Ross donates $200 million to University of Michigan | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ross donates $200 million to University of Michigan

There's a huge difference in giving a handout to education, than doing a joint venture for entertainment. If you really think there are equivalent values there, then you have your values backwards.

There is no difference at all. They're both public goods. You may like to pretend as if Steve Ross would have some suited individual business partner with the stadium upgrade issue, but that's not true at all. The beneficiaries of the stadium upgrades number in the millions, and range from the poorest of poor to the richest of rich. It's a PUBLIC good.

Yes he did, and I wasn't talking about the OP - he's only made 19 posts ever. I was talking about the guy I quoted, who constantly bashes the owner.

I must be the idiot because I don't see how he said anything negative about charitable donations....

But it does show how I feel about one son versus the other son, and there's no use pretending it doesn't.

One son is education (University of Michigan) and the other is entertainment (football), then yea, its an easy choice. Lets face it, football is entertainment and does not provide a lot of value in society. Ive never seen a philanthropist - someone who wants to add lasting value to society - donating money to a football team.

His donation to education was philanthropy, his quest for a stadium upgrade is business, and they are not the same.

This seemingly hurts the Dolphins' chances in the legislature, so I'm all for it. With the similar dollar figure, and the timing between one rejection and apparent plans to try again, it's a remarkably convenient reference point for any member of the legislature who is on the fence or leaning opposed.

Politicians generally don't study the proposals in depth. Too much on their plate. They have a base opinion, and convenient reference points that bolster that opinion are most welcome. Ross provided an easily remembered dollar figure today.

Walrus summarized well. Likewise, I'm willing to gamble on the next owner getting it right. Patchwork was far greater danger than motion sickness.

There is no difference at all. They're both public goods. You may like to pretend as if Steve Ross would have some suited individual business partner with the stadium upgrade issue, but that's not true at all. The beneficiaries of the stadium upgrades number in the millions, and range from the poorest of poor to the richest of rich. It's a PUBLIC good.

Football is accessible by the public, but it doesn't add to society like education does imo. I love football but education is a million times more important to the public.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

This seemingly hurts the Dolphins' chances in the legislature, so I'm all for it. With the similar dollar figure, and the timing between one rejection and apparent plans to try again, it's a remarkably convenient reference point for any member of the legislature who is on the fence or leaning opposed.

You forgot that the slithery Will Weatherford is out next year when his term limit expires. He was the one man holding Ross' balls, and it was reported if it was brought to vote that there were enough votes to pass. So after Willy is gone, who's going to stop Ross?

One son is education (University of Michigan) and the other is entertainment (football), then yea, its an easy choice. Lets face it, football is entertainment and does not provide a lot of value in society. Ive never seen a philanthropist - someone who wants to add lasting value to society - donating money to a football team.

His donation to education was philanthropy, his quest for a stadium upgrade is business, and they are not the same.

You think the public benefit that Steven Ross asked the tax payers to pay for was purely entertainment based?

Really?

My goodness man. No. Just, no.

The benefit he was asking them to pay for was ECONOMIC based. Having the stadium improvements would be good for the LOCAL ECONOMY because it would help the stadium attract various big shows (such as the Super Bowl). These big shows would in turn bring in tourists, who tend buy things, eat at restaurants, stay in hotels, etc.

THAT is why he wanted the public to pay for part of the stadium. Because the millions of local people ranging from people on the street to small business owners to millionaire big business owners would all see some sort of economic benefit.

You think the public benefit that Steven Ross asked the tax payers to pay for was purely entertainment based?

Really?

My goodness man. No. Just, no.

The benefit he was asking them to pay for was ECONOMIC based. Having the stadium improvements would be good for the LOCAL ECONOMY because it would help the stadium attract various big shows (such as the Super Bowl). These big shows would in turn bring in tourists, who tend buy things, eat at restaurants, stay in hotels, etc.

THAT is why he wanted the public to pay for part of the stadium. Because the millions of local people ranging from people on the street to small business owners to millionaire big business owners would all see some sort of economic benefit.

buddy, entertainment IS economy

Politicians generally don't study the proposals in depth. Too much on their plate. They have a base opinion, and convenient reference points that bolster that opinion are most welcome. Ross provided an easily remembered dollar figure today.

Walrus summarized well. Likewise, I willing to gamble on the next owner getting it right. Patchwork was far greater danger than motion sickness.

That's the bottom line. The public funding option just got pushed off even further into the distant future today.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

buddy, entertainment IS economy

That's how your spinning it?

No.

That doesn't even fit what you've been saying.

You forgot that the slithery Will Weatherford is out next year when his term limit expires. He was the one man holding Ross' balls, and it was reported if it was brought to vote that there were enough votes to pass. So after Willy is gone, who's going to stop Ross?

It's seldom one guy. Too much acceptance of that around here. The party in power is not going to change. I'm confident the replacement will hold similar views.

Ross made a great gesture toward his university. I don't see how it helps the Dolphins' opportunity for funding, and it could hurt.

That doesn't even fit what you've been saying.

Entertainment is a function of the economy.

You are seriously trying to tell me that education and entertainment are the same? That spending $200 million on a stadium upgrade is of equal public importance as donating $200 million to education? Some of the football nuts here may think football and education are of equal value, but we go outside of these forums and I doubt anyone would choose football as an equal to education.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

It's seldom one guy.

Except this time it was. Will Weatherford. And its been widely reported so.

Entertainment is a function of the economy.

You are seriously trying to tell me that education and entertainment are the same? That spending $200 million on a stadium upgrade is of equal public importance as donating $200 million to education? Some of the football nuts here may think football and education are of equal value, but we go outside of these forums and I doubt anyone would choose football as an equal to education.

That is by far the WEAKEST spin I have seen in a while. You're equating a restaurant owner making $5000 in a week instead of the usual $2000 because the Super Bowl was in town, to "entertainment"...so that you can ridicule the difference between "education" and "entertainment".

Well that's just blorrphmastulous! Are you seriously trying to equate fizzlemetab with blorphmastulous???

You're equating a restaurant owner making $5000 in a week instead of the usual $2000 because the Super Bowl was in town, to "entertainment"...

No, thats what you are talking about.

I'll dumb it down for you, entertainment (NFL) is not the same public value as education (Universities). You seem to think there's some bizarre similarity between having 2 sons and treating them differently, and having a choice to give $200 million to education or a football team. Like there some kind of measuring stick on how you treat your children is how you should treat your money. Donating $200 million to a university is not the same as investing $200 million in a football stadium.

And to further my point that "entertainment" is not on the same level as "education", most of the voters voting against public funding in the referendum cited thee need for more public funding on education instead of football stadiums.

The benefit he was asking them to pay for was ECONOMIC based.

You realize that every single business can claim this but on a much smaller scale right?

Also, if your tying it to the amount of money generated then you can also say that DISNEY for example has the right then to ask for millions to create new park rides then because that does the same thing Ross' football team does and if anything I'd be willing to bet that Disney World does more for the Florida economy (of which the City of Orlando and Kissimmee would benefit from mostly).

I don't know, does anyone have the time to research if Disney asked for money to help build that new Fantasy land or did they pay for it themselves?

How about the Hard Rock or say even the Malls like Sawgrass Mills and Dolphin mall? I am not sure about any of those places concerning public or private ownership but I am pretty sure those places are privately owned and yet I cant remember them ever being in the news asking for public funds to upgrade anything, yet they draw millions of people a year and also bring in revenue.

I don't see why a privately owned stadium needs public funds. If he cant afford it, then go to a BANK and get a loan like any other business would have to. Then payback your loan and that's it.

....or why doesn't he ask the Feds for a grant if he's doing so much public 'good' and see how much they can give him?

That is by far the WEAKEST spin I have seen in a while. You're equating a restaurant owner making $5000 in a week instead of the usual $2000 because the Super Bowl was in town, to "entertainment"...so that you can ridicule the difference between "education" and "entertainment".

Well that's just blorrphmastulous! Are you seriously trying to equate fizzlemetab with blorphmastulous???

makes sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom