Ryan is done as a Dolphins if we have a successful season | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan is done as a Dolphins if we have a successful season

Kudos to Miami if they can field a 2000 Ravens type defense this year and Cutler just needs to be a trusted game manager and not a game changer at the position.

Just saying that it can and did happen. If Cutler looks no better (or even worse), in the coaches eyes, than what Tannehill was doing last season, and they still win the SB, then you go with the younger guy.

Kudos to Miami if they can field a 2000 Ravens type defense this year and Cutler just needs to be a trusted game manager and not a game changer at the position.

That's about as likely to happen as Cutler making the Pro-Bowl. Don't get me wrong in my head both occur but...........

If Cutler does bring us to the playoffs, anything can happen.

We learned a couple weeks ago anything can happen good or bad.

It's going to be different but man does he have a shitload of weapons to guide him to the playoffs.

I also highly doubt our defense is as terrible as last year. (Worst in franchise history)

Cutler would have to be Pennington like (finish 2nd in MVP Voting) or Tannehill's knee never recovers for Jay to stay. I just hope this woke up the staff to draft a QB to groom next year.

Still very excited and optimistic. Crazier things have happened than a playoff team going back to the playoffs with a new QB. I guess we'll see hopefully tonight!!

PHINS UP!!

This is Ryan's team. He will start 2018.

Unless Cutty (and im rooting for him, hes talented) takes us to conference champ/SB, then he will not be here in 2018 unless he decides to be a backup, which wont happen.

Jay Cutler wont do anything RT didnt display last year. He was making plays and playing at high level. He was blossoming. Even when he went down, the TEAM still made the playoffs.

Draft a QB early next year regardless.

But this is still Ryan's team for the next 5 years. imo.

5 years? I doubt that. He could be gone by March. If he was that good we wouldn't be questioning whether we should keep him at his salary, have him take a pay cut, trade him or release him.

With the talent at the skill position, Miami could do pretty well with Jay Cutler. I don't think would mean the end for Ryan Tannehill, though.

It might change the teams' thinking in the draft because Matt Moore isn't getting younger and the Dolphins might want a higher upside guy to challenge Tannehill as well.

imo, Tannehill isn't so much considering his NFL career as he is his post-NFL career; dude is pre-med A&M, so taking the Hippocratic still looms. does he wanna be an able walking physician or a cane-enabled one?

With the talent at the skill position, Miami could do pretty well with Jay Cutler. I don't think would mean the end for Ryan Tannehill, though.

It might change the teams' thinking in the draft because Matt Moore isn't getting younger and the Dolphins might want a higher upside guy to challenge Tannehill as well.

I read post after post after post about bringing guys in to challenge Tannehill, even using a high draft pick. I ask anyone to point out the legitimate challengers (i..e. 1st - 3rd rounds) that where brought in to compete with or groom behind these QBs:

Never won anything:
- Stafford
- Palmer
- Bortles
- Bradford
- Cousins
- Taylor
- Dalton

Aging veterans or past their prime:
- Brees
- Flacco
- Rivers
- Roethlisberger
- Rodgers

How about this guy returning from injury:
- Luck

Here are the teams that used a high pick this year on a QB

Cleveland picked Kizer in round 2. They didn't have an NFL QB on the roster
Houston picked Watson in round 1. They didn't have an NF QB on the roster.
Chicago picked Trubisky in round 1. They didn't have an NFL QB on the roster.
SF picked Beathard in round 3. They didn't have an NFL QB on the roster.
KC picked Mahomes in round 1. They have Alex Smith entering his 13th year.
NYG pick Webb in round 3. They have Manning entering his 14th year.

NINETEEN teams could have legitimately made the case for drafting a QB in rounds 1 - 3 this year. SIX team did it and FOUR of the six did not have an NFL quality QB on the roster. Two had QBs entering his 13th or 14th year. Those teams were 11-5 and 12-4.

Teams just don't do what gets regularly suggested on this site. Teams DO NOT use high picks on QBs unless they absolutely need one very soon or they can clearly see the end of the line for the current QB and they have a decent team already (they can afford to use the pick).

Last edited:
Well, this is kinda easy. If Cutler wins?

Who is Adam Gases GUY?

RT or JC.

It really is that simple.

So who would Gase prefer, the QB that is overly aggressive, and needs to be controlled because he tends to throw too many dumb INTs, or the QB that needs to just be a bit more aggressive, but rarely throws dumb INTs.

Unless Cutler has an epic year, when Tannehill is ready, it's his team...that goes also if the unimaginable happens, and Miami win the SB, because I am sure Gase will think he can do it again with the younger Tannehill with little no problem.

imo, Tannehill isn't so much considering his NFL career as he is his post-NFL career; dude is pre-med A&M, so taking the Hippocratic still looms. does he wanna be an able walking physician or a cane-enabled one?

Actually what the question should be, does he want to be a Football player or Doctor more? One does pay much much better then the other.

bottom line we need draft a qb next yr...just like kc did this yr in draft. . we can make playoff w jc6, or rt17 and still get beat in first round.

At this point, after another fairly major knee injury, I think we need to move on. If we don't move on (regardless of what Cutler does this year), we are going to be stuck with a mediocre team for the next 3 years. Tannehill has taken too many hits in his career thanks to this oline and his poor pocket awareness. I doubt Tannehill plays beyond 35 years old. If he was a few years younger, I'd be willing to stick with him. I don't think he is going to live up to what we though he was going to. I mean, I thought this was going to be the year, so the knee injury is unfortunate, not sure there could have been worse timing on this one.

Best case scenario, Cutler does really well, we got to the playoffs, win a game or two. Cutler sticks around and continues to play well while we draft and develop a young QB.

More likely to happen is we don't have a great season, and cutler leaves. Or we do have a great season, and he leaves anyway.

This knee injury to Tannehill altered the franchise future heavily in my opinion.

"I thought this was going to be the year"
"I think we need to move on"

I dont understand how you can say that in the same post. If you truly think a guy has put it all together and is poised for great things, you dont dump him. BB will get ahold of him as Brady's successor and haunt you.

He didnt have another injury. He re-injured the same one that clearly wasnt stable. His treatment for it didnt work. He just needs the surgery and he will be good to go next year. Then youll have a 31 yr old QB with experience and a chip on his shoulder.

Draft a qb to replace MM.

"I thought this was going to be the year"
"I think we need to move on"

I dont understand how you can say that in the same post. If you truly think a guy has put it all together and is poised for great things, you dont dump him. BB will get ahold of him as Brady's successor and haunt you.

He didnt have another injury. He re-injured the same one that clearly wasnt stable. His treatment for it didnt work. He just needs the surgery and he will be good to go next year. Then youll have a 31 yr old QB with experience and a chip on his shoulder.

Draft a qb to replace MM.

Ahh yes, nothing instills confidence like hoping a 30 year old QB with no playoff experience coming off another knee injury, having not played a game since December 2016, to just pick up where he left off in September 2018. There should be no worries about reinjury or how mentally challenging this will be for him to not only rehab AGAIN but the way he thinks on the field in regards to his knee.

I'm all for him being the guy in 2018 but people have EVERY right to have their doubts in him being able to come back and be the same QB that was on the cusp of entering a higher level in 2016. He certainly may be but Miami would be foolish to think its an inevitable fact that he will be.

Back
Top Bottom