Ramses Barden | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ramses Barden

I've attended Giants camp in Albany for a few days almost every season for the past decade, although I missed in 2012.

Barden does the work. His attitude is not a question. He puts more energy into the drills than virtually any receiver. The assistant coaches praise him and work with him.

But once the groups join and they begin the scrimmage, he seldom makes a play. Once in a while an intermediate slant opens up perfectly for him and he looks like a giant out there. Otherwise he generally disappears, until the next day's drills.

The idea is to significantly improve our mix. Too many things Barden can't do. I prefer Matthews' skill set above his.

Let's see..... Who has more upside?

A tall, slow 4.68 guy that is in the exact mold of Pat Turner and that never gets open (Barden)? Or a shorter, quick go up and get it type of guy that can get open in the seam (Matthews)?? :ponder:

Am I missing the argument lol

I think you guys are missing the boat on this. The one thing nobody has mentioned is OPPORTUNITY....you can say he never did anything, or is too slow but he has not gotten the chance to shine as a #1 or 2..... The best he ever got with the giants is as a 4 or 5 option. He has been behind 2 pro bowl wr and a good te and a rb the usually gets 50 rec. Not saying we should throw 100 million at him, but playing with a winner could rub off for a minimum investment.

As far as Mathews, not that he might develop into something, but a 7 rounder lasts that long for a reason and when Colston got his chance he produced because they needed a wr to step up......Matthews didnt step up and we needed help from day 1

It appears a number of members of this board have been stricken with Hogan-Moore Syndrome, which causes them to overrate late-round and undrafted receivers based on a few minor accomplishments. I would like to sincerely apologize in advance for all of you getting your hopes up that Matthews will ever be an integral part of the Dolphins' offense, and the disappointment that is sure to ensue. Looking forward to July when we're doing the same thing with Undrafted Receiver To Be Named.

It appears a number of members of this board have been stricken with Hogan-Moore Syndrome, which causes them to overrate late-round and undrafted receivers based on a few minor accomplishments. I would like to sincerely apologize in advance for all of you getting your hopes up that Matthews will ever be an integral part of the Dolphins' offense, and the disappointment that is sure to ensue. Looking forward to July when we're doing the same thing with Undrafted Receiver To Be Named.

For what reason are you so against Rishard Matthews?

No, Matthews has actually produced during games, not practice.

He also has ability to play in the league, and has proven it a few times this year during the past few weeks.

Matthews was hardly an unknown quantity. I remember him giving Boise State fits in the second half two years ago, the game Boise State lost after leading Nevada big in the first half. It unfairly knocked them out of a BCS game. I'm a huge Boise State fan and laugh like heck when they dismantle teams like Oregon 2009 and Georgia 2011. I was desperate for Boise State to get a crack at a big name opponent in the 2010 bowl season. Matthews played a big role in denying that opportunity so that contributes to my impression of him, not merely preseason or late season 2012.

Besides, the issue here is not Matthews against a premier prospect or valued free agent. It's Matthews versus Ramses Barden.

For what reason are you so against Rishard Matthews?

It's not that I'm against him. But when people are acting like he's a future starter, while at the same time being wholeheartedly against bringing in a 6-foot-6, former third-rounder who is just 27 years old, they need to be taken down a notch. Odds are Matthews never amounts to much in the NFL and anyone thinking he has "solid No. 2" upside is dreaming.

Matthews was hardly an unknown quantity. I remember him giving Boise State fits in the second half two years ago, the game Boise State lost after leading Nevada big in the first half. It unfairly knocked them out of a BCS game. I'm a huge Boise State fan and laugh like heck when they dismantle teams like Oregon 2009 and Georgia 2011. I was desperate for Boise State to get a crack at a big name opponent in the 2010 bowl season. Matthews played a big role in denying that opportunity so that contributes to my impression of him, not merely preseason or late season 2012.

Besides, the issue here is not Matthews against a premier prospect or valued free agent. It's Matthews versus Ramses Barden.

B-b-b-ut he was drafted in the seventh round and Ramses Barden had a good game against the Carolina Panthers!

B-b-b-ut he was drafted in the seventh round and Ramses Barden had a good game against the Carolina Panthers!

I never said Barden would start for us. But when every NFL team is filling up their 90-man rosters with long-shots and no-chances to take to camp, acting like having Barden in the mix is a waste of time is ridiculous. Especially when people are overrating Matthews because he caught a ball and took a hit once.

I never said Barden would start for us. But when every NFL team is filling up their 90-man rosters with long-shots and no-chances to take to camp, acting like having Barden in the mix is a waste of time is ridiculous. Especially when people are overrating Matthews because he caught a ball and took a hit once.

No, you are overrating Ramses Barden because he had one good game against one of the worst defenses in NFL history.

No, you are overrating Ramses Barden because he had one good game against one of the worst defenses in NFL history.

I'm not overrating him. I'm saying he was a quality draft prospect and is worth bringing to camp as one of 10-12 receivers.

Also, Carolina ranked 10th in yards allowed and 18th in points allowed in 2012. Please explain to be how a defense NOT in the bottom third of the league in a given season is one of the worst in NFL HISTORY. How can we have an intelligent football discussion if you just ignore facts and make things up?

I'm not overrating him. I'm saying he was a quality draft prospect and is worth bringing to camp as one of 10-12 receivers.

Yes, you are overrating him. Let's bring back Roberto Wallace while we're at it. :up:

Back
Top Bottom