Omar Jacobs, Devin Hester, etc to Declare | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Omar Jacobs, Devin Hester, etc to Declare

Boomer said:
According to sources, Bowling Green QB Omar Jacobs is to declare. Huge mistake IMO. AWFUL mechanically, he had a mediocre season and could have done with staying at BG.

In what looks like a bad day for Miami U, Devin Hester, Baraka Atkins and WR Ryan Moore are all set to jump. Moore has been in and out, but apparently its a done deal. Hester is concerned that he won't win a starters CB job and isn't sure what sort of role he'll play on offense. Moore looked a future high 1st rounder as a freshman, but has struggled; Hester could be the most overrated player in the entire selection meeting. Sick return skills, very average coverman. I think he's in for a real shock come draft day.

Anyway, thought I'd pass it along.
Boom.[/QUOTE

i dunno where youre gettin this from but NOBODY said that hester and moore are leavin.

Originally Posted by ckparrothead
It's kind of hard to make your way in the NFL as just a return man for very long. Even Dante Hall isn't the same as he use to be when he got famous.

The best thing Devin Hester could do is focus and learn how to become a quality corner. Nick Saban's a good teacher, so is Mel Phillips. With Hester's natural physical ability, he could basically redshirt for two years as a corner while he learns the position from guys who know how to teach it, and in the meantime Hester would be a really good return man, like Dante Hall or Michael Lewis.

My sentiments exactly, and thats why I think a solid team, will take a flyer on him ala Matt Ware. Probably late second and no later than the 3rd if he does declare.

Questions to Boomer.
I am not a huge Texas DB fan. From Westbrook to Jammer, those guys don't produce comparably to where they are selected. Can you give me any reason to think differently about Huff and Griffin?

I personally think Miami can make the transition from 4-3 to 3-4 this year if they can some how swing a deal to pick up an extra second and third. This is a strong linebacker group and Miami's lineman are getting old. I like linebackers Carpenter OSU at an ILB position, Wilkerson GT, and Nicholson FSU. Do they fit the 3-4? Do you see us changing to the 3-4? Can we get them all? And if not who should we get?

ether79 said:
I like both, but at that point if Cutler has show enough to go at say 15. Don't you think we take Cutler?

Maybe, maybe not. The Dolphins have to like him, but as I've been saying lets not put the cart before the horse here. For a guy with such a big arm, his deep accuracy has been questionable...and thats what dropped Aaron Rodgers all the way to #24. The Dolphins need a big arm but they want deep accuracy too, because thats the whole point of having a big arm. They free their receivers to get vertical, and you've got to be able to hit them like Gus did when he hit Booker on that 56 yard pass against the Chargers.

Cutler's got a few questions to answer at the Senior Bowl. I think if he goes and lights things up, completes deep passes, looks good dropping back in a pro style offense etc...yeah he could make it up to where we pick. But maybe we've got a top 10 grade on Greenway and if he's available to us at like #18, and Cutler is also available, do you ignore your top 10 grade on Greenway? Especially if we can't get Peterson?

ckparrothead said:
Maybe, maybe not. The Dolphins have to like him, but as I've been saying lets not put the cart before the horse here. For a guy with such a big arm, his deep accuracy has been questionable...and thats what dropped Aaron Rodgers all the way to #24. The Dolphins need a big arm but they want deep accuracy too, because thats the whole point of having a big arm. They free their receivers to get vertical, and you've got to be able to hit them like Gus did when he hit Booker on that 56 yard pass against the Chargers.

Cutler's got a few questions to answer at the Senior Bowl. I think if he goes and lights things up, completes deep passes, looks good dropping back in a pro style offense etc...yeah he could make it up to where we pick. But maybe we've got a top 10 grade on Greenway and if he's available to us at like #18, and Cutler is also available, do you ignore your top 10 grade on Greenway? Especially if we can't get Peterson?

As to Cutler I also think he has to go out and have a great week at the Senior Bowl to be able to push up to where we will be at in the 1st. I think the guy might just do that, but we will have to wait and see.

If Greenway falls to us though I do think it will be hard to pass up on the guy. As far as grades are concerned I believe he probably will grade out as a 10 player on our board, the guy is perfect for Saban's system.

I think if the things we are discussing happen and Cutler and Greenway are sitting there, without us getting Peterson, that Greenway just might be the pick. I would say that Saban will always stay true to his board and go with BPA and not reach to fill a need.

I would not draft Hester unless it was the 4th or 5th round. The guy didn't do anything at Miami this year, He's got electric speed but he hasn't impressed me one bit

ether79 said:
As to Cutler I also think he has to go out and have a great week at the Senior Bowl to be able to push up to where we will be at in the 1st. I think the guy might just do that, but we will have to wait and see.

If Greenway falls to us though I do think it will be hard to pass up on the guy. As far as grades are concerned I believe he probably will grade out as a 10 player on our board, the guy is perfect for Saban's system.

I think if the things we are discussing happen and Cutler and Greenway are sitting there, without us getting Peterson, that Greenway just might be the pick. I would say that Saban will always stay true to his board and go with BPA and not reach to fill a need.

Yup. But I have a bad feeling that all bets might be off if Vince Young is there when we pick. I'm not a huge Young fan, but I think they might be.

ckparrothead said:
Yup. But I have a bad feeling that all bets might be off if Vince Young is there when we pick. I'm not a huge Young fan, but I think they might be.
Seems like he is leaning toward declaring. If he does I pray he is taken before we pick. Of course they know better than me, so I could end up eating some major crow.

Boomer said:
As usual mate, you make excellent points, I'd just like to see him go back and really work on the stuff that needs working on without the pressure that being a high round QB brings. He has the talent for sure, but it's frustrating to see him not take that step up.

re his development, would he get better coaching at bowling green next year, or would he get better coaching in the nfl?

Danny said:
Hey Simmon,you haven't tell me what you think of the groups yet.Who do you think are gonna be the final 4? Do you think my team has a chance.I think with Guardino,luca tony up front and then Toti Feeding them the ball and with always having a good defence that we have a chance...what do you think? thanks in advance.

Ozzy rules!!

Go Italy 2006 world cup

Sorry Danny. Our group is great. You should be OK.

Which club do you support?

MissMeth said:
I dont think that is accurate. I think he will strive as a return man. He will be like Daunte Hall... doesnt get thrown to much but is a great return man that gets tds.

He's a mediocre cornerback though.

SQuinn17 said:
Boomer said:
According to sources, Bowling Green QB Omar Jacobs is to declare. Huge mistake IMO. AWFUL mechanically, he had a mediocre season and could have done with staying at BG.

In what looks like a bad day for Miami U, Devin Hester, Baraka Atkins and WR Ryan Moore are all set to jump. Moore has been in and out, but apparently its a done deal. Hester is concerned that he won't win a starters CB job and isn't sure what sort of role he'll play on offense. Moore looked a future high 1st rounder as a freshman, but has struggled; Hester could be the most overrated player in the entire selection meeting. Sick return skills, very average coverman. I think he's in for a real shock come draft day.

Anyway, thought I'd pass it along.
Boom.[/QUOTE

i dunno where youre gettin this from but NOBODY said that hester and moore are leavin.

FLMAO

OK Scoop. Ask Miss Meth about what I know about UM players coming out.

Then sit down, hush your mouth and show some respect.

cowtowndick said:
re his development, would he get better coaching at bowling green next year, or would he get better coaching in the nfl?

Personally I think he'd get better quicker with NFL coaching. That coaching staff in BG does not look impressive to me. Quicker he gets out of there the better.

cowtowndick said:

Well, 2 things. One, he'll probably get better coaching in the pros, but he's not going to get a lot of snaps, so the work he does on his mechanics etc will be after practice. Does he have that in him?

If he stays at BG, then he's going to be playing and hopefully looking at and working on his faults when the live bullets are flowing.

Being a UM guy,I have never thought of Hester as a CB. Primarily because he's terrible at coverage and tackling. I'd rather seem him as a slot WR or in a position like the Rams used Marshall Faulk catching passes out of the backfield or something like that.

Ideally I'd see him in Pitt with Hines Ward and Randel El. He has no pressure to be a #1 WR but could fit in nicely with those two guys and the power running game. It'd add an entirely new dimension to their offense. Plus you'd have him and Randel El to return if needed.

Back
Top Bottom