Ryan is done as a Dolphins if we have a successful season | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan is done as a Dolphins if we have a successful season

2018 is yr away. less see how it play out. thill17 is good guy but he is still?? to me. if he come back strong then he is started? but dolphins still need draft qb in 2018 1st or 2nd. mat moore is not answer.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone sober thinks Cutler will take us to the SB this year. However, I think it's possible that he comes in and plays better than RT ever has. That would be an interesting problem.

I don't think anyone sober thinks Cutler will take us to the SB this year. However, I think it's possible that he comes in and plays better than RT ever has. That would be an interesting problem. I think cutler will be all right this yr. why are people acting like he got take us to sb to be qb next yr. some people on here is not real. thill17 was not going take us to sb either. so why hate on cutler. everybody forget we have monster schedule this yr....

With a healthy Tanne, using an early draft pick on a potential replacement QB would be poor use of draft assets. With Tanne's knee as it is, however, I think the front office has to at least consider an early QB if someone they value highly falls to them. I love watching Tanne play, and I hope he has a long, productive career in Miami. I also want my team to prepare wisely for the future. Here's hoping the surgery goes as well as possible.

I've already stated that when Tannehill is entering his 15th year, I'm on board drafting a QB. What more do you want? Hell, I'll give you the Alex Smith scenario. I'm good drafting a QB in Tannehill's 13th year.

Yeah, nice try. That type of weak flail may survive when I'm not here. If I am here...goodbye.

Alex Smith was still 20 years old on the day of the 2005 NFL Draft. He turned 21 a couple of weeks later. Ryan Tannehill is one of the genius overaged low-upside picks that this franchise specializes in. Tannehill turned 24 a few months after the 2012 draft. So there is essentially a 3 year age disadvantage before anything else happens.

None of the adjusters seem to have any clue that a 24 year old has less logical room than a 21 year old. The tape guys watch the mechanics and footwork and accuracy and all the standard tunnel vision criteria while completely butchering the big picture aspect, that if it took a guy until beyond his 23rd birthday to start a collegiate season opener at his preferred position then hey, there might be something wrong here. Just a guess. There is upside but it's probably never going to be anything close to our preferred pretend version.

That holds true right now, and next year. If healthy we'll be patiently adjusting and still a favorite to be disappointed.

In scanning some of the threads recently I again have to commend roy miami. He is an absolutely remarkable poster. One of the very few who understands applied probability and the hypocrisy of the Happy crew. Actually I'm sure others understand as well but they don't want to make waves. The adjusters try to dictate the offseason here and elsewhere. Moderators and administrators don't mind because they are generally mesmerized by that type of thinking. Up, up and away. It helps morale and registration and everything. I understand.

Fahey takes it to a level beyond anyone. Kudos to that guy. He grasps that the offseason is so absurdly long so there is gullible market for all the adjusting nonsense. They'll actually pay to be told what they saw last season didn't actually happen. Nobody adjusts in the NBA. Season ends and within a few months it's training camp again. I feel sorry for those aspiring basketball adjusters.

If we wait until Ryan Tannehill's 15th season out of college he will be 38 years old when we seek his replacement. Good plan. At 13th season he's 36. Another good plan.

I remember my ultra sharp day telling me in the mid '80s that things tend to change quickly, much more rapid than conventional wisdom allows. He brought that up after he received an award for 30 years of service to the college where he taught as professor. Other professors in his department and age bracket seemed to think they were just getting started. No chance, my dad told me. Almost all of us will be gone within 10 years and most of us within 5.

I thought he was wrong. He was correct. He told me as one guy after another departed as they got later in their career. Even my dad's career ended a few years shy of his long time goal.

Similar will logically happen with Ryan Tannehill. He's not special and has never been special. Objects and finality are closer than they appear.

Yeah, nice try. That type of weak flail may survive when I'm not here. If I am here...goodbye.

Alex Smith was still 20 years old on the day of the 2005 NFL Draft. He turned 21 a couple of weeks later. Ryan Tannehill is one of the genius overaged low-upside picks that this franchise specializes in. Tannehill turned 24 a few months after the 2012 draft. So there is essentially a 3 year age disadvantage before anything else happens.

None of the adjusters seem to have any clue that a 24 year old has less logical room than a 21 year old. The tape guys watch the mechanics and footwork and accuracy and all the standard tunnel vision criteria while completely butchering the big picture aspect, that if it took a guy until beyond his 23rd birthday to start a collegiate season opener at his preferred position then hey, there might be something wrong here. Just a guess. There is upside but it's probably never going to be anything close to our preferred pretend version.

That holds true right now, and next year. If healthy we'll be patiently adjusting and still a favorite to be disappointed.

In scanning some of the threads recently I again have to commend roy miami. He is an absolutely remarkable poster. One of the very few who understands applied probability and the hypocrisy of the Happy crew. Actually I'm sure others understand as well but they don't want to make waves. The adjusters try to dictate the offseason here and elsewhere. Moderators and administrators don't mind because they are generally mesmerized by that type of thinking. Up, up and away. It helps morale and registration and everything. I understand.

Fahey takes it to a level beyond anyone. Kudos to that guy. He grasps that the offseason is so absurdly long so there is gullible market for all the adjusting nonsense. They'll actually pay to be told what they saw last season didn't actually happen. Nobody adjusts in the NBA. Season ends and within a few months it's training camp again. I feel sorry for those aspiring basketball adjusters.

If we wait until Ryan Tannehill's 15th season out of college he will be 38 years old when we seek his replacement. Good plan. At 13th season he's 36. Another good plan.

I remember my ultra sharp day telling me in the mid '80s that things tend to change quickly, much more rapid than conventional wisdom allows. He brought that up after he received an award for 30 years of service to the college where he taught as professor. Other professors in his department and age bracket seemed to think they were just getting started. No chance, my dad told me. Almost all of us will be gone within 10 years and most of us within 5.

I thought he was wrong. He was correct. He told me as one guy after another departed as they got later in their career. Even my dad's career ended a few years shy of his long time goal.

Similar will logically happen with Ryan Tannehill. He's not special and has never been special. Objects and finality are closer than they appear.

Way to not address the point.....

I bet you laughed at anyone who predicted 10-6 before the start of last season. Serious question, do you ever actually post anything about football? The actual play on the field?

Last edited:
Since we are talking crazy talk, I'll give you some crazy talk!

Assuming the Dolphins make it to the Superbowl:
1) Afterwards the front office calls in Cutler and Tannehill and offers them the following deal:
We want to keep both of you, but can't do it unless the money makes sense. How about setting the highest QB salary in history for a 1 year deal where you both get half of it and we play both of you in the majority of the 2018 seasons game. What do you think about that?
Cutler (thinking - one more shot at a Superbowl, more money then I ever made and I don't have to play as much) I'm in!
Tannehill (thinking - a shot at the Superbowl, making about the same as I did last year and I don't have to play as much, reducing the chance of another injury) I'm in!
Tannenbaum (thinking - I'll go down as the smartest VP of Operations in the NFL) We've got a deal!
Grier ( thinking - are these guys nuts?) He just smiles.
Gase (thinking - I'm going to be the first coach in the modern NFL to use two top quarterbacks in each game. This will drive the defenses nuts when trying to game plan against us and I'll get a chance to draft a new quarterback to maintain this advantage while every one is looking at Cutler and Tannehill.) Lets get started!
Ross (thinking - I don't care what they do as long as I win a lot of Superbowls) He just smiles.

I am relatively new to this forum and realize there may be some fans that don't believe either Cutler or Tannehill are top quarterbacks. For folks with that mindset I'll offer this preemptive response to their whines:

This ends my crazy talk. Back to my possibly unrealistic, but heartfelt optimism for 2017. I intend to enjoy the ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer to this depends on many years Cutler appears to have left, based on his performance in 2017.

If he appears to have several years of Tannehill-caliber play left, then you get rid of Tannehill's salary and draft a QB early, grooming him behind the cheaper Cutler.

If he can't achieve Tannehill-caliber play, or he appears to be on weak legs so to speak with regard to his remaining tenure in the league, then you have to stick with Tannehill and pay him.

With all due respect to the OP, I disagree.

Even if we win the Super bowl (truly a pipe-dream this season), we wouldn't be rolling with Cutler next year. He would be in his upper 30's, coming off several less than healthy seasons, and probably would want to ride into the sunset a Champion. We'd probably still start Tannehill. And anything short of that, we'd definitely start Tannehill.

Now, if Tannehill has some sort of medical complication, which I seriously do not expect, then we might look at drafting a QB, but if Tannehill is healthy, he stays. Now, if we totally tank this year, and draft high, we'll likely roll with Tannehill and trade down and collect a bundle of picks from a team that actually needs a QB.

But the bottom line is 4 things: 1) Cutler will be significantly older and less healthy than Tannehill, 2) Tannehill probably has another 8-10 years left, so we're unlikely to replace him, 3) Gase isn't likely to start a rebuild in year 3 after winning 10 games with Tannehill in year 1, so I can't see us drafting a QB, and 4) in today's NFL, ACL surgeries are almost always successful and the player comes fully back in a year.

So, I don't see a scenario where Tannehill isn't the top option. I recognize that uncertainty scares people, but this isn't a Tony Romo / Dak Prescott situation where the replacement is a young guy. This isn't like a Drew Bledsoe / Tom Brady situation. Cutler is older and ready to hang up the cleats. Tannehill still has a few years left and seems much more durable aside from this one knee injury he should have had surgery on last year.

Digital,

I was just enjoying making what I considered an absurd extrapolation on the possibilities at hand. I really did not believe anyone would take it seriously. As to your response, Agree with it. It was just a little unexpected.

With all due respect to the OP, I disagree.

Even if we win the Super bowl (truly a pipe-dream this season), we wouldn't be rolling with Cutler next year. He would be in his upper 30's, coming off several less than healthy seasons, and probably would want to ride into the sunset a Champion. We'd probably still start Tannehill. And anything short of that, we'd definitely start Tannehill.

Now, if Tannehill has some sort of medical complication, which I seriously do not expect, then we might look at drafting a QB, but if Tannehill is healthy, he stays. Now, if we totally tank this year, and draft high, we'll likely roll with Tannehill and trade down and collect a bundle of picks from a team that actually needs a QB.

But the bottom line is 4 things: 1) Cutler will be significantly older and less healthy than Tannehill, 2) Tannehill probably has another 8-10 years left, so we're unlikely to replace him, 3) Gase isn't likely to start a rebuild in year 3 after winning 10 games with Tannehill in year 1, so I can't see us drafting a QB, and 4) in today's NFL, ACL surgeries are almost always successful and the player comes fully back in a year.

So, I don't see a scenario where Tannehill isn't the top option. I recognize that uncertainty scares people, but this isn't a Tony Romo / Dak Prescott situation where the replacement is a young guy. This isn't like a Drew Bledsoe / Tom Brady situation. Cutler is older and ready to hang up the cleats. Tannehill still has a few years left and seems much more durable aside from this one knee injury he should have had surgery on last year.

Exactly correct. Not one of the "draft a QB early" crowd can point to a team that drafted a QB early while already having a relatively young, solid starting QB. None.

You would think that if their proposed approach to managing the position is the right way, they'd have loads of examples of teams doing it. The opposite is true.

Exactly correct. Not one of the "draft a QB early" crowd can point to a team that drafted a QB early while already having a relatively young, solid starting QB. None.

You would think that if their proposed approach to managing the position is the right way, they'd have loads of examples of teams doing it. The opposite is true.

The Eagles did it just last year or is Bradford not young enough? Oh wait, he's actually younger than Tannehill if you can believe it.

Honestly, if last week someone suggested that Tannehill was going to lead this team to a Super Bowl win, he would have been mocked by all but the most delusional kool-aide drinkers-- and rightly so.

But now we're supposed to seriously consider that a guy they plucked out of the broadcast booth is going to win the Super Bowl with this team-- somehow leapfrogging the Patriots who've done nothing but get better, and overcoming a questionable at best defense-- and decide Tannehill's fate accordingly.

Delusional isn't a strong enough word actually. It's as if a good percentage of the fanbase thinks the Dolphins actually got better once Tannehill got injured.

Thank you.

I thought people we're out of their minds for still thinking this squad was going to make the playoffs.

There's a saying that we're all familiar with which makes a lot of sense, "Hope for the best BUT, prepare for the worst."

As much as I understand the flaws in the "happy crew" logic I just never got this type of logic either. You had a revolving door of garbage QBs in Miami before Tannehill took over and by garbage I mean most of them were barely backups let alone NFL starting caliber. You had a need and you took a shot and it wasn't even a huge gamble since the compensation given up to date is marginal at best.

This isn't Black Jack, you can't count the deck to increase your odds of winning. There was no other option at that point in time other than Tannehill, unless of course you want to use hindsight on a long shot and say "well we could have taken a guy like Wilson". If you want to find the real reason the QB position in the NFL is becoming a complete garbage can you should look to your dad's advice that things do and will inevitably change and that change is at the college level. As more teams at the collegiate level progress to the "spread" type offense that simplifies the reads placed on QBs and therefor reduces the knowledge that a QB needs to understand about reading the defense. That reduction in overall football knowledge means you aren't going to have a draft class like 1983 ever again and it's been on a steady decline since 2005.

From 2010 to 2016 here is the list of QBs drafted out of college with winning records to date:

1. Teddy Bridgwater
  2. Dak Prescott
  3. Andrew Luck
  4. Brock Osweiler
  5. Nick Foles
  6. Russell Wilson
  7. Cam Newton
  8. Andy Dalton
That's it out of the 80+ QBs that were drafted from 2010 thru 2016 and of those 8 there are maybe 4 or 5 who you'd absolutely take over Tannehill. So I ask again what is the plan to improve the QB position once you walk away from Tannehill?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom