Omar Jacobs, Devin Hester, etc to Declare | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Omar Jacobs, Devin Hester, etc to Declare

Jacobs is one of those guys that could continue to fall as a prospect rather than being a late riser. That makes him a valuation call to me, and if we don't take a QB in round 1 (mainly Young or Cutler), then as the rounds start gettin down to Round 3 and 4 if Young is on the board, I find it hard to refuse the value.

Boomer said:
Our biggest needs are WR, OT, OG, C, DE, DT, LB, CB and S.

Tell me you have this in reverse order :) You really got a hate on for the OL if that's your order of need. If it's just straight up need then yah although I'm not so big on the OG's needing an upgrade right now as much as the center and LT who won't be here due to FA/Cuts (Man I am daydreaming for Bentley at C here).

In order of absolute need I would put it: QB/LT (1 and 2 respectively but tied if McIntosh is cut), CB, C, #2 WR (I was a fan of Booker's but he just isn't cutting it enough).

Secondary needs: DT (Good start with Wright/Vickerson but the team needs that fat run clogging, OL stopping younger Traylor), Safety (With how many needs this team has a first day safety doesn't seem right unless there is just a good prospect that falls large plus there are always safety's in FA), RT (2nd day pick or Veteran swing tackle to push Carey) and finally DE. We need a young pass rusher as Taylor isn't getting any younger but it's last on my list as that can hold off another year and give Roth time to develop and the team can get another year out of Carter.

Tell me you have this in reverse order

They're in the traditional positional order, you know QB-RB-FB-WR-TE-OT-G-C-DE-DT-LB-CB-S-K-P, not his order of preference.

ckparrothead said:
Jacobs is one of those guys that could continue to fall as a prospect rather than being a late riser. That makes him a valuation call to me, and if we don't take a QB in round 1 (mainly Young or Cutler), then as the rounds start gettin down to Round 3 and 4 if Young is on the board, I find it hard to refuse the value.
i'm sure you meant jacobs in rnd 3 or 4

anyway, i thought a while ago it'd be either jacobs or cutler to make a late surge and end up in the first round. it looks like it'll be cutler. young's declaration for the draft only hurts jacobs more. maybe he'll be in the 2nd round when it's all said and done (after a good combine)

i still have no clue why ryan moore is going into the draft. jacobs makes sense, but moore? no sense. he'd be the #1 receiver on a national championship contending team with a good quarterback. it's not like he can't get any better--he's AVERAGE right now. this just makes me question coker more and more

I mean Jacobs. Sorry for the confusion. As Jacobs falls to rounds 3 or 4, I find it very difficult to justify not taking him based on pure potential.

You've got a lot of work to do on his mechanics. You can speculate on how quickly he'll take to the new mechanics, but you don't really know. And the underlying accuracy with him is pretty amazing if you ask me, both accuracy and armstrength. He could end up a more accurate Randall Cunningham, honestly. The problem is with the mechanics for the first couple of years (we speculate, we dont really know) teachning him mechanics is going to be giving him one MORE thing to think about every time he drops back, instead of just thinking about where his receivers are going to be and when, reading the defensive keys, and staying aware of the pocket. You need to get it to where the mechanics aren't something to think about anymore, just second nature.

well 3rd or 4th round QBs are supposed to be projects anyway, which is exactly why he belongs there and not in the first round where all the preseason-hype had him projected; he's got work to do

ckparrothead said:
I mean Jacobs. Sorry for the confusion. As Jacobs falls to rounds 3 or 4, I find it very difficult to justify not taking him based on pure potential.

You've got a lot of work to do on his mechanics. You can speculate on how quickly he'll take to the new mechanics, but you don't really know. And the underlying accuracy with him is pretty amazing if you ask me, both accuracy and armstrength. He could end up a more accurate Randall Cunningham, honestly. The problem is with the mechanics for the first couple of years (we speculate, we dont really know) teachning him mechanics is going to be giving him one MORE thing to think about every time he drops back, instead of just thinking about where his receivers are going to be and when, reading the defensive keys, and staying aware of the pocket. You need to get it to where the mechanics aren't something to think about anymore, just second nature.

Totally agree with you CK!
In a thread i did earlier I had the Phins picking him up in the second, or 3rd. I have seen him play and the kid has a lot of potential. What really is confusing to me is why the college coaching staffs dont work on correcting the mechanics of many Qb's (Jacobs and Young are a perfect example).

Hey Boomer, what do you think of Titus Adams from Nebraska? I read somewhere he was having a great season. I believe that the D Line coach is the same one who developed Charles Haley, Russell Maryland and few others. I was just wondering what you thought about him and where he might go.

I think Jacobs is still a compelling case even in the 2nd round.

He could improve his draft stock dramatically just by working with a quality QB coach in pre-draft preparation, and showing off some brand new mechanics to scouts in his workout. If he looks good in the new clothes so-to-speak, all the sudden you could see him pop back into the first round.

ckparrothead said:
I think Jacobs is still a compelling case even in the 2nd round.

He could improve his draft stock dramatically just by working with a quality QB coach in pre-draft preparation, and showing off some brand new mechanics to scouts in his workout. If he looks good in the new clothes so-to-speak, all the sudden you could see him pop back into the first round.

Agree, the physical tools this kid has are simply phenomenal. You cant teach them. If he does well in the combines...watch out, I see him bach up in mid 2nd rd to late first.

What would be important for his school workouts and the combine is for the guy to show them something they haven't seen before from him...classic dropback mechanics, and consistency in his accuracy from the dropback mechanics.

Hey Simon, all this QB talk is starting to drive me nuts...I agree with you taking Greenway over Jacobs...BTW,what do you think of England's group? Our group is 1 of the top 2 imo, Iatly,Guam,Chec republic and the US.Do you have any predictions?

Ozzy rules!!

Go Italy 2006 world cup

Greenway over Jacobs to me is a gimme. Greenway over Cutler...a little more difficult a decision to make.

Back
Top Bottom