Over the last 5 years, Dolphins ranked number 2 in drafting. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Over the last 5 years, Dolphins ranked number 2 in drafting.

Ravens are 21st and 49ers are 24th...Teams that don't need to start draft picks as their veterans are ok..So this crappy study says they suck at drafting?

I'm sorry, this is the worst thing I've seen since that bogus QBR thing ESPN still tries to push on us.

Chiefs being number is all I need to see to know it has no merit.

Ravens are 21st and 49ers are 24th...Teams that don't need to start draft picks as their veterans are ok..So this crappy study says they suck at drafting?

I'm sorry, this is the worst thing I've seen since that bogus QBR thing ESPN still tries to push on us.

You are 100% right We could start the worst players at every position and just because Ireland drafted them and they are starting doesn't make him a good gm. If your draft picks start and u win then this would be true. They can start a high school caliber team for 5 yrs what does that prove? It proves we don't know what good talent is

I remand the study back to the National Football Post to re-do it and take out the fallacies. It's easier for a draftee to start on a bad team because the bad team does not have good veterans and because to some degree the bad team is willing to go with youth to develop. The Dolphins have started a number of guys since Jeff Ireland began as the GM who picked up starts but really set the franchise back because we blew the opportunity cost to develop a much better player.

In their re-do, National Football Post should create a weighted average factoring in wins, pro bowl appearances by the draftees, and whether the players signed a new contract after the rookie deal expired. If you keep turning around the players you drafted, you are not doing a good job drafting players who fit your program, or you are changing your program haphazardly. In baseball, they use "quality starts" for pitchers (6 + innings, 3 or less earned runs). Something like that could be added if they wanted to do a serious study, not the amateurish drivel they threw out for public consumption.

I am willing to go along with the fact that I think Ireland will do fine this off-season. The Dolphins' big problems are easily solved this offseason, and Ireland has smarter coaches who can identify talent better than the last idiot. But let's not pretend that Miami has been the second best drafting team the past 5 years. That's blatantly false. The Dolphins have largely drafted players who sucked (Merling, Henne, P Turner, P White, Murphy, Egnew, Gates et al) or were not or likely will not be retained past their rookie deals (Langford, Long, Davis, S Smith, Hartline). How many of the draftees the past 5 years have been in the Pro Bowl? Long? How many wins did they account for? How many got a second contract?

In all the real measures for success of draftees, Miami has failed miserably. Now, will it get corrected this offseason? I say yes. It would be darn near impossible not to. Not when there is plenty of talent at the positions Miami needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
UdTfs-1.gif

Drafted players can become starters by default because of lack of better options in front of them.

Five years of being the #2 drafting team in football and yet we havent made the playoff since 08. Color me skeptical.

We havent been awful, but even the biggest homer has to know that article is a tad misleading.

Five years of being the #2 drafting team in football and yet we havent made the playoff since 08. Color me skeptical.

We havent been awful, but even the biggest homer has to know that article is a tad misleading.

You can have a lambo sitting in your driveway, but if you don't have an engine to drive it off the lot, its worthless. A QB is the engine...

Let's hope that our new engine is supercharged.

Why was this study even published? I don't care if they did the research; when the results make so little sense (KC, MIA, AZ, CLE, PHI), don't make it public. The criteria is badly flawed.

Yeah, I don't buy it.

San Francisco 49ers. Go look at their draft classes.

I'll take what they have.

Thanks.

You know what the data tells me? It's ALL about the QB. Take the Chiefs for instance, they have 6 Pro Bowlers, but the #1 overall pick? Why? Because their QB was garbage. If you put Russel Wilson on that team in 2012, that same team is in the playoffs.

The reason the top 5 best drafting teams over the past 5 years all have poor records is because they failed at drafting the MOST IMPORTANT position. Put a good QB on those squads, and they are instant playoff teams.

EDIT:

That being said, I also think that coaching does play a part in it, as evidenced by the 49ers situation.

Back
Top Bottom