Robertson, Vilma two big reasons why Jets’ switch to 3-4 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Robertson, Vilma two big reasons why Jets’ switch to 3-4

BTW Nyjunc, I disagree with meaningless since everyone always brings up stats about how teams rank in the w/l column in the division. :wink:

FinfanInBuffalo said:
What does that have to do with anything? You still were talking about the wrong game and you were wrong about the week 16 game being meaningless.

You are one of the people who most often criticizes the Fins for missing the playoffs in recent seasons. The Jets have merely been more fortunate recently. Take away their playoff appearances at 10-6 and 9-7 and you don't have much left.

You are complaining about 1 game in OCTOBER. Get real, we can play the what if game too for alot of years. I don't know which was the earlier game- the Miami-Buf game or the Indy-Den game so I don't know if they were officially done but I remember the game being meaningless maybe b/c Indy didn't play their starters most of the game b/c they had things locked up.

The bottom line is we have 2 PO appearances since 2002 and you have none. Congrats on the "winning season" w/ missing the playoffs- we have 2 of those since '97. If I say we were clsoe that's ok? that's better than you making the playoffs those 2 years?

nyjunc said:
The bottom line is we have 2 PO appearances since 2002 and you have none. Congrats on the "winning season" w/ missing the playoffs- we have 2 of those since '97. If I say we were clsoe that's ok? that's better than you making the playoffs those 2 years?

Does that make up for your 40 years of sucking? Does it make up for sucking (again) last season? Will it make up for sucking again this season?

You want to focus on recent seasons? How about just focusing on last season then? All the rest are ancient history. We're better. The Jets suck.

nyjunc said:
You are complaining about 1 game in OCTOBER. Get real, we can play the what if game too for alot of years.

You get touchy when you are proven wrong.....

You missed the entire point I was making about that game anyway. My point was that the coach did everything he could and some fans still wanted to put the blame on him rather than on the kicker where it belonged.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Does that make up for your 40 years of sucking? Does it make up for sucking (again) last season? Will it make up for sucking again this season?

You want to focus on recent seasons? How about just focusing on last season then? All the rest are ancient history. We're better. The Jets suck.

it's ancient history when we were bad every year. we have been at worst playoff contenders(if not more) in 7 of the last 9 seasons. you guys haven't even made the playoffs in 5 years, get relevant would you? I know you guys think you are going to be great this year but you haven't even been in a playoff race in 3 years so let's see what happens when this team has some pressure put on it.

You get touchy when you are proven wrong.....

Whose to think someone would be complaining about an october game as to why they missed the playoffs?

You missed the entire point I was making about that game anyway. My point was that the coach did everything he could and some fans still wanted to put the blame on him rather than on the kicker where it belonged.

Ok, I didn't see that particular game so I don't know all the details but I agree. As a Jet fan most hated Herm and every loss we had they'd blame him then every win we had they'd credit the players, the DC , anyone but Herm.

nyjunc said:
it's ancient history when we were bad every year. we have been at worst playoff contenders(if not more) in 7 of the last 9 seasons. you guys haven't even made the playoffs in 5 years, get relevant would you?

4-12 relevant enough for you? How about 2 out of the last 3 years below .500? You want to sta recent, but not too recent......

nyjunc said:
Whose to think someone would be complaining about an october game as to why they missed the playoffs?

Every one of the 16 games counts the same. Where you lose is not relevant. This just happened to be one that the Fins had won, against the eventual SB champs. The point is that two of the non playoff years you like to talk about, the Fins were a good team. Equating the 2003 Fins and 2003 Jets because they both missed the playoffs is ridiculous.

nyjunc said:
Ok, I didn't see that particular game so I don't know all the details but I agree. As a Jet fan most hated Herm and every loss we had they'd blame him then every win we had they'd credit the players, the DC , anyone but Herm.

Sounds like fin fans and Wanny

4-12 relevant enough for you? How about 2 out of the last 3 years below .500? You want to sta recent, but not too recent......

we were injury ravaged last year and in '03 we lost our QB for half the year. In btw we were a kick away from the AFC title game and 3 of the last 5 years we've been in the playoffs and 7 of 9 years we have been at .500 or above.

Every one of the 16 games counts the same. Where you lose is not relevant. This just happened to be one that the Fins had won, against the eventual SB champs. The point is that two of the non playoff years you like to talk about, the Fins were a good team. Equating the 2003 Fins and 2003 Jets because they both missed the playoffs is ridiculous.

Sure every game is relevant but games are bigger in december. if you lost in Week 17 like that then I'd agree but everyteam misses the playoffs by a game can go back to a loss early in the year. it's silly to do that though b/c you have 2+ mons to make up for it wheras in Week 17 you it could be do or die.

Sounds like fin fans and Wanny

yeah fans always need a scapegoat, I remember all the Saban bashing when you were 3-7 but after the great finish he is now a God down there.

it's ancient history when we were bad every year. we have been at worst playoff contenders(if not more) in 7 of the last 9 seasons.

If having an 8-8 record or better makes you a playoff contender, then the Dolphins have been “At worst playoff contenders (if not more) in” 32 out of the last 35 seasons.

The Jets made the playoffs in 2001 at 10-6, and in 2002 at 9-7 while the Dolphins missed the playoffs in 2002 and 2003 with the same 10-6 and 9-7 records. You can say the dolphins have missed the playoffs the last four seasons and the Jets made it twice in the last four seasons, but that could have easily gone the other way.

We had one bad season when Ricky quit, but the other years our records were good. Missing the playoffs was just plain bad luck. Here is a fun fact, out of the four times that the Jets have made the playoffs in the last 10 years, only once did they have a record better than 10-6. 10-6 was the record we had when we missed the playoffs in 2003.

If having an 8-8 record or better makes you a playoff contender, then the Dolphins have been “At worst playoff contenders (if not more) in†32 out of the last 35 seasons.

By your standard we have been 7 of 9 years, realistically even though we msised by a game in '99 we were not since we were eliminated going into the last week but you told me you were a playoff contender last year and in '03 even though you were out by Week 17.

The Jets made the playoffs in 2001 at 10-6, and in 2002 at 9-7 while the Dolphins missed the playoffs in 2002 and 2003 with the same 10-6 and 9-7 records. You can say the dolphins have missed the playoffs the last four seasons and the Jets made it twice in the last four seasons, but that could have easily gone the other way.

we won the games we had to while you did not. The bottom line is we made it, you didn't.

We had one bad season when Ricky quit, but the other years our records were good. Missing the playoffs was just plain bad luck.

bad luck blowing the the last 2 games of '02? bad luck getting shut at NE and losing at home to Philly in '03? or bad luck starting 3-7 and vitually being eliminated before you ever had a chance in '05?

Here is a fun fact, out of the four times that the Jets have made the playoffs in the last 10 years, only once did they have a record better than 10-6. 10-6 was the record we had when we missed the playoffs in 2003.

Here is an even more fun fact, Miami has not made the playoffs since the 2001 season and has not won a playoff game since the 2000 season. The Jets have been 3 times since '01 and have 2 playoff wins.

By your standard we have been 7 of 9 years, realistically even though we msised by a game in '99 we were not since we were eliminated going into the last week but you told me you were a playoff contender last year and in '03 even though you were out by Week 17.

It was not my standard it was yours. I was just quoting what you said.

You must have me confused with someone else. I never said we were a playoff contender in 2005, even though I think we were towards the end of the season. I would say that we were a contender in 2003 though. We were in the playoff race up until the last game of the season. We won 10 games that year, and if it was not for the Colts losing on purpose to the Broncos in week 17, so they could cream the Broncos in the playoffs, we would have made it. Despite having the same 10-6 record as the Phins, the Broncos just beat us out by having a better division record. We were 4-2 and they were 5-1. If the Colts play the game, it would not have even mattered what the Broncos division record was.

we won the games we had to while you did not. The bottom line is we made it, you didn't.

In 2004 The Jets lost the last two games of the season just like the Phins in 02. The Jets were lucky that the other teams competing for a wild card spot were weak teams. In 2002 the Jets did play well the last game of the season against the Packers to win the division, but if the AFC teams were stronger like they were in 03 when the phins missed the playoffs, the Jets would not have made it.

bad luck blowing the the last 2 games of '02? bad luck getting shut at NE and losing at home to Philly in '03? or bad luck starting 3-7 and vitually being eliminated before you ever had a chance in '05?

No, it was bad luck that we won 10 games and did not make the playoffs. It was bad luck that the other team competing for a wild card spot that year had a record of 12-4. (not 9-7 like in 2004 when the Jets made it.) It was bad luck that Fiedler broke his thumb. It was bad luck that we had Ray Lucas as our backup. It was bad luck that a 75 year old kicker makes a 50+ yard field goal to beat us at the end of the game. It was bad luck to have Dave as our head coach, which cost us the game at NE.

Here is an even more fun fact, Miami has not made the playoffs since the 2001 season and has not won a playoff game since the 2000 season. The Jets have been 3 times since '01 and have 2 playoff wins.

Congrats on making the playoffs twice in 4 years. You guys did play well in the 2004 playoffs. It will be fun to see who wins more playoff games in the next few years.

You must have me confused with someone else. I never said we were a playoff contender in 2005, even though I think we were towards the end of the season. I would say that we were a contender in 2003 though. We were in the playoff race up until the last game of the season.

you were eliminated in Week 16 so you weren't in the race until the end.

In 2004 The Jets lost the last two games of the season just like the Phins in 02. The Jets were lucky that the other teams competing for a wild card spot were weak teams.

The jets put themselevs in position where they didn't have to win in Week 17, the dolphins didn't do that. In '03 there were alot of teams w/ good records but alot w/ bad while in '04 it was mroe balanced. in '03 you were the only team w/ a winning record not to make the playoffs while in '04 3 teams w/ winning records missed the playoffs. '04 was more competitive and we did what we had to do to hold off other teams.

In 2002 the Jets did play well the last game of the season against the Packers to win the division, but if the AFC teams were stronger like they were in 03 when the phins missed the playoffs, the Jets would not have made it.

Don't let records fool you, the 2002 Jets were alot better than the 2003 dolphins. I think the '02 dolphins were better than the '03 dolphins but both of our teams had serious injury problems that cost us each at least 2-3 games. Also in '02 just like '04 the AFC was better top to bottom making it more difficult to make the playoffs, 4 teams over .500 missed the playoffs in '02 and the last place team in our div was at .500.

No, it was bad luck that we won 10 games and did not make the playoffs. It was bad luck that the other team competing for a wild card spot that year had a record of 12-4. (not 9-7 like in 2004 when the Jets made it.) It was bad luck that Fiedler broke his thumb. It was bad luck that we had Ray Lucas as our backup. It was bad luck that a 75 year old kicker makes a 50+ yard field goal to beat us at the end of the game. It was bad luck to have Dave as our head coach, which cost us the game at NE.

But good luckl you had 4 games against Buf and NYJ when we had 12 wins tw us, right? you won 10 but the last game was meaningless, we all know how that team performed under pressure and they barely beat us that day(a blown call kept the game out of OT).

now Fielder is improtant? mosyt dolphin fans say fielder held you back.

we went 6-3 w/ ray Lucas at QB in 1999.

Congrats on making the playoffs twice in 4 years. You guys did play well in the 2004 playoffs. It will be fun to see who wins more playoff games in the next few years.

We'll be back and I think we'll both be good and battling for a few years. I think you'll have the upper hand this year but next year and beyond it will be evry tight again as it has been most of the lst decade.

The jets put themselevs in position where they didn't have to win in Week 17, the dolphins didn't do that. In '03 there were alot of teams w/ good records but alot w/ bad while in '04 it was mroe balanced. in '03 you were the only team w/ a winning record not to make the playoffs while in '04 3 teams w/ winning records missed the playoffs. '04 was more competitive and we did what we had to do to hold off other teams.

The Jets put themselves in position by losing the last two games of the season, and by winning a total of 10 games? The truth is the Texans bailed you guys out when they beat the Jags in week 16. If the Jags beat the Texans like they should have, the Jets don’t make the playoffs.

In 04 there were more mediocre teams competing for the wild card than in 03. In 04 the second place teams in the AFC East, North, South and West were: 10-6 , 9-7 , 9-7, 10-6. Compared to 03 they were 10-6 , 8-8 , 12-4, 10-6. There are two wild card spots up for grabs. If the second place teams in 04 had the records they did in 03, the Jets don’t make the playoffs. The Jets were fortunate that the teams in 04 were mediocre.

Don't let records fool you, the 2002 Jets were alot better than the 2003 dolphins. I think the '02 dolphins were better than the '03 dolphins but both of our teams had serious injury problems that cost us each at least 2-3 games. Also in '02 just like '04 the AFC was better top to bottom making it more difficult to make the playoffs, 4 teams over .500 missed the playoffs in '02 and the last place team in our div was at .500.

I would say that the teams in 02 were more average than anything. Oakland clinched a first round bye, and home field advantage with a record of 11-5.

you won 10 but the last game was meaningless, we all know how that team performed under pressure and they barely beat us that day(a blown call kept the game out of OT).

The last game was not meaningless. If the Colts don’t give the game to the Broncos we make the playoffs.

Fielder was the best Qb we had at the time, and gave us our best chance to win games. Lucas played horrible in Miami and was probably the worst QB we have had in years.

We'll be back and I think we'll both be good and battling for a few years. I think you'll have the upper hand this year but next year and beyond it will be evry tight again as it has been most of the lst decade.

I think it will be a couple of years before the Jets will be competing for a division title, but I think the Jets are on the right track.

nyjunc said:
you were eliminated in Week 16 so you weren't in the race until the end.

We went over this. We were still in it when we played in week 16. We were eliminated Sunday night.

nyjunc said:
'04 was more competitive and we did what we had to do to hold off other teams.

What? losing 3 out of you last 4? The truth is that you needed help and got it.

nyjunc said:
Don't let records fool you, the 2002 Jets were alot better than the 2003 dolphins. I think the '02 dolphins were better than the '03 dolphins but both of our teams had serious injury problems that cost us each at least 2-3 games.

The Fins were the best team in the AFC until they lost their QB and both starting WRs in the Denver game.

nyjunc said:
But good luckl you had 4 games against Buf and NYJ when we had 12 wins tw us, right? you won 10 but the last game was meaningless, we all know how that team performed under pressure and they barely beat us that day(a blown call kept the game out of OT).

A game against the Jets is never meaningless.

nyjunc said:

Fiedler was a decent QB. The problem was that Lucas was so bad. He gave away two games to the Bills. In the cruel fate of scheduling, Buffalo got to face Lucas twice. Those division loses cost us the tie breaker.

nyjunc said:

Irrelevant. Different offense. Different teams. Different situation.

nyjunc said:

We shall see.

The Jets put themselves in position by losing the last two games of the season, and by winning a total of 10 games? The truth is the Texans bailed you guys out when they beat the Jags in week 16. If the Jags beat the Texans like they should have, the Jets don’t make the playoffs.

No we put ourselves in position by being 10-4, we didn't need to win the last 2 weeks and even if we won both we still would have been the 5 seed and still would have been playing at SD to open the playoffs and still would have gone to Pitt in the div rd.

In 04 there were more mediocre teams competing for the wild card than in 03. In 04 the second place teams in the AFC East, North, South and West were: 10-6 , 9-7 , 9-7, 10-6. Compared to 03 they were 10-6 , 8-8 , 12-4, 10-6.

'03's better records had more to do w/ there being more bad teams. There weren't as many bad tams to help beef upr ecords. There were 8 teams in the AFC in '03 w/ 6 or fewere wins compared to just 4 in 2004 and again 3 teams above .500 missed the playoffs in '04 compared to just 1 in '03. The AFC was better in 2004.

There are two wild card spots up for grabs. If the second place teams in 04 had the records they did in 03, the Jets don’t make the playoffs. The Jets were fortunate that the teams in 04 were mediocre.

Put the 2004 Jets in the 2003 season and we win 11-12 games.

I would say that the teams in 02 were more average than anything. Oakland clinched a first round bye, and home field advantage with a record of 11-5.

It was incredibly competitive top to bottom, 2 divisisons didn't have a team w/ a losing record and overall the AFC had 12 teams at .500 or above and only 3 teams w/ 6 or fewer wins. When it's that competitive it makes it harder to win 12, 13, 14 games.

The last game was not meaningless. If the Colts don’t give the game to the Broncos we make the playoffs.

The Bronco-Colt game was the week before therefor making your game against us compltely meaningless as far as making the playoffs.

We went over this. We were still in it when we played in week 16. We were eliminated Sunday night.

That Bronco-Colt game was week 16, right? You were eliminated in Week 16.

What? losing 3 out of you last 4? The truth is that you needed help and got it.

We didn't need help, we won the games we needed to win and by the way we played the OT at SL after we knew we clinched and I doubt we kick a 53 yd FG to win if we think we needed to win or tie that game. We would have punted and pinned SL deep instead of giving them the ball at midfield.

The Fins were the best team in the AFC until they lost their QB and both starting WRs in the Denver game.

The phins were always the "best team in the ;ague" in septemeber and most of the 1st half of the season.

Irrelevant. Different offense. Different teams. Different situation.

We both had suppsoed big time RBs and suppsoed very good Ds. the situations were quite similar.

Back
Top Bottom