Votes: 121 51.9%
  • No.

Votes: 93 39.9%
  • Uncertain.

Votes: 19 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Originally posted by spazzolian
The point is people... Jay Fiedler is the best QB on our team. The Dolphins play better with him, and win more with than we lose. I'm all for bring in some new talent, but untill we have a clear idea that AJ Feeley is really all that he's cracked up to be, I say... lets support the big eared guy... he's not as bad as you guys make him out to be.
Spazzo...

actually, the point is the FO seems content with Jay, and refuses to bring in a top prospect to compete with him. Since he's been here he's been mediocre, and the FO refuses to bring in true competition for him. THAT is why I want him gone. The FO has an unhealthy attachment to Jay as our starter. Until he's gone, they won't bring in someone better, unless they stumble on someone (feeley).

Originally posted by Graythreat

actually, the point is the FO seems content with Jay, and refuses to bring in a top prospect to compete with him. Since he's been here he's been mediocre, and the FO refuses to bring in true competition for him. THAT is why I want him gone. The FO has an unhealthy attachment to Jay as our starter. Until he's gone, they won't bring in someone better, unless they stumble on someone (feeley).

I can actually understand this argument, and I respect that it doesn't blame Jay for Jay being here. It puts the blame where it belongs.

The only reason I am not in this camp is because I really think we have made a FO break this year from DW to RS and that AJ is intended to be true competition. They did try for Brunell and Ramsey, and I think anybody would have to be comfortable with either of those guys as competition. AJ is apparently a guy Ron Wolf was extremely high on who RS looked at carefully and decided was better than the other options that looked certain.

Will AJ work out? I think we're all in the position of hoping so. :)

Originally posted by Asphyx

Will you find that guy if you keep trotting Jay out there? NO!

We're unlikely to create a top 10 QB out of ether. These guys are generally known quantities.

Norv system requires an accurate QB not a strong armed one as Aikman and Johnson prove...Neither are what you call cannons for arms...Better than Jay maybe but then again who isn't?

I'm not certain Jeff Garcia has a better arm than Jay. I do think his accuracy is better. I would submit that Norv's system requires at least average for a NFL QB arm strength as well as accuracy. We agree that neither of these is a Jay strength.

Maybe if we got rid of Jay there would be room on the roster to bring someone else in and give them a chance!

We have room to do that now. We have AJ, and we can get rid of Sage easily right now and achieve real cap savings (around $300k vs. $5k for Jay right now).

You don't seem to want to do that! And what about being 22nd in passing is that much better than being 26th...A whole 221 yards better? That is what makes you RATHER change a System than a QB?
Maybe we should have stuck with Lamar and changed the system since he was only off 200 yards off his previous year too...

Let's put it this way -- I wouldn't have wanted to go with Curtis Keaton at RB and get rid of Lamar Smith. We had good reason to believe Ricky would be an upgrade. Hell, I think we had good reason to think that a Minor/another guy rotation would have been an upgrade.

I want to be clear that I would be very happy to see somebody beat Jay out. It would only be a good thing. Jay represents 2 games out of 3 won and a 20-something ranked game. I'm all for anybody who can improve on that. 3 out of 4 and a top 15 offense would be outstanding in my book. :)

You keep saying Chan did better but it came down to a whole 13 yards better or a first down per game!
For that we should change a top offensive system and not the QB....

I don't think we should change the QB for the sake of changing the QB. It should only happen when we have somebody better. As far as Norv goes, yes, it was his job to get that extra 13 yards or anything else he could get. I would have to hope that it would be more than 13 yards given the entry of Ricky, an experienced Chambers, and Randy McMichael, though.

And your worried that another QB would be worse? What is the sense of having a QB who can only throw screens?

This mischaracterized what was said. I don't want only screens (that was IIRC all Huard was capable of). I just don't see the evil in running as many of them as Chan did with Jay.

Not only do you want him here you want him to be the starter...Anyone who wants Jay to be here is a jaybot!

You really need to get over this hysterical stuff and understand that I do not want Jay to be our starter unless there is no better alternative.

Anyoine who makes excuses for Jay and blames the rest of the team is a Jaybot...Anyone who thinks we can make the playoffs with Jay is a Jaybot!

You're arguing with history now. We HAVE made the playoffs with Jay. It can happen again. In fact, we have been a tiebreaker away each of the past two years. Give that thought.

Given 4 years anyone of them would have eventually learned the system and done better than Jay...but lets for now just say SAGE....

Why not say Jim Druckenmiller, man? I know there are a couple of other hard core Sage guys on this board, but I think you're the entire Sage fan club. The guy has apparently shown the coaching staff nothing to even suggest he is capable of being the backup. I won't entertain Sage any more than I entertained Damon Huard.

If there was an answer to my question, I believe it was Brian Griese. If your question was why Jay and not Brian this year, I think it's a good one. The only explanation I can offer is that Brian is like Kurt Warner and Kerry Collins -- guys you don't want behind a questionable line. The problem with that explanation is that we're not certain how good this line will be at the start of the season. They might gel quickly and be at least average right from the start, or it may be an 8 game struggle before things fall into place.

Now show me some numbers that prove Sage is not as good as Jay....I dare you!

I can't show you numbers about Sage any more than I can show numbers about me being better or worse than Jay. Dude doesn't play. I guess there may be some preseason numbers or something, but I have no idea where to get them. I also think it's really tricky to interpret preseason numbers due to the very nature of the preseason. Defenses are vanilla, and it's tough to go back and determine whether the QB was facing the first team D or backups.

Because he is holding back this team from it's destiny as a SB entrant!

You could make a good faith argument that Peyton Manning's poor play against New England did the same to the Colts this year.

My point there is not that Fiedler=Manning. It's that even Dan had considerable trouble getting the team to that "destiny". Even if we had Peyton Manning, the Super Bowl appearance is far from a sure thing. A team has to have that special something that you often don't even see until the playoffs to get that done.

So who do you care more about? One player or the REST of the team who IS performing and winning all those games you claim Jay wins for us?

I think we all care about all the players and don't want to see this team end up destructing due to a bad losing season. Jay is insurance that this doesn't happen. A lot of us want that insurance policy while we look for the guy who can do better than Jay.

I think it's just funny that when we win.....it's not b/c of Jay and when we lose it IS because of Jay.......not b/c our defense missed 24 tackles os ST missed kicks, of someone on the O missed a block or whatever......nope....every mistake is due to Jay according to some............

As pointed out numerous times.....the greatest QB of all time, a.k.a. dan the man, couldn't get us to the SB except one time 20 years ago. So....do you place all the blame for losing, and no post-season success on Dan or the team as a whole?

And we all know that although Jay isn't the best how when a backup gets in there and starts losing more games then jay....everyone screaming to put him back in.

I hope Feeley does outperform Jay as that would be it is a position that was improved, and there is room for improvement everywhere.

This whole team needs to get their act together, be more focused and disciplined and when every unit on this team stops screwing around then we will go where we want to......(is that disneyland? lol) And that.....starts with DW on down......

Originally posted by FinsOnTop
AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Won't this thread (and Jay) just go away please !!!!!!!!!!

You do know that when you respond in this way, it only encourages others to read it, don't you?

What is the point of asking people to stop discussing something? We want to continue, so why should we stop?

lol, i stopped reading this thread at 100 replies until just now....and i haven't read through the last 10 pages. Everytime I see this I think...."d@mn......this thread is like the engergizer bunny......it just keeps going and going and going......" :)

Jbond...Dan the Man was the reason we won as many games as we did thru the years....He was good for at least 2-3 wins by himself....On the other hand, JF is a non-factor in most wins and too often the cause of losses. He has never, that I recall, been the reason we won a game. It is agreed here that the QB takes too much blame for a loss and too much praise for a win, but JF reached a level, and that is all he has...period. To get to the next level as a team, we need more from the QB position. I guess the way to put it, is with the type of running game and defense we had the last 2 years, would Dan, have in his prime had taken us to the next step....I'm pretty sure he would have. It is time for us to move on and as you said, hopefully AJ will be a better QB.

i voteed yes he should stay a dolphin, however, he should only be the number 2 guy, he looked great comin off the bench against the Redskins when he led us on a come back, but when he starts, he looks horrible and makes bad decisions.

Fiedler is garbage

Originally posted by JBOND
think it's just funny that when we win.....it's not b/c of Jay and when we lose it IS because of Jay.......not b/c our defense missed 24 tackles os ST missed kicks, of someone on the O missed a block or whatever......nope....every mistake is due to Jay according to some............

That would be do to the fact that Jay Fielder is not asked to win games, he is asked not to lose them. Which he does.

As pointed out numerous times.....the greatest QB of all time, a.k.a. dan the man, couldn't get us to the SB except one time 20 years ago. So....do you place all the blame for losing, and no post-season success on Dan or the team as a whole?

Dan was asked to win games, which he happened to do on several occasions. I don't think many of the loses in his career were attributed to his poor play. Hmmm...If I recall I don't remember the great back he had playing with him or the dominating D. Oh, yeah we had John Offerdal...I forgot. C'mon Jay's had a nice cast around him...he is simply just not that good.

And we all know that although Jay isn't the best how when a backup gets in there and starts losing more games then jay....everyone screaming to put him back in.

I for one will not. I do not want to see Fielder in a Dolphins uniform anymore. I would rather see Feeley struggle than watch Fiedler play. Although, IMO Feeley was not the man we should have picked up, Fiedler is not a starting QB in this league and the Dolfans out there deserve better.

I was for getting rid of Fiedler before I was against it.
:tongue:

Originally posted by allred65
I was for getting rid of Fiedler before I was against it.
:tongue:

Go away, you Patriots fan you!

Oh, you mean you aren't John Kerry?

I don't want to get all political here, but I do want to point out that the best reason to hope Kerry doesn't win from any Dolphins fan perspective should be keeping Patriots fans out of power. Yes, I know lots of you want him and lots of you don't. Think of it as an additional reason he's bad if you're against him and some sort of silver lining if he loses/bad aspect of him winning if he wins if you're for him. :)

I just wanted to be a part of what now must be the longest running thread in the history of bulletin boards. This thread has become the "Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon" of threads. (For those that don't know, Dark Side of the Moon was on the charts for about a hundred years, it set many records).

Anyway, my two cents, if Feeley does not start this year, then we are in trouble. Fiedler was signed as insurance, backup, and tutor for Feeley. Fiedler will never be a locker room cancer, quite the contrary. That's why we brought him back. Just look at Wayne Huzienga's comments..."I hope Feeley is the next Dan Marino." Do you think he's been talking to Spielman? Rick is obviously high on this guy and has staked his job on the acquistion. If Feeley fails, so do the Dolphins.

Fiedler is too injury prone and the rest of the league, especially the Patsies, have figured Fiedler out. They know he can't throw deep, so they stack the line. I don't care who our skill players are, if we can't throw deep, we are in trouble.

We didn't give up a 2nd rounder so Feeley can carry a clipboard. We win now and that means winning with Feeley. I'm quite sure we'll some more quality Offensive players before pre-season. We have to surround Feeley with talent and let him get the experience he needs. Our season depends on it.

I would like to see out of our losses how FeeFee lost the games more then our Defense/ST did last season. Any takers?

Hey, I'm the first to admit that we need an upgrade at QB. The problem is, we aren't a team focused around a QB. We are focused on D and a strong running game. We don't need one of the top 5 QBs in the league to succeed. In addition, we're not willing to pay to have one of the top QBs in the league. We're set now with 2 QBs earning a grand total of 6 million. Most teams are paying that to 1 QB which we haven't in years. Our money has been devoted towards Defense. Jay, although sucks sometimes, and the O last year at least played consistently avg./below avg. last season while our D played great some games (and we won) and like the amateur scouting squad for other games (which we lost). If we seriously want a better QB then we will have to shell out more $$ to get him. And that would require us to cut some of our beloved Defense. We all want to ugprade the QB position but I don't think this idea that we will be able to have the 'supporting cast of Defense' etc. in conjuction with us having another marino or getting a manning type guy. We can't have it both ways.

This upcoming year, if we can finish building the right side of our line....I'll say that our offense (excluding QB) will have the potential and talent around it that we haven't had in a decade. If we can't win with Fiedler/Feeley at the helm then I think it's safe to say our "focus on Defense and run the ball" experiment has failed and we'll see some D cut out next year and placed back into the O to try to get a happier medium. Of course, with having Dbo, CC, McMac, Ricky the positions left would be the QB and Oline once again.

Grey - Excellent post...YOU get it!

We're unlikely to create a top 10 QB out of ether. These guys are generally known quantities.
Right they are known...They suck!
Lets stop crudding up the roster with KNOWN SUCKS and start getting in PROMISING UNKNOWNS...
A Promising UNKOWN can't be that much worse than a KNOWN SUCK!
It's almost as if you would rather know what your going to get and suck than not know and have a chance at finding the next Montana Warner Garcia or Brady!
Do you only watch game you KNOW they won? your GMing froma frightened perspective...your more concerned about knowing what you will get than you are about sucking another year...

I'm not certain Jeff Garcia has a better arm than Jay. I do think his accuracy is better. I would submit that Norv's system requires at least average for a NFL QB arm strength as well as accuracy. We agree that neither of these is a Jay strength.
So why keep Jay instead of going and get someone who at least HAS these qualities?

We have room to do that now. We have AJ, and we can get rid of Sage easily right now
Again so afraid of the unknown you want to cut a guy you have invested 2 years and haven't tested out yet in favor of a guy you have test driven for 4 years and has failed because he doesn't have the attibutes needed to succeed!

I don't think we should change the QB for the sake of changing the QB
We wouldn't be...we would be changing the QB for his lack of talent! Getting someone else for the sake of finding a better QB!

but I think you're the entire Sage fan club. The guy has apparently shown the coaching staff nothing to even suggest he is capable of being the backup
Sage hasn't had a chance to fail...Jay has!
You want to give up on a guy who has never had a chance in favor of a guy who has had 4 years and failed....
Funny but wasn't Sage supposed to be the guy who was going to be the replacement for Jay? Well when do you give him a chance to compete?

I can't show you numbers about Sage any more than I can show numbers about me being better or worse than Jay. Dude doesn't play.
And why not? Jay HAS failed...Sage has not...
Why are you so quick to get rid of a guy who has not failed but want so desperatly to keep a guy who has?

You could make a good faith argument that Peyton Manning's poor play against New England did the same to the Colts this year.
Colts wouldn't be where they are without Manning...
We would still be a 10-6 team without jay...
Name one game we won that could not have been won without Jay....I can name plenty on the Colts that were purely because Manning can pass!

Jay is insurance that this doesn't happen
OK so when it happens again with Jay here will you give up on him then?
Are you one of those people that has to get hit in the head with a hammer for half a decade before you realize HEY that hurts!

I would like to see out of our losses how FeeFee lost the games more then our Defense/ST did last season. Any takers?
Sure!
Houston Defense held to 14 points...Jay throws the INT that gets them into range for the winning FG
NE1 Defense holds them to 10 points Jay throws 2 INTs that gives them the ball back in OT so they could score and win
NE2 Defense holds to 3 points ay gives them 7 all on his own...

As pointed out numerous times.....the greatest QB of all time, a.k.a. dan the man, couldn't get us to the SB except one time 20 years ago.
Name the year Dan had a top 5 defense OR a 1800+ yard rusher and get back to us about how much he didn't do for us...
It's one thing to say a QB didn't get it done when he is part of a passing game that is ranked below 20th...But it's stupid when not only was the QB in the top 10 every year for 15 years but without an 1800 yard rusher still managed to make the total offense 8th in the year he was deemed not good enough anymore!

Funny how a guy who did that HAD to be replaced and the guy who comes in for him can do worse for half a decade and still be worth keeping!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom