Running Back | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Running Back

Those stats -- or lack of stats -- on Miller in short yardage and goal line situations are one of the reasons I think he's somewhat overrated around here. We didn't test his full game.

In late 2011 with the Canes he took quite a bit of heat from fans for failures in short yardage situations. He'd drift sideways then virtually lay down, as if the design of the play was to sit on his butt, like a dog performing a trick. That didn't show up this season until once late in the year. You might remember he angled right then sat down. I was trying to gauge if a sit down would be considered preferable to a dance step, or a notch down. It's certainly lower, by definition, tighter to the water table.

I don't know what Miller's stats were in those scenarios with the Canes. Sometimes we were playing Bethune Cookman or Duke. Late 2011 he was avoiding singles when the Canes needed them, trying for something more.

Of course, the shoulder issues were flaring up at that point.

I might have posted in the wrong thread. Those short yardage stats I referred to were something I saw in the wee hours. Might have been in the Daniel Thomas thread. I forgive myself since it's hard to rationalize the existence of a Daniel Thomas thread.

Those stats -- or lack of stats -- on Miller in short yardage and goal line situations are one of the reasons I think he's somewhat overrated around here. We didn't test his full game.

In late 2011 with the Canes he took quite a bit of heat from fans for failures in short yardage situations. He'd drift sideways then virtually lay down, as if the design of the play was to sit on his butt, like a dog performing a trick. That didn't show up this season until once late in the year. You might remember he angled right then sat down. I was trying to gauge if a sit down would be considered preferable to a dance step, or a notch down. It's certainly lower, by definition, tighter to the water table.

I don't know what Miller's stats were in those scenarios with the Canes. Sometimes we were playing Bethune Cookman or Duke. Late 2011 he was avoiding singles when the Canes needed them, trying for something more.

Of course, the shoulder issues were flaring up at that point.

I was a big fan of the pick at the top of the 4th round and thought he'd have looked like a comfortable 2nd round pick especially mid or late 2nd round. However, even I have acknowledged all along this is not your short yardage or goal line guy. I do track those stats and he was 6 for 18 on goal to go. That's not bad by any means but for the college level it's not proof of anything, either. Daniel Thomas was probably about the same as that and he's been generally bad at it in the pros.

Jonas Gray is your guy for those situations, IMO. If he's worthy of activating on game day, that is.

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

I might have posted in the wrong thread. Those short yardage stats I referred to were something I saw in the wee hours. Might have been in the Daniel Thomas thread. I forgive myself since it's hard to rationalize the existence of a Daniel Thomas thread.

It was the Daniel Thomas thread.

And on cue, there's this note:

### Daniel Thomas’ mid-December knee injury required surgery, according to his representation – he should be fine by the spring – and the second-round pick has fallen behind Lamar Miller in the organization’s eyes. Disconcerting: His three fumbles were the most by any NFL back with fewer than 100 carries, and only four backs with as many attempts had a lower per-carry average than Thomas’ 3.6. Incidentally, Reggie Bush tied for the league lead among backs with five fumbles.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

Back
Top Bottom