Pouncey says the team got the message | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pouncey says the team got the message

Whoah, I never said that! I do think we're going to beat the Raiders, for a few reasons. But more than anything, the immediate impact of this will be less "Getting the message" and more "Temporary relief from internal conflict."
Interesting point.....you don't see this move putting a W in the win column do you?

You're right that sometimes a team just has to cut a player. I look at Moss when he went to the pats. He was considered a cancer but fell in line with the pats. That actually surprised me too.
Moss still had his share of non-football and football related incidents while playing for New England.

Sad,that professionals can't self-motivate themselves for millions of dollars....well,act like children,get treated like children..

Just want to point out to the Pouncey haters Gase praised him yet again in his presser yesterday. Pretty much said he’s always ready to go and loves football. Sounds like Pouncey didn’t need a message in the eyes of Gase despite what Finheaven may think.

The question is, why hadn't that been happening previously? The only answer I can surmise is that there is poor leadership among the players, they don't hold each other accountable, and so the head coach has to step in every year about this time and send a shockwave through the roster to get everybody to perform up to snuff.

Obviously that isn't ideal team functioning in the NFL. What it suggests is that there isn't a winning team culture cultivated by the players that sustains itself without any punitive intervention by the head coach.

In other words, "children" instead of men.

IMO the reason players seem to know the playbook and their responsibilities less than last year is because Tannehill isn't there to correct them. He was always putting players in the correct position or talking to them after the huddle broke. We see none of that this year. Just another one of the little things that Tannehill did that most people don't notice.

Talk is always going to be cheap after a 40-0 loss but these guys are answering questions instead of taking the dumb ass Marshawn Lynch approach, which is basically the other approach to an interview besides actually talking.

I guess the millions of dollars they are making isn't enough. They need to be publicly humiliated by the coach and opposing teams first. Yay I am so happy they care now!

Sad,that professionals can't self-motivate themselves for millions of dollars....well,act like children,get treated like children..

Part of the problem there is that they make those millions of dollars regardless of how well the team does. This is again why you need a critical mass of leaders care about how well the team does, and function in such a way that they create a culture that makes the other players do the same.

Exactly how many times do grown men need to be told the message?

People restating the message to show conformity need to be shown the door too.

When will we be rid of this cancer?

Exactly how many times do grown men need to be told the message?

People restating the message to show conformity need to be shown the door too.

When will we be rid of this cancer?

You're assuming this has been going on a long time and assuming Gfase didn't try to talk to them first as grown men. But, i agree. At some point 'you're gone.'

About leadership on this team, which recent draft class had an emphasis on college captains. Since it wasn't in the last couple years, I'm guessing it wasn't successful.

I don't know about any of you other fans but I sure as hell don't need a fire lit under my ass to do my job. If you're a mature adult you do your job to the best of your ability. You don't slack off, you don't cut corners or be lazy.

I don't know about any of you other fans but I sure as hell don't need a fire lit under my *** to do my job. If you're a mature adult you do your job to the best of your ability. You don't slack off, you don't cut corners or be lazy.

How old are you?

These players are young and of a much more selfish, self absorbed generation than mine

And it's easier for that to happen when you'll be a multi-millionaire regardless of how well you play.

What it takes to counter that is a winning team culture in which there is leadership among the players that holds the roster accountable for a high level of play, in the name of a long-term mutual goal the team wants to reach (i.e., the Super Bowl). I'm not sure this team has that.

What it does have, seemingly, is a head coach who feels he needs to send a shockwave through the roster about this time each year, to have the same kind of effect of shaping people up, but that isn't anywhere near the optimal way for a team to function in the NFL.

Bill Belichick rarely if ever has to send such shockwaves through his roster, because there is a nucleus of leadership among the players that holds the roster accountable. In fact when you simply come to New England as a player, it's understood that you'll be giving 110% at all times. The winning culture there holds players accountable, and there is no such laziness as alluded to in the post I quoted above.

This is why New England is a perennial contender, despite wide variations in talent over the years. That is the stuff of dynasties.

What we have here, rather, is the stuff of wide variations in play, where one week the team makes an improbable comeback against a good team (Atlanta), and the next it gets shut out and thoroughly embarrassed. There is no team identity here.
Jamie collins...chandler jones...

Back
Top Bottom