Replacing Jay Ajayi | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Replacing Jay Ajayi

they said and gase even said all offseason how much ajayi was putting in the work to be a complete and 3 down back...how many strides he had made in the passing game etc.

if this stuff wasn't being tossed out prior to the trade and if said sources weren't talking about how Miami was considering making a change with ajayi then I would discard the sources...
This is exactly right...

If all of these issues were so evident and really were impacting the team in such a negative manner then we would have heard about it on a much more consistent basis...

Ever since being benched week 1 last season, it has all been gumdrops and lollipops when Ajayi was being discussed...

Now that we dealt him for peanuts, all of the "after the fact" rational is coming out..

Seen it many times before throughout the years of cheering this squad on, and usually its BS...

lol, says the guy that just reeled off a bunch of stats for the basis of his post.
Yes precisely...

I couldn't care less about how their career stats line up...

Ajayi is / was a far superior player and you would have to be blind not to think so...

So if you are going to bore me with your vanilla / elementary statistical breakdown...

At least utilize proper statistics...

Pretty simple actually guy, well uh, other guy....

what good is a pro bowl RB if you have a high school OL?

Let's rebuild the line first, then get a solid rb, follow the cowboys formula.

I do think of all the scenarios as far as our inept offense, the one where jay ajayi being so one dimensional combined with our poor run blocking line was the culprit for the ineptitude..

a one dimensional player can have a negative impact on the scheme, especially if they are getting the majority of reps..a linebacker on Ajayi is not a mismatch in the passing game.

its starts with route running to create space.. Jay was not good at it...stiff in the upper body, upright style, not conducive to gaining separation against NFL caliber players...in college your not going against the same athletes in his conference, so I'm sure the scheme and the caliber of athlete he was going against made catches easier...at this level, you have to take your route running seriously out of the backfield..staying low in your route and using deeks, excellent footwork and sharp cuts to separate....no..jay was not doing that.

he was averaging close to 2 catches a game for like 12 yards game over his career...

not good enough for a bellcow back...screams one dimensional..

I will say this, I do think Williams is very good at catching the football out of the backfield, he has very smooth natural hands for a running back and I think you will see a series improvement in that area from that position..

Just the threat that both backs Williams and Drake can make the offense more dangerous..even if you lose a bit on pure running ability..

Last edited:
Last year Ajayi was near the top of yards after contact. He had 185 DYAR which ranked him 7th.
This year he is ranked 31st out of 32 players ranked with -49 DYAR.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

The dude was dancing way to much this year and losing yards when he should have been gaining a few.

Last year Ajayi was near the top of yards after contact. He had 185 DYAR which ranked him 7th.

The dude was dancing way to much this year and losing yards when he should have been gaining a few.

That TD run he wasn’t dancing at all. Early return looks bad and it’s only been one half of play. Gase is horrible. Ajayi was one of the faces of the franchise. Total BS.

Bumping this thread as I feel it is extremely relevant after the injuries to Perry and Williams.

Yards after contact wasn't a new thing for Ajayi. He was known for that in college. If he's down this year it's likely a short term trend and won't hold up.

A couple of years ago a poster on one of the major draft forums did a study on which characteristics from college scouting reports aligned with NFL success at each position. His finding was that at running back it was most clear cut of any position, and the two vital needs are:

* Quickness
* Yards After Contact

Ajayi had both of those. That poster identified Ajayi as the back in that class who fit the requirements. And it played out that way, despite the lower round draft status.

I believe in angles and trends like that, as opposed to subjectivity.

Last season at this time I thought we had the two toughest guys to tackle of any offense, and that it carried over to other players. I remember posting that. Ajayi and Landry had such relentless attitude and refusal to go down on normal tackling attempts that one opponent after another was stunned. Only the divisional opponents knew what they were in for but sometimes even then it didn't matter...a la Buffalo. I hoped we would carry that arrogant tackle breaking proficiency for years.

Now we gave it away and have a couple of little guys who run around. That never impresses me. I remember as soon as I joined this site I mentioned that the two fraud positions in terms of offseason hype are halfbacks and outside linebackers. You always have scatbacks who catch swing passes in shorts and cause the coach to project one long cheap gain after another, and outside linebackers who likewise spend more energy in those workouts and get around the tackle easily toward the quarterback. More often than not it equates to nothing.

Instead of the head coach not attending defensive meetings I don't think he should be allowed to attend any offseason workout in which flirty little swing passes are featured. Plenty of nothing, unless you've got a special player like McCaffrey.

Sorry if someone already commented on this.

After THill went down all of the commentators were speculating about who, what, and where as for as the Phin offense is concerned. The Answer, they picked up J Cutler. If I am a D coordinator in the AFC east, what am I thinking? Stack the box, play man, force Cutler to beat us. When NFC teams plan for the Phins, let's say, umm Carolina, what brilliant D scheme did they come up with, oh yeah stack the line, make J Cutler beat Carolina with passing. (Oh by the way, I now hate the song "Sweet Caroline" had to listen to that all the way home). Anyway, with or without Ajayi, if you take Thill out of the equation the plan would be the same, stack the line, play man, and force the QB to beat you. In reality this team was not built to say to the opposition, "come on, stack the line, we will still run over you", had this been the case, JAjayi would still be here and the Phins would have had a better record at this time. It would be like the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, without the Plank Constant, it just will not work.

Now it is obvious from the reading all of the "insiders", that JAjayi, could not deal with these setbacks, he appears to be very "emotionally volatile", which is opposed to being "passionate", no doubt he wanted Moore, but he could not see past the reality, that, unless Thill came back, or the Phins picked up TBrady, no matter who was back there, it would not work. I really don't like the way he was let go, but we don't know all of the facts and never will. Replacing him now, by picking someone else up, at this point, would be an exercise in futility. It is my observation that in human endeavors, we are not defined by being a winner so much, but how we deal with setbacks, and negative circumstances, young Jay still has to learn this. I really thought he had a bright future with the Phins, or rather hoped, as far as consistent production, you would have to know what the game plan was for each game. If the plan was the same, for every game last year, then I guess there is a point to be made, but even this is very subjective. We would have to see if, at the point of low production, the defense was stacking the line to stop the run, and force THill to beat them, so you have to factor that in also. So the whole production argument needs more "filling" out of data to be an accurate assessment. He had 1272 rushing yards last year, which according to the internet, put him in the top 10 by the end of the year, not bad, in fact in my business, this get you a writeup in Forbes and Bloomberg. So make no mistake about it, the kid has talent, also according to the internet, if we extrapolate his average right now into 16 games, remembering he is not the #1 back, he would have had 1000 yards at the end of the season. Not bad for a non featured back.

Now, I remember a guy years ago, named Csonka, a pretty good back as I recall, ended up with the Giants, and did not do to well there, why? Bad coaching, Oline etc. Came back to Miami and did quite well. So there is more to just "metrics" as the corporate dweeb lingo goes.

Anyway, being a fan I am always hopeful that next year will be better, I don't think bringing in another back will help until the QB situation is better, this year was a crucial setback, in more ways than one, so all I can say is Fins UP

The Ever Hopeful Yet Tempered With Cynicism VIPER

PS I did and still do, have my official New Era winter knitted made in China, NFL metal tag, hat on.

Last edited:
Hey, this thread's about Trent Richardson, man.

Make the call, Mike.

We end up with Kenyan Drake saints end up with Alvin kamara

Saints have great blocking, Jaguars have great blocking and Fournette is still only average, Dallas not missing a beat with Morris.

Kamara is special. He’s more elusive than Mccafrey even.

He outflanks guys on repeat

Kenyan Drake has 2 lost fumbles in like the last 30 carries

Kamara is special. He’s more elusive than Mccafrey even.

He outflanks guys on repeat

Thats not saying much McCafrey hasn't been elusive with the ball at all, which is weird because he has great cuts when running routes.

Back
Top Bottom