***Official Miami Hurricanes Thread*** | Page 192 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***Official Miami Hurricanes Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
To allude to my above post, let's look at the various guys that have come in highly touted, but just can't build off of it.

Harris...a top QB, but has regressed since the middle of last season
Spence...great freshman season, unspectacular since
Forston...ditto
Aldarius Johnson...ditto

And it goes on and on. We just don't develop talent.

Painful loss...Cedar I agree with what your saying. I'm so sick of this ****. I love the Hurricanes to death, I'm a die hard fan and this **** makes my life miserable when we loose (I really do feel like something in my life went wrong). Every ****ing year is the same god damn ****.

When do you guys think we will be back on the top? I don't see it for a looooooong time

The only excuse you can make is that turnovers lost them the game. But the offense didn't play well the whole game. I think they'll be fine next week.

Turnovers can't be an excuse anymore. They should be better coached than this. If the coaches were reversed, Tressel would've coached the Canes to a 50 point win over Shannon's Buckeyes. It's disgusting how poorly coached this team is. And that includes Whipple, all the blame doesn't go on Shannon. I will give the D credit, those boys played pretty well considering they kept getting shafted on turnovers and poor kick coverage. If they didn't play their butts off, it could've easily been 55-24.

It's hard for me to point directly at Shannon after this loss. This loss has to fall on the shoulders of Jacory Harris. You can't go on the road as a 10 point underdog and face a top five program in front of 100,000, throw four interceptions, and expect to win. It's not realistic.

We played well enough to win minus the interceptions. One of my biggest concerns in this game was keeping Jacory upright and allowing him enough time to allow plays to develop and find the open receivers. The offensive line did their job outside of all the false starts and I'm just gonna go ahead and chalk that up to the crowd noise. I was in there. It's loud. That's all I'm saying. LOUD.

Tackling...STILL an issue. Brandon Harris is beastly and DVD needs to change his name to VHS because that dude has no business on the football field at anytime. It's incredible how much speed we have on this team and how slow we look on the field sometimes. We take bad angles, don't wrap up, we don't finish plays and it goes on and on.

Cedar is right. We don't develop talent here. Coaching IS a major problem and I exposed this problem two years ago and no one wanted to listen. And it was just as obvious then as it was today. Shannon has to go. I don't care if we win 11 games this season. The ACC is pure TRASH and winning it means NOTHING to me. I don't know what else to say. You have to come better prepared than you were today for this kind of big boy game.

However, four turnovers, we didn't punt once, and we still only lose by 12...we made a lot of fundamental mistakes today that cost us a HUGE win.

In all defense of Harris, 2 for sure, maybe 3, INT's were on receivers. Benjamin cost this team 10 points, but made up 7 with a punt return. The first INT should've been caught, and the 4th was the worst decision Jacory made all day. I thought Berry was playing his heart out! The O-Line, Berry, Miller and most of the D were the only bright spots. I will take my chances with Brandon McGee all day over DVD who is just a BUST. The D dropped 2 sure INT's, which you can't do ever, let alone on the road. Whipple looks as lost as Nix sometimes with his play calling.

harris hangs out his wrs way too much throwing those floaters...guys are taking hard licks having to wait on the ball...put your back into it son

Coaching - the same old, can't tackle, penalty laden, stupid mistakes over and over again all comes down to one thing, coaching. This should have been a signature win for the Canes but instead they came away embarrassed, like so many other games under Shannon's watch. Same old, same old.

We're the most fragile team I've ever seen. That's the maddening aspect, with no signs of reversal. In particular I had to laugh when Todd Blackledge said Miami's D was bottling up Ohio State, when we led 10-3. I said to my friend, he's got to be kidding. We're guessing on run blitzes and gotten fortunate so far. Plus they haven't even tried to test us deep. Sure enough, two plays later it's 80 yards and 10-10. The Jimmy Johnson defense always looked unfair, like 13 guys. This one flashes teasing speed one play then they look like 9 midgets flailing for arm tackles on the next play.

I will give credit to Forston. I've ripped him but he made a few plays in limited space today. He'll never be an athlete but I was encouraged today. He might play more than we anticipated if Porter's injury is major.

Telemaque needs to shut up and play. How can we be jawing out there, down 20-10 while outscored 17-0? The D had some good moments but the secondary can't make a play. I loved it when DVD waved at a 3rd and 16 ball toward the sideline, like he was scared to hurt his pinky. Toughness is not only trenches, it's understanding the turnaround opportunity MUST be seized. This Canes group likes to flub a golden chance then clap hands, no problem it's okay. Ohio State, meanwhile, looked like they had velcro everywhere when an INT opportunity was at hand.

The D has more depth this year. Many encouraging moments today. But I'm not going to overreact. They'll be exposed often. As I posted, they play small, gaping holes everywhere when the tide is against them. Remember the Gator game 2008 and everyone said we have a dominant D again. That myth was exploded one game later at Texas A&M. I think Ohio State would have put up significantly more yards and points today if we had kept pace on the scoreboard. Once they got the cushion Tressel played it more conservatively and relied on Pryor's legs, which naturally we had no answer for.

Jacory's INTs surprised me. Normally turnover trends don't carry over from season to season, in fact the opposite. Those plays today weren't typical of the '09 picks, lobs with Jacory putting too much air on the ball from 30-40 yards.

Whipple was a disappointment. The entire offseason and he runs a scared formation on the first play? USC coaches years ago told me they used to laugh when the opponent showed up with immediate trickery.

I don't think Ohio State could cover Hankerson or Benjamin on mid range darts into the seam if we tipped the routes. I expected quick decisive mid range throws over the middle off play action. The Buckeyes are historically vulnerable on those routes. See USC's final drive in '09. Instead, we defaulted to the shot gun and timid tosses toward the sideline. Jacory invariably makes the vast majority of his mistakes out of the shot gun. Blackledge had it correct, he looks tentative and misses reads. I cringe when we call roll outs, declining 2/3 of the field, or throw toward the sideline, where most of the big mistakes occur. From center Jacory looks great when he play fakes, bounces his feet once, then tosses in the 10-15 yard range. We featured that type of play action throw only on one series, late first half. Jacory hit Benjamin twice, them missed a wide open Hankerson in the end zone. Bosher was wide on the 46 yarder on that series. Then we went back to the shot gun garbage.

I won't be too discouraged. We've got a ton of players, even if few of them are midwestern tough, like I'd prefer. It was funny last night to think that everyone is up on the Canes and down on the Dolphins. Meanwhile, it's Canes at Ohio State and Dolphins at Bills. Not exactly equal expectation, if you step back and look at it logically.

Henderson needs to play by midseason. Figueoroa is not a tackle. After the spring game a recent Canes lineman said on WQAM, "Everyone in the program thinks Tyler Horn at starting center will be a disaster. I honestly don't think it will be that bad." What an endorsement. After hearing that comment I kept it in mind, certain Horn would be blown up on key plays versus Ohio State. He was on a couple of passing plays, bull rushed. But our straight ahead running game exceeded my expectation. If everyone were as tough as Berry we'd be Alabama.

BTW, not good strategy to schedule a patsy at home then travel to face a brute on the road. Too much of a shell shock transition. You think the previous game was a physical test. It was a tickle. I know guys in Las Vegas who bet huge on the home team in that scenario. Today it was Penn State, Miami, USF and FSU sent on the road in that spot. The Canes tried similar in 2000, hosting a stiff then losing at Washington. Same in 2007, hosting lousy Marshall then at Oklahoma. I know it sounds like a good idea, to get a game under your belt. Financially it may be necessary. From a performance standpoint you'd be better off making the road trip cold.

Awsi and JC nailed it...

Listen, Miami was the most talented team in the stadium, but talent doesn't win games like this. Miami still hasn't learned how to not beat themselves...

Ohio St. doesn't beat themselves... Like I said, this was a game where Miami had to execute the basics better than their opponent... they didn't do that...

Hey Randy Shannon and Mark Whipple....here's some advice.. they can't pick you off if you run the football...

You want to kickoff with squibs or short, high kicks with a lot of hangtime to avoid kicking to an explosive return man? Gotcha... but make damn sure you kick it to one of the up men and not to the returner you're trying to avoid... Doesn't make sense anyway when you have a guy like Bosher who can boot it 5 yards deep in the endzone...

The bright side is, Miami should breeze through the ACC and just leave a pile of dead bodies in their wake... and not just because of Saturday... even if they all would've won, Miami is still the best team in the conference IMO... the hardest to defend and the most athletic...

All you have to do is get past the other best team in the conference... Virginia....:lol:

It's hard for me to point directly at Shannon after this loss. This loss has to fall on the shoulders of Jacory Harris. You can't go on the road as a 10 point underdog and face a top five program in front of 100,000, throw four interceptions, and expect to win. It's not realistic.

We played well enough to win minus the interceptions. One of my biggest concerns in this game was keeping Jacory upright and allowing him enough time to allow plays to develop and find the open receivers. The offensive line did their job outside of all the false starts and I'm just gonna go ahead and chalk that up to the crowd noise. I was in there. It's loud. That's all I'm saying. LOUD.

Tackling...STILL an issue. Brandon Harris is beastly and DVD needs to change his name to VHS because that dude has no business on the football field at anytime. It's incredible how much speed we have on this team and how slow we look on the field sometimes. We take bad angles, don't wrap up, we don't finish plays and it goes on and on.

Cedar is right. We don't develop talent here. Coaching IS a major problem and I exposed this problem two years ago and no one wanted to listen. And it was just as obvious then as it was today. Shannon has to go. I don't care if we win 11 games this season. The ACC is pure TRASH and winning it means NOTHING to me. I don't know what else to say. You have to come better prepared than you were today for this kind of big boy game.

However, four turnovers, we didn't punt once, and we still only lose by 12...we made a lot of fundamental mistakes today that cost us a HUGE win.

This. We beat ourselves out there. Just ridiculous mistake after ridiculous mistake. A lot of that falls on Shannon. Like I said earlier. What good is being a good recruiter when you can't develop that talent. What is good is being a good recruiter when you're just an awful gameday coach. Shannon needs to go, but if we win the ACC like I'm expecting, they'll keep his *** around unfortunately. I know this sounds bad, but Shannon needs to stop worrying about high GPA's, and high graduation rates and learn to coach football games. Hell, that's probably the only reason Shannon is still here. I'd love to be "Thug U" again if it means National Championships... Just my 2 cents.

Awsi and JC nailed it...

Listen, Miami was the most talented team in the stadium, but talent doesn't win games like this. Miami still hasn't learned how to not beat themselves...

Ohio St. doesn't beat themselves... Like I said, this was a game where Miami had to execute the basics better than their opponent... they didn't do that...

Hey Randy Shannon and Mark Whipple....here's some advice.. they can't pick you off if you run the football...

You want to kickoff with squibs or short, high kicks with a lot of hangtime to avoid kicking to an explosive return man? Gotcha... but make damn sure you kick it to one of the up men and not to the returner you're trying to avoid... Doesn't make sense anyway when you have a guy like Bosher who can boot it 5 yards deep in the endzone...

The bright side is, Miami should breeze through the ACC and just leave a pile of dead bodies in their wake... and not just because of Saturday... even if they all would've won, Miami is still the best team in the conference IMO... the hardest to defend and the most athletic...

All you have to do is get past the other best team in the conference... Virginia....:lol:

get the **** out of here...we have marc verica at qb...the worst in d1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom