Ogunleye to be on NFL Total Access. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogunleye to be on NFL Total Access.

pigskinguy said:
Hey that's the deal his union signed.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZT

Thanks for playing. If you take your butt off the stage, Jimmy has a year's supply of Turtle Wax for you.

The deal his union signed is a bit more complex than that. The CBA does indicate that the tender is all that is required to retain his rights, but it also indicates that he only has to play 6 games. If you embrace part of it, you have to embrace all of it.

[quote
I really don't know why everyone thinks that Wale is so hard done by. What is happening to him happens to other players too. Just not everyone whines about it.[/quote]

Really? Show me another 27 year old league leader in any meaningful category who is only getting a $1.8 million tender next year. :rolleyes:

The thing is that the Dolphins, not Wale, hold the cards in this situation, and it is better for them to wait untill closer to camp, after the free agent period and after the draft and after the June 1 cuts to start working on a deal for Wale.

The Dolphins don't hold all the cards -- Wale holds some very important cards in his own right. The team similarly needs to be mindful of how they jerk Wale around if they want to sign him.

As to June 1, explain to me why it has to be then. I have now asked this 3 times with no response. If the team is interested in a free agent, Wale, CC, and the FA are either all going to fit under the cap, or they're not. It doesn't matter in what order they're signed.

Now everyone's dirty laundry is out in the open and I wonder and fear if the two sides have crossed the point of no return

They certainly may have. As a fan, I hope not. I just have to accept that things turn ugly sometimes, though. That doesn't make it anybody's fault.

Dolfan954 said:
3) Just because some players are getting underpaid, that doesn't mean Adewale has to accept it too. It goes back to the corporate America comparison again. If you know that the average salary for your position in your industry is 50k, you'd be more than pissed if they just offered you 25k. It's a job.

I don't blame him for being upset, he does deserve more money, he will get that next year if he doesn't get it this year.

Dolfan954 said:
He doesn't owe anyone anything. This is about getting paid. You wouldn't feel a need to stay around at your job if you could get twice as much somewhere else.

Then I would try and find another job but until I did I would still go to work everyday.

Bottom line:

Speilman is the hot chick who can bang any guy she wants, and Wale is the young dime a dozen trying to get at her. :lol:
[/QUOTE]
:roflmao:

Gatorman said:
Yes you are. The fact is that the numbers can be massaged to do whatever we want with them. If we have 6 mil in cap space and can get 3 more from Surtain and Sammy that gives us 9 mil to play with. Anyone cut after June 1st shouldn't cost us more than 1 mil this year so we have 8 to play with. The signing Bonus is what matters here. If we give Wally a 5 year contract with a 7.5 mil signing bonus and a minimum salary this year he'd count 2 mil against the cap. You can do a similar deal with chambers. Yes we will have to restructure these deals in a few years, but by then Tim Bo, Seau, and a few others will be off the books.

There is only one problem with this logic: the FO's function is to get these deals done for the minimum amount of money. There isn't anything such as less than that minimum. If Wale's drop dead number is the deal that gives him 5 years with a $7.5 million bonus and we can't do that because we make a run at yet another OT, that means we don't get Wale. Wouldn't you be a bit pissed off if the team wanted to see if anything better came along from the NFL equivalent of the bottom or the barrel before they decided hard and fast whether to sign you? I guess another way around this is: why should it be Wale and not the FA who has to deal with some less than envisioned salary structure for the convenience of the front office? I understand that they hold his rights, but he still holds enough cards to not play for almost 2/3 of the season if they don't treat him in the way he feels he should be treated...

PhinPhreak said:
I don't blame him for being upset, he does deserve more money, he will get that next year if he doesn't get it this year.

Then I would try and find another job but until I did I would still go to work everyday.
1) He was promised that before the '03 season.
2) Of course you would still go to work everyday because you'd be out of a job if you didn't. Wale on the otherhand has the option to do so.

pigskinguy said:
:roflmao:

That's the truth right there. Wale can do all the huffing and puffing he wants, but Speilman holds the cards. He can't go to another team unless Speilman decides to trade him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy James said:
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZT

Really? Show me another 27 year old league leader in any meaningful category who is only getting a $1.8 million tender next year. :rolleyes:

Like I said let's just take a look at what Ricky is making compared to RB's with way less talent.

What about JT signing his tender and playing like he should.

Again I am not saying Wally doesn't deserve the cash I am saying he needs to accept that this is a business and there isn't enough cash to pay everybody what they deserve, that is why most good teams have a hard time keeping there superstars.

If the Fins pay him great, if not play out the year and leave for a better deal. It's funny with all the RFA over the years how many have sat out the first 10 weeks, the only one I can think of is Dillion and we all know what peoples opinions of him are.

As far as the June 1st cuts, who know what may happen between now and then, what if the Fins were offered Pace, what if an unexpected RG was cut and the Fins got into a bidding war. It would help them to have the salary cap room to front load the contract.

The fins have no responsibility to pay anymore then the tender to Ogun this year, if they decide too it is up to them when they will do it. What is the hurry, as someone else posted what if he pulled a David Bowens and blew out his knee, where does that signing bonus go then? When the season starts we will know if the Fins intend on keeping him.

Dolfan954 said:
1) He was promised that before the '03 season.
2) Of course you would still go to work everyday because you'd be out of a job if you didn't. Wale on the otherhand has the option to do so.

Yes he does have that option but he shouldn't expect that the Fins and his teamates are going to welcome him back with open arms, they may if they need his help as actions speak louder then the mighty $, but what do you think his teamates will be thinking if they are missing out on the playoffs because he held out. It is pretty much an unwritten rule that even though players have the right they usually don't exercise that right.

Jimmy James said:
There is only one problem with this logic: the FO's function is to get these deals done for the minimum amount of money. There isn't anything such as less than that minimum. If Wale's drop dead number is the deal that gives him 5 years with a $7.5 million bonus and we can't do that because we make a run at yet another OT, that means we don't get Wale. Wouldn't you be a bit pissed off if the team wanted to see if anything better came along from the NFL equivalent of the bottom or the barrel before they decided hard and fast whether to sign you? I guess another way around this is: why should it be Wale and not the FA who has to deal with some less than envisioned salary structure for the convenience of the front office? I understand that they hold his rights, but he still holds enough cards to not play for almost 2/3 of the season if they don't treat him in the way he feels he should be treated...

Wale is already property of the Fins, the FA isn't so of course the FA would have to come first. Nobody is saying they are waiting to see who they can get before they sing him, they are saying that they are waiting to see what they need and get so they know the best way to structure his contract so it doesn't hurt the team in the long run. Once he signs his contract I am pretty sure that it can't be redone for at least a year. So why tie up the money now, why not wait until you kow where you stand, it's not like Ogun is going anywhere.

Dolfan954 said:
That's the truth right there. Wale can do all the huffing and puffing he wants, but Speilman holds the cards. He can't go to another team unless Speilman decides to trade him.
And now I don't know what would be best, keep him or trade him. I guess time will tell.

PhinPhreak said:
Yes he does have that option but he shouldn't expect that the Fins and his teamates are going to welcome him back with open arms, they may if they need his help as actions speak louder then the mighty $, but what do you think his teamates will be thinking if they are missing out on the playoffs because he held out. It is pretty much an unwritten rule that even though players have the right they usually don't exercise that right.
Whether or not they should exercise that right is an opinion. In the end, it's all business. We're talking about a man's paycheck here. He has to look out for himself first before anyone else.

This doesn't really translate to corporate America, but through the hypotheticals, I believe you'll see my point:

If you're involved in a lengthy contract negotiation with your employer, and it takes months to accomplish, for your employer or fellow employees to hold something against you as a result of you holding out for the money you deserve is ridiculous. It's all about you and your money.

It's none of their damn business how much money you make, and how long your negotiations take. And to further explain my reasoning, if business suffers as result of you, ONE employee being away from work while a temp or some other scrub wasn't able to handle your duties, well, that shows you how valuable you are to the company, and therefore you DO deserve to be paid what you ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom