Overrated/Underrated | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Overrated/Underrated

mbsinmisc said:
Im tired of the race card being flipped out every time it suits someones viewpoint

It is 2006, not 1963. I love the Dolphins, if they get a good QB , I dont care if he is green.

If the Eagles would trade McNabb for pennies on the dollar, or if Culpepper showed he was not damaged goods I would root just as hard for those guys as I did Marino or Greise.

get the **** over it.

Oh, and I think Vince Young is gonna be a bust.

:shakeno:

Yeah. No such thing as racism anymore. Completely eradicated. Everybody thinks everybody is equal.

Look, I know people want the issue to go away. It's ugly, it's embarrassing and it's unpleasant.

But it's still out there. And if we pretend it isn't, it's only going to get worse.

Just because YOU are not affected by race (which is awesome) doesn't mean you should make the mistake of thinking no one is.

Thinking nothing is about race is just as dangerous as thinking everything is about race.

I can't stand it when the race card, or sexual harrassment or anything like that is used because of its power and not because it's appropriate, it makes it harder to combat real issues. And I'm the first to call that out.

But to think that it doesn't play a part in some things is equally ignorant.

Racism is a double edged sword.

One of my first jobs entailed going into neighborhoods where I was not welcome. I felt the anger seething from some of the people I was dealing with.

I do not doubt that prejudice exists in every community in these united states.

Any true Dolfan accepts players of all races. If Dolphin management proposed an all white team most if not all members of this board would rise up in anger.

In last years draft did anyone say we should draft Smith or Rogers because they are white? Of course not. If people dont like Young or Vick , it is usually because they see flaws in their game, not their pigmentation.

By the way, I still think Vince Young sucks.

mbsinmisc said:
Racism is a double edged sword.

One of my first jobs entailed going into neighborhoods where I was not welcome. I felt the anger seething from some of the people I was dealing with.

Any true Dolfan accepts players of all races. If Dolphin management proposed an all white team most if not all members of this board would rise up in anger.

In last years draft did anyone say we should draft Smith or Rogers because they are white? Of course not. If people dont like Young or Vick , it is usually because they see flaws in their game, not their pigmentation.

By the way, I still think Vince Young sucks.

Just because you don't care a bit about race, doesn't mean others don't. Don't make that mistake.

Oh, and:

"I still think Vince Young sucks."

Takes all kinds, I guess.

If you read my post you would see that I know racism exists.

My point was that true fans dont care if a player is black or white.

I can discuss a players skills without consideration of race. Can you?

Again, Vince Young is gonna flop like a fat girl on a new trampoline.

My underrated/overrated thread turned into a Cutler vs. Young argument :lol:
For the record, I have no idea how Young's going to turn out. He could be a huge bust or a huge star, or somewhere in between. That's what makes the draft so exciting.

nopony said:
Yeah, dang that nopony and his pesky facts!

Give me a break.

Also if you bothered to read... your reaction to Young may have nothing to do with his skin color... but if you think it doesn't play into his overall reaction, you are living in a sheltered world.
No, you are living in a monolithic one.

jlfin said:
No, you are living in a monolithic one.

Yeah. My bad. Racism is dead. No such thing anymore. EVERYBODY is completely colorblind and discrimination free.

And the world is full of pink unicorns and puffy rainblow clouds.

nopony said:

had a dream like that once...ended up getting attacked by the M&M people and their tyrant of a leader Papa Smurf..Luckily however Rambo came to my rescue...Swamp Thing made a brief appearance, but it was just to play a game of chess...go figure :( oh my bad, back to the racism thing...

nopony said:
Every thread where there is someone who mistakenly states that Vince Young is a runner, not a passer.

So, if leading the nation in passing wasn't good enough for you, what is? Being an moderately accurate white guy from a terrible football school?

Wow, someone had to go and turn this into a discrimination thread.......

Why is it that you absolutely cannot have a discussion on legitimate positives and negatives of an african american person without someone turning the whole situation into a racial argument.
Dosen't matter what the topic is, someone inevitably will turn it into that.

Did anyone accuse the NFL as being racist against Asians because not one team in the NFL drated Timmy Chang? After all, he was the all time leading passer in NCAA history.

The fact that this came up......... It's pretty damn pathetic. :shakeno:

nopony said:
Yeah. My bad. Racism is dead. No such thing anymore. EVERYBODY is completely colorblind and discrimination free.

there will always be tons of racism. it's been around for hundreds and thousands of years. and it's natural to be "fearful" of something/someone different. just how human nature is.

there's a big difference between actually treating someone differently or unfairly or unjustly because of their race and just assuming a black QB is a run-first player (most are, coincidently).

In_Flames said:
had a dream like that once...ended up getting attacked by the M&M people and their tyrant of a leader Papa Smurf..Luckily however Rambo came to my rescue...Swamp Thing made a brief appearance, but it was just to play a game of chess...go figure :( oh my bad, back to the racism thing...

:D

Trekbiz said:
Wow, someone had to go and turn this into a discrimination thread.......

Why is it that you absolutely cannot have a discussion on legitimate positives and negatives of an african american person without someone turning the whole situation into a racial argument.
Dosen't matter what the topic is, someone inevitably will turn it into that.

Did anyone accuse the NFL as being racist against Asians because not one team in the NFL drated Timmy Chang? After all, he was the all time leading passer in NCAA history.

The fact that this came up......... It's pretty damn pathetic. :shakeno:

I think the pathetic part is that they may have a point. They can bring it up and have a good discussion about it.

For instance if Jay Culter was black there would be people on this board who would call him a running quarterback.

Also if Vince Young were white, he would be compared to Steve Young and not Randle Cunningham.

I do believe just like Steve Young, Vince Young will be great if he could get his mechanics down.

Back
Top Bottom