Season has yet to begin & already Ireland is looking like big loser in Free Agency | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Season has yet to begin & already Ireland is looking like big loser in Free Agency

It's funny how much wagon circling occurs every time someone dares criticize the Dolphins on anything. It's like watching kicked ant pile.

Besides some depth signings and some guys who were brought in to compete for starting jobs, Miami wasn't even that active in free agency. Hard to call Ireland a free agency loser based on depth signings. The only real "big time" free agent they signed was Richard Marshall, which as you admitted has been a standout and actually looks like he has unseated Vontae Davis as a starter.

Are we really complaining that guys like Westerman, Steinbach and Guyton are nothing more than depth players? I think that was pretty obvious when they signed their deals in the offseason. Did anyone really think the majority of these free agents were going to be starting during the season? Garrard wasn't brought in to definitely start, he was brought in to COMPETE for a starting job. There was not one free agent pickup that Ireland went into thinking they were going to fill a hole in the starting lineup, so I am not surprised that his "depth" signings are in fact "depth" players. Mahaffey? Seriously you are complaining about him being released?

I remember there was an article before free agency even started where the team hosted alumni players for an event and it was revealed that the Dolphins were going to adopt the "build through the draft" approach and try for the most part to stay away from the high priced players of free agency. They pretty much followed that idea this year so far. Sure they signed Chad Johnson, to a one year non-guaranteed vet minimum contract. It was a low risk signing. Almost all the free agent pickups signed one year deals, so they were not meant to be long term starters are really factor into the future.

The draft picks are going to have bigger roles than the one year deal veterans they signed, which is the way it should be. The draft picks are the future, not the one year contract veteran depth players. I understand some people hate Ireland, but come on now, there is a limit to this madness.

Ouch. Came out guns blazing on that one, eh?

I think Artis Hicks will start all year but he's really only a serviceable player. Richard Marshall will start all year and I don't imagine getting the bang for our buck on him at corner that we would if we'd just lined him up at safety like I originally wanted.

Legedu Naanee...let's find out when he actually does something in a game.

Let's also keep in mind that the early-early-early returns on the draft picks aren't looking so hot right now either, outside of Ryan Tannehill.

-Jonathan Martin has looked for all the world like Marc Colombo and I can't believe I'm even saying that
-Olivier Vernon has not even shown me a competent pass rush snap yet
-Michael Egnew is everyone's favorite kick 'em toy
-Lamar Miller is behind Steve Slaton and not exactly wowing on kick returns
-Josh Kaddu will be lucky to make the roster
-B.J. Cunningham will not be that lucky
-Kheeston Randall might claim a hundred snaps or so but not be of any impact
-Rishard Matthews MIGHT make the roster

The only area the man keeps succeeding at is UDFA. Derrick Shelby, Josh Samuda & Jeff Fuller are all pushing hard for roster spots. Javorskie Lane has been impressive at FB & likely made the team & Chris Hogan has also been a pleasant surprise. In the case of Hogan will Ireland being smart enough to keep him on the roster or let him get poached by another team.

I have a theory that if the Miami Dolphins lose 10 games or more this year, they will be hiring a new General Manager in 2013.

1. If Tannehill struggles (we're talking Gabbert struggling) then Ireland will take heat for that
2. If Tannehill plays well but the team still loses a bunch, Ireland will take heat for the lack of talent
3. The Dolphins will have $50+ million salary cap space for the new General Manager to work with
4. The Dolphins will also have a high Draft pick for the new General Manager to work with
5. A ton of expiring contracts means important decisions on how to proceed with the roster build

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

The only area the man keeps succeeding at is UDFA. Derrick Shelby, Josh Samuda & Jeff Fuller are all pushing hard for roster spots. Javorskie Lane has been impressive at FB & likely made the team & Chris Hogan has also been a pleasant surprise. In the case of Hogan will Ireland being smart enough to keep him on the roster or let him get poached by another team.

Even so winning in UNDRAFTED Free Agency is a lot more of a moral victory than a real victory. Even the good UDFA finds aren't needle-movers.

It's funny how much wagon circling occurs every time someone dares criticize the Dolphins on anything. It's like watching kicked ant pile.
I have no problems with people badmouthing the team, in areas it's warrented. the list of free agent names this offseason was underwhelming and I didn't see anyone that made me wet my pants in anticipation of getting them to sign with us. Fact is we're approaching free agency more like the packers and less like the redskins this offseason.

I have no problems with people badmouthing the team, in areas it's warrented. the list of free agent names this offseason was underwhelming and I didn't see anyone that made me wet my pants in anticipation of getting them to sign with us. Fact is we're approaching free agency more like the packers and less like the redskins this offseason.

+1

Next season whether it be Ireland or somebody different, we will see the splashes.

Dwayne Bowe come in down.

Here is another one for you guys instead of signing a veteran proven G in Jake Scott or a playmaking WR in Braylon Edwards. Ireland decided to go with an injury plagued Eric Steinbach who has yet to do anything but miss practices & prove he can't challenge at the RG spot. As for Hicks starting the Fins are back to step one with Jerry now seeing time with the 1s, Hicks not only did not practice today, but he was absent from practice, no sign of the guy.

And guys Im not asking the guy to go out and spend Millions ala the Redskins on the Dolphins just make the wise decision that will help this team. We've seen this in the past with the Cowboys cast offs, this way of thinking is exactly what got us Colombo last year & look how that ended up.

Here is another one for you guys instead of signing a veteran proven G in Jake Scott or a playmaking WR in Braylon Edwards. Ireland decided to go with an injury plagued Eric Steinbach who has yet to do anything but miss practices & prove he can't challenge at the RG spot. As for Hicks starting the Fins are back to step one with Jerry now seeing time with the 1s, Hicks not only did not practice today, but he was absent from practice, not a sign of the guy.

You do know Scott was hurt as well right? Or did you miss that important information while making this post?

I'm fine with not signing any big name free agents, especially the way the salary cap played out this year. 1-year contracts are fine - they are just to help Philbin get started.

I'm glad we passed on Peyton Manning, Matt Flynn, Braylon Edwards, Vincent Jackson, Mario Williams, Carl Nicks, ect. These guys are severely overpaid. We would have had to cut players to make room for these bloated salaries. Not worth it imo.

You know what I have long been a critic of Jeff Ireland but c'mon man, Jeff has less money wrapped up in all of those free agents than Arizona or Seattle have in one major acquisition. I mean Kolb looks like a major bust out there in the desert and Flynn isn't exactly setting the world on fire in rainville.

But I guess Jeff gets the heat for bring in a free guys at a low price, you have a rookie Qb who has climbed to #1 on the depth chart and this Garrad garbage would have surfaced at somepoint, I'm glad it is done and over with, Chad is the other one, what did we lose? Nothing more than a QB made of glass and a WR made of ****headedness.

Most of the rest of those guys are camp fodder anyway that Miami got at rock bottom deals.

I'm fine with not signing any big name free agents, especially the way the salary cap played out this year. 1-year contracts are fine - they are just to help Philbin get started.

I'm glad we passed on Peyton Manning, Matt Flynn, Braylon Edwards, Vincent Jackson, Mario Williams, Carl Nicks, ect. These guys are severely overpaid. We would have had to cut players to make room for these bloated salaries. Not worth it imo.

I'd love to have Jackson right now.

Even the Packers pull in guys like Charles Woodson, Al Harris, Donald Lee, Ryan Grant, Ryan Pickett and Erik Walden from other teams. I think what Robi is saying is that the only guy we've been able to pull in this off season that is worth anything is Richard Marshall.

And personally I would caution against the assumption that he was a successful signing...until after we see him in action. I thought he should have been signed to play safety and that making him our starting corner is a mistake.

Even the Packers pull in guys like Charles Woodson, Al Harris, Donald Lee, Ryan Grant, Ryan Pickett and Erik Walden from other teams. I think what Robi is saying is that the only guy we've been able to pull in this off season that is worth anything is Richard Marshall.

And personally I would caution against the assumption that he was a successful signing...until after we see him in action. I thought he should have been signed to play safety and that making him our starting corner is a mistake.

He's ahead of Davis, can't be that much of a mistake.

You do know Scott was hurt as well right? Or did you miss that important information while making this post?

Jake Scott being hurt is speculation, not a confirmed fact. Others theorize that he's just pricing himself out of the market.

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

He's ahead of Davis, can't be that much of a mistake.

Bad assumption, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom