Ogunleye to be on NFL Total Access. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogunleye to be on NFL Total Access.

Dolfan954 said:
Yeah, he's being a baby. :rolleyes:

The next time your production at work makes the company you work for a lot better and it comes time for your review, and they say, "Your hardwork and dedication to the company has been terrific. You're a true model employee...you increased our sales by $200,000, you've been promoted this year (*went from backup to starter*), and you were also salesman of the year (*went to the pro bowl*)....but..umm...we're not giving you a raise. Oh, stop being a baby! We notice that you've busted your tail, and we've benefitted from it, but I think we'll just go ahead and keep you at the same 35k salary from when you started with us."

Some people complain and say, "The tender is x million. He should just suck it up." This is a business. Anyone who fails to realize that is missing the point. Added to that, football players don't don't get a steady paycheck from the NFL until they're 60+ like corporate America. This is his time to cash in. He's in his prime, and if he's lucky, he might only have one other big money contract that would be heavily backloaded anyway. He deserves to get paid. I just don't know if we can afford to keep him AND extend Chambers.....AND give Surtain his rightful raise.

Yea, but he's had 1 good year and has 1 year left on a contract he agreed in terms to and should honor. Sorry, but just because you have 1 good year doesn't mean you can demand the corner office. The 1.8 mill IS a raise. So yea, he's being a baby.

bigmiamifan said:
Yea, but he's had 1 good year and has 1 year left on a contract he agreed in terms to and should honor. Sorry, but just because you have 1 good year doesn't mean you can demand the corner office. The 1.8 mill IS a raise. So yea, he's being a baby.

How is this wrong? Let me count the ways:

1) Wale had 9.5 sacks in 2002. That makes two good years.

2) Wale is not under contract.

Wale is totally and completely within his rights to make whatever demands he likes and to sit for 11 weeks if they are not met. He just has to show up for the last 6 games, and he gets his year. What says that? The CBA! Do you know what the CBA is? It's what sets forth the rules for free agency and for other ownership-union interaction. The team should and will honor Wale showing up for just those six games. I'm sorry if that reality doesn't suit you and so many others here, but that's how it breaks down. Got it?

bigmiamifan said:
He's had two good years, not one:
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/188505

After 2 years and 25 1/2 sacks, he's established himself as a premier DE, and deserves to be paid market value. You referred to demanding a corner office, but look at the scale we're talking about:

The tender is 1.8, and how much do you think Kearse and Wistrom are getting this year? I would guess at least twice that, as contracts are mostly backloaded nowadays. Ogunleye is as good or better than both DEs, but he should settle for half the salary? I know you wouldn't take that. If your boss came to you and said, "We want you to take on the responsibilities of Vice President of Sales, which normally pays 90k, but we'll give you 45k instead...how does that sound?"

You know exactly what you would do. As soon as you got home...hell, as soon as you got back to your computer at work, you'd go here.....Or maybe here.

And btw, he's a RFA.

Jimmy James said:
How is this wrong? Let me count the ways:

1) Wale had 9.5 sacks in 2002. That makes two good years.

2) Wale is not under contract.

Wale is totally and completely within his rights to make whatever demands he likes and to sit for 11 weeks if they are not met. He just has to show up for the last 6 games, and he gets his year. What says that? The CBA! Do you know what the CBA is? It's what sets forth the rules for free agency and for other ownership-union interaction. The team should and will honor Wale showing up for just those six games. I'm sorry if that reality doesn't suit you and so many others here, but that's how it breaks down. Got it?
Wow. Now THERE'S a smackdown. But umm...I REALLY don't know what the CBA is. I understand what they do from your post, but what does it stand for? Seriously. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
There are only so many times I can say the same thing in one day before I get testy. :(

One of two things are happening here:

1) There are people here who read an argument in one thread and just have to practically copy and paste it into another.

2) There are people who think remarkably alike who don't bother to read any of the existing threads before they decide to toss in their $.02

Last edited by a moderator:
Dolfan954 said:
Wow. Now THERE'S a smackdown. But umm...I REALLY don't know what the CBA is. I understand what they do from your post, but what does it stand for? Seriously. :confused:

CBA=Collective Bargaining Agreement

Dolfan954 said:

CBA is Collective Bargaining Agreement

It literally is the agreement that got signed back who knows when by the owners/league and the union that sets forth the way things work. These sorts of agreements govern things any time there is an employer and a union so far as I understand things. This isn't anything I have covered in school, so I'm not well versed on the finer points myself.

Black's Law Dictionary says essentially what I have, except they just say it governs employment conditions.

Dolfan954 said:

The next time your production at work makes the company you work for a lot better and it comes time for your review, and they say, "Your hardwork and dedication to the company has been terrific. You're a true model employee...you increased our sales by $200,000, you've been promoted this year (*went from backup to starter*), and you were also salesman of the year (*went to the pro bowl*)....but..umm...we're not giving you a raise. Oh, stop being a baby! We notice that you've busted your tail, and we've benefitted from it, but I think we'll just go ahead and keep you at the same 35k salary from when you started with us."

Some people complain and say, "The tender is x million. He should just suck it up." This is a business. Anyone who fails to realize that is missing the point. Added to that, football players don't don't get a steady paycheck from the NFL until they're 60+ like corporate America. This is his time to cash in. He's in his prime, and if he's lucky, he might only have one other big money contract that would be heavily backloaded anyway. He deserves to get paid. I just don't know if we can afford to keep him AND extend Chambers.....AND give Surtain his rightful raise.

Well for

1) Wally is getting a raise

2) Nobody said he doesn't deserve to be paid more but a team has a salary structure to stick to.

3) I bet you can go around the NFL and find a list of players that are being paid less then they deserve, Ricky Williams is one.

Yes Wally deserves more money, but if every team just gave players what they are worth they wouldn't be able to keep half or them on the team, Bruce Smith used to pull that crap every year, he would sign a contract, ***** when somebody made more, they would redo the contract and the next year the same crap.

Point is Wally deserves the $ but if the Fins aren't willing to give it to him he needs to still own up to the responsibility to the league and his teamates and play out the year and leave when the season is over.

Truthfully I think the Fins will pay him when they are ready, they are not going to tie money up in him before June 1st and screw themselves out of a chance to add a good FA, Wally should understand this and be patient instead of worrying about his payday. September is 4 months away.

PhinPhreak said:
Truthfully I think the Fins will pay him when they are ready, they are not going to tie money up in him before June 1st and screw themselves out of a chance to add a good FA, Wally should understand this and be patient instead of worrying about his payday. September is 4 months away.

You just wrote a reasonable response, and I thank you for that. I do have a few questions for you since you brought up what I quoted, though.

How exactly does this argument you're making work? We have (as best I understand it) $6 million in free cap space. For the moment, I'd like to ignore the rookies because I'm frankly not sure whether they get that money or they get a separate pool -- that rookie cap stuff hasn't ever really been explained to my satisfaction. Let's assume that we can restructure Pat and Sammy to free up $3 million more. Let's say it takes $4.5 million to take care of Wale and $3 million to take care of CC. That leaves us with $1.5 million to spend on June 2 or beyond on the late cuts. Isn't that the same $1.5 million whether we handle our loyal veterans first or last?

What I see with this 6/1 argument is a cop out. This team cannot spend $2 million on a free agent and get CC and Wale done whether no matter what order they do it in. Therefore, we're not missing out on anything.

Am I missing something here?

bigmiamifan said:

Yea but hes only been signed to one year deals since he was with Miami and if I was him i would be pretty pissed that my long contract offer hasn't been offered. He has been producing very good numbers and he can only get better.

PhinPhreak said:
Well for

1) Wally is getting a raise

2) Nobody said he doesn't deserve to be paid more but a team has a salary structure to stick to.

3) I bet you can go around the NFL and find a list of players that are being paid less then they deserve, Ricky Williams is one.

Yes Wally deserves more money, but if every team just gave players what they are worth they wouldn't be able to keep half or them on the team, Bruce Smith used to pull that crap every year, he would sign a contract, ***** when somebody made more, they would redo the contract and the next year the same crap.

Point is Wally deserves the $ but if the Fins aren't willing to give it to him he needs to still own up to the responsibility to the league and his teamates and play out the year and leave when the season is over.

1) I know he'll get a raise. I explained that in my other post where I drew a scenario with your employer promoting you to VP, but still getting half the pay.

2) I agree.

3) Just because some players are getting underpaid, that doesn't mean Adewale has to accept it too. It goes back to the corporate America comparison again. If you know that the average salary for your position in your industry is 50k, you'd be more than pissed if they just offered you 25k. It's a job.

He doesn't owe anyone anything. This is about getting paid. You wouldn't feel a need to stay around at your job if you could get twice as much somewhere else.

Dolfan954 said:

Um, actually he is getting raise. I believe, and I could be wrong, but I think he was making somewhere around 500,000 last season. If will be making 1.8 million this season if he plays. Hmmmm, that's a pretty good raise.
If the company I worked for came to me tommorrow and said, "Good work last year, we are going to triple you salary next year and then take a look later on a give you a nice long term contract." I would pretty frikkin happy. I would say thank you, not, No I want more. ANd if you don't give me more I am going to stop coming to work until I give you more.
Not to mention that not one other team ponied up to pay what he wants, Could be because of the compensation or it could be that nobody wanted to pay what Wale and Drew think he is worth.

What if you were making $25,000 a year, but Bob-the-guy-who-has-done-the-job-longer-but-who-only-does-it-maybe-a-little-better-than-you was making $250,000? Would you really be that happy with a raise to $75,000 a year when you probably really deserve $200,000-$225,000?

What if your competitors Spacely Sprokets and Cogswell Cogs hire people with just a little more experience than you have who get $200k and $275k a year to start? Are you still going to be happy with that $75,000?

Jimmy James said:
This is just frankly wrong. There is nothing that makes Wale ineligible to make more than the tender. If the team had $25 million to blow and wanted to give it to him, they could.

The tender is what the team had to offer to retain his rights as a RFA. That's all it is.

Talk about your bad analogies. What's to stop ANY team from making a player more then they are. Such rediculous reasoning.

He doesn't have any more rights then a player under contract once that restricted signing period ended. He's dolphin property whether he signs the contract or not because his own union states it so in their overall collective bargaining agreement. So lets not go pretending he's a FA Jimmy.

It's a big huff and puff because Rick knows he doesn't have to pay him. If anything Ogun could be screwing himself outta an extension later this year and have to wait a year for his money and even then the phins can control his destination. Could tag and send him to Arizona where careers go to die.

Back
Top Bottom