Pft: Handling Of Culpepper Harmful To Fins? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pft: Handling Of Culpepper Harmful To Fins?

LOL some accusing others of generalizing in order to look right? too funny.

So what you want us to believe is that the top FA every year look at organizational structures over money right? Funny Clements took 80 mil form SFran yet the Yorks were considered horrible owner only 2 1/2 years ago, now they are great? Does Miami have a history of holding onto players it doesnt want?

Let me tell you something, no matter how much you are in love with Daunte, and how much you need to win this argument for Dauntes sake, money is was and will always be the driving factor in FA. Damien Woody is another prime example 2 years ago, Detroit sucks yet offered 9 mil guarenteed, more than anyone else would offer and they are losers bigger than we ever were.

When $ is similar among multiple teams , then the other factors weigh in. Notice I didnt say identical money, I said similar. Other factors are important, winning, culture, location, but they are factors that are considered after the money has been established.

SO go ahead and keep hoping you can twist reality to show how the Fins were so horrible in their treatment of Daunte. Daunte has his own culpability in this fiasco.

I really think that you, and others like you, overstate the money factor in the free agency process. OF COURSE, when a player hits the FA market they are looking to get top dollar, but the salary cap makes all teams equal when it comes to money. In a given year, some teams have more cap room than others, but the top FA guys always have multiple deals that are similar in dollar value. The difference usually comes down to the pay structure. Whatever a player's market value may be, there are usually a couple of teams willing to meet that price. Another thing to mention is that you don't want to be the team throwing big money at every FA guy out there, ask the Redskins how that works out in the end.

On another issue, why do you assume that people who think that the Dolphins handled this situation poorly are automatically "in love" with Culpepper? Who the player happens to be is of no significance when it comes to evaluating how a player was treated professionally. I think those that have such hatred for DC should remove him from the issue and and ask themselves how "player X" should be dealt with in a similar situation.

If you don't think that every player on our roster, as well as a good number of players from around the league, have watched this situation with DC and said "if they are doing that to him, what would they do to me?" then you are sadly mistaken.

Civil? LOL I ant being volatile, I am not upset, nor angry, nor sad, I find this all funny as he**.
Sorry if I misunderstood, but comments like that can turn a thread into a 15 page pissing contest.

The top FA in every FA class arent winners? They dont want to win because they want paid? Dont live in your false utopia, it doesnt exist. All players no matter who they are want paid market value, same as you and same as I in our "markets". It isnt greed and it isnt arrogance. Other factors do weigh in as I have said once the money is satisfied. Yeah some players take less to play where they like, but comeon dude, do you really think a player would turn down a contract that totalled say for example 10 to 20 mil more and 5 mil more guarenteed money to stay somewhere else?
It's not a utopia, it's reality. There are players that turn down more money because they want to play in a better sitaution, as you even admitted to.

Here are a couple of examples off the top of my head regarding what I meant.

Greedy player:

Chris Hope: Miami showed interest in him and he made it quite clear that $$$ was his only objective, so he signed with the Titans.

Dockery: Good player but he isn't a top tier player at his position, but he ran to where the most money was and signed with Buffalo, which isn't exactly in a position to win it all.

Clements: Great player, but went where the most money was.

Samuel: 2nd best corner in FA and he's currently involved in a contract dispute with a holdout a real possibility. He turned down a contract that is more than fair, but he wants to break the bank and seems to be willing to leave a team with a great opportunity at a SB to get paid. He even has a tattoo that says "Get paid", that's all you really need to know IMO. :lol:

Player more concerned with winning:

Kris Dielman: One of the top OL in this years crop. I really was hoping that Miami would have made a run at him, but he took less than he was offered elsewhere to stay in SD.
http://cfx.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/cfx/2007/03/breaking_news_kris_dielman_sig.html

You could even add players like Jason Taylor or Zach Thomas to that list because it seems like every year they are restructuring their contract to help the team get into a better financial situation to bring in players that can help the team.

I agree that the number of players that are willing to take less is far exceeded by the ones only interested in getting the most money, but which type of player would you rather have.......a "me first" player or a guy that is willing to do what it takes to win?

I also am not anti - Daunte. But I refuse to clear Daunte of any responsibility in his fate. He wanted released, Fins wanted a trade. I dont blame DC for doing what was best for him based on his belief. WHy do you believe teh Fins had a responsibility to look out for Daunte first before their own interests? Utopia just doesnt exist.
I never said that, I saw him as an asset. I pointed this out elsewhere that the Dolphins have been really careless with their draft picks for a long time now, I was hoping that they would have tried to get something for Daunte instead just releasing him.

CK pointed out that Miami has spent 7 picks on the QB position over the last 4 years, 3 of those picks were 2nd rounders. The only player for which those 2nd rounders were used that is still on the team is Beck. That bothers me. Add in the picks for Ricky and the poor draft history, and I was hoping that Miami would have learned a thing or two and not just pissed an asset away. I thought Miami owed it to themselves to get the most out of what they have, that's all. It's over and done with and obviously they felt differently.

Most of use mortals? So I am not human now because I see all the talented players go where the money is and where the winning team's are? Well, as a supernatural alien I guess I have a bigger view of what goes on in the universe. I am sorry, but in a world where money rules I have a hard time believing that most players sit around thinking, money and winning are not major factors in what team they choose.
You missed the point of me saying that. I am saying people pretend football players should act/do act any differently then most of the rest of the human population. I never said money and winning wasn't a major factor, you implied they were the only two factors.
Five-year, $32 million contract with a $12 million signing bonus and an additional $8 million in guaranteed money.
Still your not joey porter and do not know his main reasoning. Obviously as of last year miami was not a winner so I guess that was not one of his major factors like you now assert.

What you implied is that money and winning are not the major factors for signing players. Seems to me like all the big FA names went where the money is and where the winning teams are.
I implied nothing of the sort, I said that you are generalizing all players as their only motivation being money and winning.
You said:
Players care about winning and money. What happened with Culpepper will not make a difference.
Which implies that those are the only two factors and now you are trying to prove that no free agent will ever consider how the fo treated culpepper.

I don't think Miami will be signing any more players coming off three torn ligaments to big contracts in free agency, so I don't think that will be a problem.
You don't think, I hope we don't. Either way what if next time it's an injury prone player. May not have the same injuries but none the less ability to go down to an injury and still have a fair shot at being a starter again could play a role in someones reasoning.

A backup is a whole different field. Sure they are going to choose based on their best chance to play, because they won't be getting the big contract deals. I feel that depth should be added through years of drafting, and that free agency should be used to add one or two starters.
Then I guess that disproves your theory of all players care about only money and winning doesn't it.
Also, I think that the majority in this thread sees it like me and not your way says something.
Right because the mob mentality has never been dangerous and is always right. Just because the majority agrees with you does not make you right.

I got about half way through this thread and noticed three things.

1) Everyone who supported Culpepper says it will have a negative effect on our ability to sign FA's.

2) Seems like everyone who wanted Trent Green thinks it will have no effect on our ability to sign FA's.

3) Everyone who supported Culpepper and who has at least once bashed PFT and suggested they fabricate stories, agrees with PFT here and finds their "sources" to be completely credible in this instance.

I got about half way through this thread and noticed three things.

1) Everyone who supported Culpepper says it will have a negative effect on our ability to sign FA's.

2) Seems like everyone who wanted Trent Green thinks it will have no effect on our ability to sign FA's.

3) Everyone who supported Culpepper and who has at least once bashed PFT and suggested they fabricate stories, agrees with PFT here and finds their "sources" to be completely credible in this instance.

I supported Culpepper and don't think it will have a negative effect. :wink:

Lol at people putting lol in order to look right. Also very funny.

Do you honestly believe money is the only factor in making a decision? If thats how you think I wonder how happy you really are in your current occupation. I know when I look at a job there is a number of factors such as how hard am I going to have to work, is there room for growth, etc.

Let me tell you something you can make it into a daunte lover/hater argument because that makes it easier for you to argue. Perhaps you protect the fo because of your dislike for daunte.

Thats what I have been arguing, but I also argue that it is not always the main factor, nor is it the only factor, or first factor.

So does the fo. Funny how people justify the fo's move as just business then try to condemn dc. Hmmmmmm theres a word for that.

All in this jumbo you try to turn my argument and use it against me. It isLOL because it is funny, not because I am right, I have my opinion. I am not the Daunte fan that refuses to concede a point out of fear that it may appear Dauntye wasnt the greatest since sliced bread.

[mod]Please refrain from circumventing the profanity filter.[/mod]
I have said both sides could have hgandled it better, the FO could have moved faster to determine if a deal was there or not and moved from there. Daunte could have kept his mouth shut and been a professional rather than a baby. Remember Daunte pulled the same **** to get out of Minny last year. make any excuse you want, but it is true.

As far players taking less to stay with their team, yes it does happen. But how much less? Dielman didnt take alot less than he was offered, it was ballpark.

The last point in my last post in this thread, anyone that thinks a FA doesnt look at money first is in utopia not reality, no matter how much you tell yourself your utopia is reality. Like I said Money will be forever #1 driving force, then from there a discount may be given for hometown, hometeam, or an organ that competes every year. It starts with the money tho, if Dielman was staying in SD rtegardless of the money, why did it take a couple weeks to get done? Why didnt he resigne before FA started? He was making sure the money was in the ballpark.

The Patriots held onto their pro bowl, Super Bowl MVP WR into the regular season after they tried to give him a contract extension that wasn't even close to being on par with what other FA WRs were signing at the time.

Deion Branch filed 2 grievances with the NFLPA, one of them because New England only gave him 6 days to initiate a trade, and when another team stepped to the table, the Pats balked at the offer even though a contract extension for Branch was in place.

Tom Brady practically begged the team in the media to bring him back, and I think we all know the story from there.

Oh an btw, the Patriots just signed arguably the best WR corps in the league this off-season, and one of the best LBs.

I mean, considering we're talking about a franchise player here, a guy you've built your championships on, and then the team low balls him, then nixes potential trades that would've scored him the extension he was looking for...you'd think FAs would stay away from the Pats as if their players were all coming down with the plague.

Yeah, I'm sure the fact that Miami paid Daunte Culpepper 8 million dollars for 4 horrid games then let him go on his way when they couldn't even get a, more than likely, 5th rounder for him is going to really burn a player we're willing to hand a ****load of cash to.

The Patriots held onto their pro bowl, Super Bowl MVP WR into the regular season after they tried to give him a contract extension that wasn't even close to being on par with what other FA WRs were signing at the time.

Deion Branch filed 2 grievances with the NFLPA, one of them because New England only gave him 6 days to initiate a trade, and when another team stepped to the table, the Pats balked at the offer even though a contract extension for Branch was in place.

Tom Brady practically begged the team in the media to bring him back, and I think we all know the story from there.

Oh an btw, the Patriots just signed arguably the best WR corps in the league this off-season, and one of the best LBs.

I mean, considering we're talking about a franchise player here, a guy you've built your championships on, and then the team low balls him, then nixes potential trades that would've scored him the extension he was looking for...you'd think FAs would stay away from the Pats as if their players were all coming down with the plague.

Yeah, I'm sure the fact that Miami paid Daunte Culpepper 8 million dollars for 4 horrid games then let him go on his way when they couldn't even get a, more than likely, 5th rounder for him is going to really burn a player we're willing to hand a ****load of cash to.

Bullseye.

It will likely affect Free agency for us in the future.

I highly doubt it. Culpepper was Saban's guy. Cameron and Mueller had no allegiance to Culpepper, especially since the guy still isn't healthy and wasn't playing at an NFL level. Players and fans alike will have forgotten this whole thing once Daunte signs with another team, rides the bench and is cut never to play in the NFL again.

Back
Top Bottom