Russ Lande(former scout) on the rookies | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Russ Lande(former scout) on the rookies

I just dont see Pat white being that skilled as a rookie to make that kind of impact. More likely he will play like a rookie and make some major mistakes. I personally if I was a defensive coordinator would much rather face Pat White than Chad Pennington. Hey if Im wrong them its better for the Phins. Also this crap about lining up White at receiver and him taking a reverse, do people think that defenses ignore any player that just turns around for a reverse. I just think Pat White was a helluva college football player much like Major Harris was.

The idea behind Pat White lining up where Ricky lines up in the Wildcat is not in any way hoping that the defense just forgets that he happens to be running for a reverse. My major qualm with Pat White running the Wildcat assumes he would be running it from Ronnie Brown's position, where I truly believe you must have genuine size and power in addition to running instincts, quickness, speed and decision making. From the Ricky position of the guy faking or taking the jet screen, you don't need to be as powerful. Ricky isn't even close to as powerful or as good at breaking tackles as Ronnie anymore and he did ok. Pat White can be a danger running the ball at that spot, and then if your defense gets caught sleeping, he can turn around and throw the ball back to the other side of the field.

The attraction to Pat White as not just a college player centers around five things:

1. Genuine NFL speed
2. Genuine NFL passer mechanics
3. Record holder for most rushing yards by a QB in NCAA history
4. Multiple year 65% completion thrower
5. Won five bowl games, and got MVP in four of them

Those are the basics. You could go many levels deeper and more detail-oriented than that, but I think those five things are still going to be primary reasons why he goes in the mid-2nd round. Those five things are what make him unique. Granted, unique does not always = NFL success. In fact, it usually doesn't.

My issues with him center around accuracy in the intermediate depths, and ability to read the defense after the snap.

You mentioned Nate Davis. One thing I would not question about him is his accuracy and arm throwing to the 18 to 30 yard depths of the field. Those throws are part of him. They are part of what he does. If there's one thing about Pat White that bothers me, it is that those throws don't feel like part of his game, to me.

Vick was 20 pounds heavier and all muscle. Well we have perfected crap shoot in the second round with qb's. The good teams over time take crap shoots much later on qb NE for example with Brady and Cassel.

Well now that you put it that way Pat White is doomed to fail. The 2nd round has not been kind to us in the QB position for sure. Of course Chadd Henne was a 2nd rounder so I guess we are in deep trouble! Chad P is the best we have had at the helm since Dan Marino and next in line behind them was Jay Fielder????? So maybe we should not draft QB at all except in the first round or pick them up as free agents. The Dolphins used to be what you are indicating the Pats are now and that does have to do with coaching and lack of turn over in that department. IMO When Don Shua left bad things started to happen and continued to happen. The best we had to show was Dave W and he won a few games but was not wanted. Tony S has done well do not get me wrong here gang but you really need to stay around for a few years with one team to make this thing work. Well on the up side these last 2 2nd round draft picks these last 2 years are Tony's picks so lets hope he sets a new trend for the phins!

Harrel, Detmer and Brennan all had alot of starts and high completion percentage.

Why is Brennan on your list? He's the #3 QB on the Redskins, but the #2 QB is 38 years old and could be cut any day now, and the #1 guy sucks. Brennan is in an offense that is favorable toward his skill set. It's not like you can say that he looked terrible in preseason, because he actually looked decent. Just seems like you're always raising the victory flag on a phantom Brennan argument despite the fact that he's actually showed a little promise and has a better chance than some other guys to end up in the starting lineup. The best thing you can say is that he sucked at the Senior Bowl when he tore his hip labrum on the first day of practice and misguidedly practiced and played the rest of the week despite the injury. He was also at the tail end of a flu at the Senior Bowl, that caused him to drop something like 15 pounds.

actually no proof that the pats saw anything in him as they passed on him three times in the second round

No proof?

04/23/2009 - Reuter's five predictions: Pat White will be selected in the top 50...Pat White's selection by New England makes a lot of sense. He's the perfect Wildcat formation quarterback and potentially strong and quick enough to be an effective slot receiver. However, former Patriot and current Bronco coach Josh McDaniels also worked out White this spring as a receiver. It will not be a surprise if the Broncos give up a late pick to move ahead of the Patriots' No. 47 pick to get the versatile White. - Chad Reuter, The SportsXchange, NFLDraftScout.com

04/21/2009 - West Virginia quarterback Pat White is on Minnesota's draft radar. A source told FOXSports.com that the Vikings conducted a private workout Tuesday with White. Minnesota has interest in White as a quarterback and wide receiver.

04/15/2009 - Perfect fit: Pat White, QB/WR, Patriots: Whether at pick No. 47 or 58, this former Mountaineer should become a Patriot in the draft's second round. They have six picks in the top 100, so the Patriots can take a chance on a Wildcat QB/receiver prospect. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFL Draft Scout

04/07/2009 - As the draft draws closer, the number of teams showing interest in West Virginia QB Pat White continues to grow. White recently was worked out by the Denver Broncos in quarterback-only drills, while the Cleveland Browns and New England Patriots put him through a workout of predominantly non-quarterback drills. The Philadelphia Eagles have scheduled a workout for White later this week, where he is expected to be put through quarterback and positional drills. White also has interviews scheduled with the Baltimore Ravens and New England Patriots, who seem to be doing extensive homework on White. White, who rushed for more than 4,000 yards as a four-year starter at West Virginia, is being projected as a possible wide receiver/kick returner in part because, at 6-foot and 197 pounds, he is smallish by NFL quarterback standards. Several teams view him as a quarterback first, but the likely second- to mid-round draft pick is so versatile, teams are exploring using him in a variety of ways. ? Steve Wyche, NFL.com

It's obvious that many teams viewed White as a second rounder....and with good reason.

No proof?

04/23/2009 - Reuter's five predictions: Pat White will be selected in the top 50...Pat White's selection by New England makes a lot of sense. He's the perfect Wildcat formation quarterback and potentially strong and quick enough to be an effective slot receiver. However, former Patriot and current Bronco coach Josh McDaniels also worked out White this spring as a receiver. It will not be a surprise if the Broncos give up a late pick to move ahead of the Patriots' No. 47 pick to get the versatile White. - Chad Reuter, The SportsXchange, NFLDraftScout.com

04/21/2009 - West Virginia quarterback Pat White is on Minnesota's draft radar. A source told FOXSports.com that the Vikings conducted a private workout Tuesday with White. Minnesota has interest in White as a quarterback and wide receiver.

04/15/2009 - Perfect fit: Pat White, QB/WR, Patriots: Whether at pick No. 47 or 58, this former Mountaineer should become a Patriot in the draft's second round. They have six picks in the top 100, so the Patriots can take a chance on a Wildcat QB/receiver prospect. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFL Draft Scout

04/07/2009 - As the draft draws closer, the number of teams showing interest in West Virginia QB Pat White continues to grow. White recently was worked out by the Denver Broncos in quarterback-only drills, while the Cleveland Browns and New England Patriots put him through a workout of predominantly non-quarterback drills. The Philadelphia Eagles have scheduled a workout for White later this week, where he is expected to be put through quarterback and positional drills. White also has interviews scheduled with the Baltimore Ravens and New England Patriots, who seem to be doing extensive homework on White. White, who rushed for more than 4,000 yards as a four-year starter at West Virginia, is being projected as a possible wide receiver/kick returner in part because, at 6-foot and 197 pounds, he is smallish by NFL quarterback standards. Several teams view him as a quarterback first, but the likely second- to mid-round draft pick is so versatile, teams are exploring using him in a variety of ways. ? Steve Wyche, NFL.com

It's obvious that many teams viewed White as a second rounder....and with good reason.

all draft rumors. If they wanted Pat White they had the luxury to waste one of thier seconds on him. Passing on White three times spoke volumes. You are confusing proof with speculation.

Why is Brennan on your list? He's the #3 QB on the Redskins, but the #2 QB is 38 years old and could be cut any day now, and the #1 guy sucks. Brennan is in an offense that is favorable toward his skill set. It's not like you can say that he looked terrible in preseason, because he actually looked decent. Just seems like you're always raising the victory flag on a phantom Brennan argument despite the fact that he's actually showed a little promise and has a better chance than some other guys to end up in the starting lineup. The best thing you can say is that he sucked at the Senior Bowl when he tore his hip labrum on the first day of practice and misguidedly practiced and played the rest of the week despite the injury. He was also at the tail end of a flu at the Senior Bowl, that caused him to drop something like 15 pounds.

I never have raised a victory flag on Brennan. I said Boomer was way wrong about him being a first round prospect. I have said before that I liked Brennan as a prospect better than John Beck. I have no problem with Brennan and think he could possibly be a starter in the NFL at some point. I would be more excited about Brennan than White. I think you have misunderstood me on my opinion of Brennan. I had said when others on this board were proclaiming him a high draft pick that once he is poked and prodded at combines that he would drop quite a bit in draft. Seriosly if we had drafted White at a point where you dont expect to get a starter I would have no problem with the pick. I prefer Simtim and Barwin anyday to a short qb that ran the spread in college.

all draft rumors. If they wanted Pat White they had the luxury to waste one of thier seconds on him. Passing on White three times spoke volumes.

So you say....remember they also had a pick at 58...and thats before the Dolphins selected Smith at 61.

Lets also remember that White wasn't a need for the Pats...but that doesn't mean they didn't want him.

So you say....remember they also had a pick at 58...and thats before the Dolphins selected Smith at 61.

Lets also remember that White wasn't a need for the Pats...but that doesn't mean they didn't want him.

if they really wanted him would they have taken three other players and waited for us to pick. He wasnt a need for us but we took him also.
Not saying they might not have taken him later but i dont see NE pulling Brady off the field for White.

if they really wanted him would they have taken three other players and waited for us to pick. He wasnt a need for us but we took him also.
Not saying they might not have taken him later but i dont see NE pulling Brady off the field for White.

Brady...is an unknown coming back off his injury....and he's no kid anymore.

I never have raised a victory flag on Brennan. I said Boomer was way wrong about him being a first round prospect. I have said before that I liked Brennan as a prospect better than John Beck. I have no problem with Brennan and think he could possibly be a starter in the NFL at some point. I would be more excited about Brennan than White. I think you have misunderstood me on my opinion of Brennan. I had said when others on this board were proclaiming him a high draft pick that once he is poked and prodded at combines that he would drop quite a bit in draft. Seriosly if we had drafted White at a point where you dont expect to get a starter I would have no problem with the pick. I prefer Simtim and Barwin anyday to a short qb that ran the spread in college.

To my knowledge, Simon never predicted that he WOULD go in the first round. Just that he was worthy of it. And, let's be honest, how could anyone say for certain that Simon has been PROVEN wrong on that? All the guy has done is catch on with a team and look pretty good in the preseason.

But I guess I do see what you're saying about him.

As for the Sintim/Bawrin thing...well, let me just say that Barwin is quite the projection himself. Time will tell which guy will be helping his team win games.

Running Backs have come back 100% from these types of injuries. the QBs don't put that much pressure on the knee. if Brady can get the mental part of trusting his knee down, he will be back.

Thats the big IF...now isn't. How will Brady react when he gets hit...and he will get hit.

To my knowledge, Simon never predicted that he WOULD go in the first round. Just that he was worthy of it. And, let's be honest, how could anyone say for certain that Simon has been PROVEN wrong on that? All the guy has done is catch on with a team and look pretty good in the preseason.

But I guess I do see what you're saying about him.

As for the Sintim/Bawrin thing...well, let me just say that Barwin is quite the projection himself. Time will tell which guy will be helping his team win games.

Simon predicted it well in advance and when we drafted Ginn he stated that if Brennan was in this draft he would have been a great pick at number 9. Simon predicted this well before he was in the actual draft to be somewhat fair.
Simon never predicted Brennan once the combine projections came out.
We argued up and down on Brennan. I never said he was a bad prospect I just knew he was going to fall once teams worked him out. I have always liked Brennan as a mid round pick but as a first round pick it was absurd to take him that high. This is just another reason I never predict any players draft position before they officially come out. Anybody remember John Walsh. He was the sure fire best qb in the upcoming draft many years ago.

Again I believe you're confusing what Simon said the guy was worthy of with whether Simon PREDICTED he would go in the first round.

Statement 1: I believe Colt Brennan is worthy of consideration at #9 overall.
Statement 2: I believe Colt Brennan will be selected in the first round.

Statement 1 does not imply Statement 2.

Back
Top Bottom