus takes credit for being the basis for Jerry on an interview located on the DVD.

If hold outs were never good for players, then there wouldn't be hold outs. Making such a blanket statement is just wrong. I would submit that goes double for Drew's motivation. Players know who is looking out for them, and the man wouldn't continue to get business if this were the case.

every player in the league is under a collective contract...the CBA....the players union negotiated and approved the current agreement....we are offering O-gun TOP dollar under this agreement. Why is that not "fair"?

Because he injured himself in college and has to take a longer road to the big pay day, the Dolphins should be penalized by him for his circumstances?

Why is it that the FO has to come off more money and wreck their salary cap because a player reaches his potential before he's properly due for his big pay day?Because the Dolphins unearthed a hidden gem, they can't benefit from the situation financially due to their Luck/skill?

What's fair in having to pay for busts if you can't benefit from finding hidden gems?

His own union set things up the way it is and he should live by it.

That's my opinion, and I haven't seen anything said that changes how I feel about it..

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Wale is under contract. Well not under contract, but under a system he decieded to be on when he decieded to take part on the NFL.

Wale is playing by the rules. He is playing by the rules like the kid who slings poo at you during a game of tag. It is his right, it just doesn't make him right for doing it.

I agree with your first contention. As to the second, that is pure nonsense. Slinging poo is not within the tag rules at all. Holding out for 11 weeks and reporting for six to get your year of service in is a part of the CBA whether you like it or not.

The rehab point is a valid point. Ogun is taking a calculated risk as of right now. I am saying he could handle it differently. Handle it like a man instead of a person who got fouled so he is taking his ball home.

The main problem is Miami didn't have to deal with him before the draft and didn't owe it to Ogun to deal with him before the draft. There is nothing wrong with wanting more money, it is the way he is going about it. It is like he doesn't understand the business of football at all.

You again make a reference to a kid doing something outside the rules (taking his ball home) when Wale is playing within the rules. Do you want to know waht Wale could do that would be outside the rules? He could contact other teams without the permission of the Dolphins. He could declare himself not subject to the RFA process. He hasn't done any of that.

As far as understanding the business of football, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that I'm among the few people here who understand that it is a business. When you can't come to an agreement in business, that doesn't make the other guy a bad guy.

inFINSible said:
every player in the league is under a collective contract...the CBA....the players union negotiated and approved the current agreement....we are offering O-gun TOP dollar under this agreement. Why is that not "fair"?

His own union set things up the way it is and he should live by it.

That's my opinion, and I haven't seen anything said that changes how I feel about it..

He is living by it in the way set up by the CBA, whether he decides to play the year or whether he decides to hold out for 11 and play 6. I think that's the part you're missing out on here.

As to the part I excised, I don't think anybody is saying that Miami has to pay Wale anything. We're just saying they have a choice of doing it, taking a trade, or seeing Wale walk away with nothing. They do have to choose one of those options.

How is it against the rules for a kid to take his ball home? It is his ball.

I know holding out is part of the CBA. It is in his right. I just don't feel it does him any good. I have only seen once where that has worked out for a player and since that player turned out to be a bust, it hurts Ogun's status.

The second isn't pure nonsense. He is part of the CBA. Part of the CBA is that he is owed $1.8 million dollars next year. Unless he holds out.

Just because someone disagrees with your idea of business doesn't mean you understand anything more then he does.

Just because you can't come to an agreement in business, that doesn't make the other a bad guy, but it can. IMO, in this instance, it does if Ogun deciedes to hold out.

Back
Top Bottom