Ross donates $200 million to University of Michigan | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ross donates $200 million to University of Michigan

You realize that every single business can claim this but on a much smaller scale right?

Also, if your tying it to the amount of money generated then you can also say that DISNEY for example has the right then to ask for millions to create new park rides then because that does the same thing Ross' football team does and if anything I'd be willing to bet that Disney World does more for the Florida economy (of which the City of Orlando and Kissimmee would benefit from mostly).

I don't know, does anyone have the time to research if Disney asked for money to help build that new Fantasy land or did they pay for it themselves?

How about the Hard Rock or say even the Malls like Sawgrass Mills and Dolphin mall? I am not sure about any of those places concerning public or private ownership but I am pretty sure those places are privately owned and yet I cant remember them ever being in the news asking for public funds to upgrade anything, yet they draw millions of people a year and also bring in revenue.

I don't see why a privately owned stadium needs public funds. If he cant afford it, then go to a BANK and get a loan like any other business would have to. Then payback your loan and that's it.

....or why doesn't he ask the Feds for a grant if he's doing so much public 'good' and see how much they can give him?

i believe almost every other nfl team gets public funding for their stadiums.

No, thats what you are talking about.

I'll dumb it down for you, entertainment (NFL) is not the same public value as education (Universities). You seem to think there's some bizarre similarity between having 2 sons and treating them differently, and having a choice to give $200 million to education or a football team. Like there some kind of measuring stick on how you treat your children is how you should treat your money. Donating $200 million to a university is not the same as investing $200 million in a football stadium.

And to further my point that "entertainment" is not on the same level as "education", most of the voters voting against public funding in the referendum cited thee need for more public funding on education instead of football stadiums.

You're not dumbing anything down, you're flat out lying. You continue to label the public good aspect of the stadium upgrade issue purely about "entertainment" when it's clearly about boosting the local economy. Voters may decide they would rather spend the money investing in education than investing in things that will boost the economy, but that's not some easy, intuitive clear-cut choice. Education is ALSO aimed at improving economic conditions. Or didn't you know that? GASP.

You realize that every single business can claim this but on a much smaller scale right?

Also, if your tying it to the amount of money generated then you can also say that DISNEY for example has the right then to ask for millions to create new park rides then because that does the same thing Ross' football team does and if anything I'd be willing to bet that Disney World does more for the Florida economy (of which the City of Orlando and Kissimmee would benefit from mostly).

I don't know, does anyone have the time to research if Disney asked for money to help build that new Fantasy land or did they pay for it themselves?

How about the Hard Rock or say even the Malls like Sawgrass Mills and Dolphin mall? I am not sure about any of those places concerning public or private ownership but I am pretty sure those places are privately owned and yet I cant remember them ever being in the news asking for public funds to upgrade anything, yet they draw millions of people a year and also bring in revenue.

I don't see why a privately owned stadium needs public funds. If he cant afford it, then go to a BANK and get a loan like any other business would have to. Then payback your loan and that's it.

....or why doesn't he ask the Feds for a grant if he's doing so much public 'good' and see how much they can give him?

Actually in all your examples I'm sure government aid was indeed rendered in one form or another because of the benefits to the public good.

Slightly off topic, but yes, they received huge benefits back in the 60's and 70's. Disney actually created its own governing municipality. If you want to know more, go research Reedy Creek Improvement District.

not sure why there is even a debate. 100k went to biology or something, while the other 100k went to athletics. lol

I dont think you do actually. The size of an institution is irrelevant when considering its purpose. A charity is a charity, weather you help 10 people or 10,0000.

And its not a loophole, because even though he netted a $70M tax deduction, he still gave away $200M. You don't give away $200 million to save $70 million.

I'm not speaking of Ross and his tax braks I'm speaking of Michigan operating as a charity. Yeah I know how it works and a 501(3)c status. Never mind the argument is not coming a across. Good for Ross he gave $200 million to a Institution that has no problem surviving without it! Maybe they can use that $200 million to upgrade their stadium?

You're not dumbing anything down, you're flat out lying.

:sidelol:

Tell yourself whatever you want, but you aren't going to convince anyone that football trumps education in a society. Of course football has some economic benefit to society, but its not even close to the economic benefit of education. Get over yourself.

And yea, if you want to put up a referendum on what to build - a football stadium or a university - it is a clear cut choice. Do I need to tell you which would win too?

Listen, I'm not hashing out whether the public funding should have been green lighted or not. I don't have an opinion.

The exception I take is with the attempt to intentionally obfuscate the issue. Steve Ross was not asking for $200 million from the public because his stadium upgrades were going to "entertain" the local population. That's horse sh-t. He was asking $200 million from the public because the investment would have boosted the local economy. Worth it? Not worth it? I don't give two farts in a wind storm. Decide for yourself. But that's what the issue was about. It was about a venture which would improve the local economy, benefiting hundreds of thousands if not millions.

Incidentally, increased education is aimed at that as well.

:sidelol:

Tell yourself whatever you want, but you aren't going to convince anyone that football trumps education in a society. Of course football has some economic benefit to society, but its not even close to the economic benefit of education. Get over yourself.

And yea, if you want to put up a referendum on what to build - a football stadium or a university - it is a clear cut choice. Do I need to tell you which would win too?

It occurs to me you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Education spending comes from local property taxes. Spending $$ on a new stadium or stadium improvements boosts the local economy, which boosts the value of property, which goes to education.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

It occurs to me you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Took you long enough. :lol:

Education spending comes from local property taxes. Spending $$ on a new stadium or stadium improvements boosts the local economy, which boosts the value of property, which goes to education.

But....but...EDUCATION!!!

Education > econom-...entertainment.

SCHOOLS DAMNIT! It's all about the kids...

But....but...EDUCATION!!!

Education > econom-...entertainment.

SCHOOLS DAMNIT! It's all about the kids...

And not just any education, but education in Michigan, which definitely boosts Florida's economy a whole lot.

It all makes perfect sense if you hit yourself in the head a few times.

Back
Top Bottom