Pouncey says the team got the message | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pouncey says the team got the message

It will not matter if 1st and 2nd down are runs up the middle. 3rd and long Cutler throw off his back foot.

When will our team ever show up and physically beat another team. I mean out hit and out physical another team from start to finish?!

We did it to Buffalo twice last season. We did it to the Jets in the second half of that second game against them. We did it to the Titans.

The union would never go for that eggman...

Exactly.....in the last CBA the owners let them get away with the minimal practices in pads and other stuff that has led to the lax attitudes and made lazy players lazier. I vividly remember the quote by Bill Polian right after the terms of the last agreement were made public......he said: "The players got just about everything they wanted....except for being able to have someone else play the game for them". LOL

Most of these guys have been playing football since they were little kids. You don't just forget the details. You get lazy.

So they didn't get the message last years when Turner and Thomas were cut....wow. Stupid.

Lost in this thread is the Landry quote about staying a Dolphin.

Landry's head is on getting paid period, I personally believe he could give a **** where the money comes from Dolphins or any other team.

Lost on Landry, it’s better to have the best season on a contract year. Not the worst, while be investigated for domestic violence. Not knowing the plays that are being called, while trying to make a rap album. And on top of it wanting top 5 money. If I was a GM I’d have a hard time giving him a contract, not knowing if his head is in the game.

Lost on Landry, it’s better to have the best season on a contract year. Not the worst, while be investigated for domestic violence. Not knowing the plays that are being called, while trying to make a rap album. And on top of it wanting top 5 money. If I was a GM I’d have a hard time giving him a contract, not knowing if his head is in the game.

Looks like he won't get top 5 money and likely won't be a Dolphin.

Most of these guys have been playing football since they were little kids. You don't just forget the details. You get lazy.

And it's easier for that to happen when you'll be a multi-millionaire regardless of how well you play.

What it takes to counter that is a winning team culture in which there is leadership among the players that holds the roster accountable for a high level of play, in the name of a long-term mutual goal the team wants to reach (i.e., the Super Bowl). I'm not sure this team has that.

What it does have, seemingly, is a head coach who feels he needs to send a shockwave through the roster about this time each year, to have the same kind of effect of shaping people up, but that isn't anywhere near the optimal way for a team to function in the NFL.

Bill Belichick rarely if ever has to send such shockwaves through his roster, because there is a nucleus of leadership among the players that holds the roster accountable. In fact when you simply come to New England as a player, it's understood that you'll be giving 110% at all times. The winning culture there holds players accountable, and there is no such laziness as alluded to in the post I quoted above.

This is why New England is a perennial contender, despite wide variations in talent over the years. That is the stuff of dynasties.

What we have here, rather, is the stuff of wide variations in play, where one week the team makes an improbable comeback against a good team (Atlanta), and the next it gets shut out and thoroughly embarrassed. There is no team identity here.

Last edited:
And it's easier for that to happen when you'll be a multi-millionaire regardless of how well you play.

What it takes to counter that is a winning team culture in which there is leadership among the players that holds the roster accountable for a high level of play, in the name of a long-term mutual goal the team wants to reach (i.e., the Super Bowl). I'm not sure this team has that.

What it does have, seemingly, is a head coach who feels he needs to send a shockwave through the roster about this time each year, to have the same kind of effect of shaping people up, but that isn't anywhere near the optimal way for a team to function in the NFL.
How many chances do you give a player before enough is enough? Maxwell and Ajayi were disciplined last season, both are gone, obviously for the same misconduct. You can't create that culture if the players that are supposed to be leaders are defying the culture.

Absolutely right, well said......

How many chances do you give a player before enough is enough? Maxwell and Ajayi were disciplined last season, both are gone, obviously for the same misconduct. You can't create that culture if the players that are supposed to be leaders are defying the culture.

I'm not saying cutting and trading them was a mistake. I'm saying at some point some team leaders are going to have to step up and hold such players accountable to a performance consistent with a winning team culture, rather than making it so that the head coach has to function in that manner year after year.

The optimal way for a team to function in the NFL is for the players to do that job, week in and week out in the locker room, not the head coach.

The players need to jolt each other into place day in and day out, rather than making it so that the head coach has to conduct some massive jolt early in each season.

Back
Top Bottom