Opinion: Tannenbaum is worse than Jeff Ireland | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Opinion: Tannenbaum is worse than Jeff Ireland

No different than "x is the greatest QB" after a good game.

Even if one always felt that way, due to the timing its always going to look like an impulsive take.

There's some good young talent on this team. I don't know if we could ever say that under Jeff Ireland.

Some of the young players making a big impact are Jay Ajayi, Jarvis Landry, DaVante Parker, Laremy Tunsil and Xavien Howard. Some pretty solid depth guys that are young as well such as Kenyan Drake, Tony Lippett and maybe Cordrea Tankersley.

There certainly have been some moves that I haven't liked such as the trade up to get Leonte Carroo. Miami gave up a lot for a player who still can't find the field. Some of that isn't his fault.

There are also similarities such as not being able to put the final pieces together. Why is the offensive line, as an example, always missing a player or two? I think it's part of the nature of the NFL with the salary cap, but some team are certainly more complete and better at putting the pieces together.

Let's see where we are after one more offseason because I think based on talent Miami should be top half of the league. Unfortunately, some of the weaknesses (linebacker, offense guard) are pretty glaring.

There's some good young talent on this team. I don't know if we could ever say that under Jeff Ireland.

Some of the young players making a big impact are Jay Ajayi, Jarvis Landry, DaVante Parker, Laremy Tunsil and Xavien Howard. Some pretty solid depth guys that are young as well such as Kenyan Drake, Tony Lippett and maybe Cordrea Tankersley.

There certainly have been some moves that I haven't liked such as the trade up to get Leonte Carroo. Miami gave up a lot for a player who still can't find the field. Some of that isn't his fault.

There are also similarities such as not being able to put the final pieces together. Why is the offensive line, as an example, always missing a player or two? I think it's part of the nature of the NFL with the salary cap, but some team are certainly more complete and better at putting the pieces together.

Let's see where we are after one more offseason because I think based on talent Miami should be top half of the league. Unfortunately, some of the weaknesses (linebacker, offense guard) are pretty glaring.

Landry was Hickey. Talk around here was that most of the 2015 draft was Hickey too (outside Jordan Phillips who he didn't want lol).

Great job Tannenbaum with all that young talent!

At least there was one year Ireland put together a good offensive line, in 2009. Tannenbaum 3 years hasn't fixed this ongoing issue. He put together the best offensive line in football when he was with the Jets, that along with a great defense was how the Jets got to back to back AFC championship games

Stills and Landry are proven players. Tunsil is developing into a stud. Charles Harris -WTF!!!??? I see nothing in this guy. And Ireland was the worst period. Ever. The end.

Tunsil developing into a stud??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! So far the guy Hickey drafted is much better. I really hope this changes quickly, Laremy is struggling for some reason.

2017 1 1 22 22 Charles Harris LB Missouri
2 2 22 54 Raekwon McMillan LB Ohio State
3 3 33 97 Cordrea Tankersley DB Clemson
4 5 20 164 Isaac Asiata G Utah
5 5 35 178 Davon Godchaux DT Louisiana State
6 6 10 194 Vincent Taylor DT Oklahoma State
7 7 19 237 Isaiah Ford WR Virginia Tech

2016 1 1 13 13 Laremy Tunsil T Mississippi
2 2 7 38 Xavien Howard DB Baylor
3 3 10 73 Kenyan Drake RB Alabama
4 3 23 86 Leonte Carroo WR Rutgers
5 6 11 186 Jakeem Grant WR Texas Tech
6 6 29 204 Jordan Lucas DB Penn State
7 7 2 223 Brandon Doughty QB Western Kentucky
8 7 10 231 Thomas Duarte

I thought Howard was going to be a steal but thus far he has not performed. He has not looked good in the last two games. Tunsil has not played well at LT and he was supposed to be a future HOFer. It's way too early but I don't see any one of these picks that have made much of a positive impact outside of maybe Godchaux. None have been difference makers or star players who fly out of the gate. That's what we have been missing for decades.

Now add in Alonso and Maxwell.....if you look at just this year, I'd say they were a bust but...

When so many players are under-performing, it's time to look at the coaching staff. Start with the secondary coach?

Is Andre Branch earning his fat contract? I haven't hear his name called much at all. Timmon's certainly is not. Alonso? Maxwell?

Last week was a train wreck.

The only positive I can see from this is the same thing happened last year in the Tennessee game and we turned the entire season around after that poor showing. The good part in comparison is that we are 1-1 and not 1-4 like 2016 (with the only win coming in OT vs the lowly Browns).

I still have faith in Gase.

You guys are crazy. Most these guys we are talking about got the Miami Dolphins to the playoffs last year.. easy sched.. all coaching.. whatever you want to say.. they actually got it done. Now after 2 weeks with one loss the young talent is trash?
We know there is cap room to be had. I am also guessing Gase drafts a qb rd4
I dont like either GM but slooooow down

Howard, Landry and Parker aren't doing anything.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, and a bunch of people will probably disagree with me again.

But hear me out.

At least with Jeff Ireland we had hope. Every year we would have the chance to improve the team. Sign free agents. Bring in draft picks. Sure, Jeff Ireland screwed the pooch every time when it came to picking those free agents and draft picks, but at least there was always a shot he would hit the jackpot and actually pick good players and then we'd have a good team.

Tannenbaum doesn't give you that. Not only does he pick bad players, he also mortgages the furture for them, and throws the team into cap hell in doing so. Trading up draft picks, trading away draft picks, giving out ridiculous contracts because hey, it's not his money!

Yeah, the Dolphins will probably look better for the rest of the season than they did today, because it's damn near impossible to look any worse. But next season? Next season will not be an improvement over this season. We are going to lose some of the few good, young players we have found, and we will have to replace them with scraps. The 2018 Dolphins will almost definitely be worse than the 2017 Dolphins.

There's no hope.
No optimism.
No looking to the future.
And the longer Tannenbaum gets, the deeper he will dig this team into a hole.

Ireland was very good at drafting overall, he simply struggled in FA like many GM's. That combined with the fact he had no control over the H.C, who imo was always the biggest problem, was a death sentence for him, especially combined with his abrasive personality. I don't know as much about Tannenbaum, but overall I have been pleasantly surprised with his moves since he got here, as well as Dennis Hickey's. Last game was awful, really the last 2, but we are a much better team then we were on Sunday, as are the Baltimore Ravens. If we had our franchise QB who Ireland drafted btw I doubt we get embarrassed that badly last Sunday, but think of how many teams in the league would be absolutely screwed without their starting QB. We are no different if Jay doesn't f****** step it up and hit wide open receivers in the middle of the field...

I've always said Ireland drafted players with high floors and not high ceilings. They would never be as bad as some players are, but also never be as good. Tbum always tries to hit home runs and strikes out most of the time. The worst thing he has done is continually inching closer and closer to the cap hell threshold. That will set us back worse than bad draft picks.

Irelands biggest issues was his inability to speak to players or the media (remember the Dez draft interview incident?). Such a dumb thing to ask someone. He just didn't have the respect of many people. Because of this, us fans judged his signings worse than they actually were. Again, he selected guys who would not suck usually, and stayed away from guys who were hit or miss. He'd rather go with a player with a smaller window of talent then swing and miss. He thought a single was better than a home run swing and possibly striking out.

Tbum in my mind always looks for the higher ceiling player and doesn't care that he strikes out. In his mind, the one home run erases the three or four strike outs (Caroo, cap hell). I think Tbum is worse for a team overall.

I've always said Ireland drafted players with high floors and not high ceilings. They would never be as bad as some players are, but also never be as good. Tbum always tries to hit home runs and strikes out most of the time. The worst thing he has done is continually inching closer and closer to the cap hell threshold. That will set us back worse than bad draft picks.

Irelands biggest issues was his inability to speak to players or the media (remember the Dez draft interview incident?). Such a dumb thing to ask someone. He just didn't have the respect of many people. Because of this, us fans judged his signings worse than they actually were. Again, he selected guys who would not suck usually, and stayed away from guys who were hit or miss. He'd rather go with a player with a smaller window of talent then swing and miss. He thought a single was better than a home run swing and possibly striking out.

Tbum in my mind always looks for the higher ceiling player and doesn't care that he strikes out. In his mind, the one home run erases the three or four strike outs (Caroo, cap hell). I think Tbum is worse for a team overall.

Good post, great insight and I mostly agree. Ironically the Jordan selection was totally against Ireland's MO, but I think he was feeling the heat at that point in time and just said F it, time to swing for the fences...

I'm pretty sure Tannenbum was the GM when Mark Sanchez almost took the jets to the superbowl in 2011. He is usually good at drafting defensive players but not sure what happened these last years with Miami.

Tunsil developing into a stud??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! So far the guy Hickey drafted is much better. I really hope this changes quickly, Laremy is struggling for some reason.
He will be good. My point was Ireland was the worst GM the world has ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom