Season has yet to begin & already Ireland is looking like big loser in Free Agency | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Season has yet to begin & already Ireland is looking like big loser in Free Agency

Why is it that teams like New England and Green Bay are called genius for never signing those big free agents and filling out the bottom of the roster with low-priced ones, yet when we do it, Ireland is said to have failed free agency before it's even began? I don't get it. Which do you guys want? First you guys whined like babies because our cap was screwed thanks to signing the big name free agents. Now we don't do it, and are going to have an excess of cap room next year, and now everyone is whining anyways? It's exhausting trying to keep up...

Because New England and Green Bay draft well and the Dolphins don't. That's the big difference. My biggest complaint about Ireland is his drafting ability. Its all find and dandy to build through the draft if you can draft talent. But when you don't, your pretty much screwed like the Dolphins are right now.

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

I am not doing the research but if you look at the low level FA signings made by the Steelers, Pats, Giants and Packers, I think you'll find the numbers of failures to be about the same.

Ya but how are their draft picks doing compared to the Dolphins? Its night and day.

Because New England and Green Bay draft well and the Dolphins don't. That's the big difference. My biggest complaint about Ireland is his drafting ability. Its all find and dandy to build through the draft if you can draft talent. But when you don't, your pretty much screwed like the Dolphins are right now.

Well, that's a fair answer. I would then ask you to give an example of a team that won the Super Bowl off of the back of a bunch of free agent signings in recent memory. When you fail to come up with one, just realize that you're advocating for an approach that has a 0% success rate since Dan Marino retired. So considering that, why would you push so hard for an approach that we know doesn't work...?

Well, that's a fair answer. I would then ask you to give an example of a team that won the Super Bowl off of the back of a bunch of free agent signings in recent memory. When you fail to come up with one, just realize that you're advocating for an approach that has a 0% success rate since Dan Marino retired. So considering that, why would you push so hard for an approach that we know doesn't work...?

I am not advocating building a team on a bunch of high priced free agents. That doesn't mean you can't add a piece here and there though. You have to build through the draft. But when the GM isn't doing a real good job of drafting, its kind of hard to build a solid team. Ireland has done a poor job bringing in talent in general.

I am not advocating building a team on a bunch of high priced free agents. That doesn't mean you can't add a piece here and there though. You have to build through the draft. But when the GM isn't doing a real good job of drafting, its kind of hard to build a solid team. Ireland has done a poor job bringing in talent in general.

But that's what the OP is advocating. But I should apologize, I assumed since you were agreeing, you wanted that as well. Fact is, we had a good draft last year, and it looks like we found our Franchise QB this year. It seems a little too early to say he sucks at drafting, considering it takes 3 years or so to be able to accurately make an assessment on a draft anyways...

I am not a big Ireland fan bro, but he couldn't do a lot of signings due to where we were with the cap and also we had our own FA players to lock up.

Why is it that teams like New England and Green Bay are called genius for never signing those big free agents and filling out the bottom of the roster with low-priced ones, yet when we do it, Ireland is said to have failed free agency before it's even began? I don't get it. Which do you guys want? First you guys whined like babies because our cap was screwed thanks to signing the big name free agents. Now we don't do it, and are going to have an excess of cap room next year, and now everyone is whining anyways? It's exhausting trying to keep up...

The difference between us and GB and NE is that they've drafted franchise players in the last ten years, something Jeff Ireland doesn't seem to care for.

I am not a big Ireland fan bro, but he couldn't do a lot of signings due to where we were with the cap and also we had our own FA players to lock up.

The cap situation is his fault! How the hell does Miami have the 3rd least amount of cap room in the league, with this roster?!?!?!

The difference between us and GB and NE is that they've drafted franchise players in the last ten years, something Jeff Ireland doesn't seem to care for.

Exactly! He is to busy trying to find acorns.

But that's what the OP is advocating. But I should apologize, I assumed since you were agreeing, you wanted that as well. Fact is, we had a good draft last year, and it looks like we found our Franchise QB this year. It seems a little too early to say he sucks at drafting, considering it takes 3 years or so to be able to accurately make an assessment on a draft anyways...

What makes you think it was a good draft last year? Pouncey and Clay look good, but Gates is a bust and the jury is still out on Daniel Thomas. Jimmy Wilson has a chance to be decent.

Anytime anything remotely critical of Ireland shows up this apologist militia immediately rolls out. This does not even need to be a critical opinion piece. Just post the list of FA signings. It looks like ****. Even these safe one year stop gap signings have managed to turn out disastrously and we're not even out of the preseason yet. Even if you use the qualifier that they weren't looking to make a big investment in FA. Or the unusual defense that somehow Ireland shouldn't be blamed since he has no cap space... because Ireland's mishandling of it has left a crappy playmakerless roster no cap space.

Does Ireland have the ability to compile a complete competitive roster? He's shown no evidence of that. That's a pretty big ****ing problem, since that's his job.

So...wait a minute.

The TWO BIGGEST non-signings this off season were Peyton Manning and Matt Flynn, right?

Peyton Manning is apparently having a hard time throwing the ball harder than I can. (In fairness, I can throw it pretty hard for an average dude.)

Matt Flynn looks like he's about to lose his starting gig to a rookie.

You've been a huge Ireland supporter in the past, but THIS is the point you lose faith? Poor timing.

I am very tired of seeing these threads bashing our team, our players our GM or owner. Jesus, can we please just wait until the season begins and plays at least 6 weeks in before we start to panic. These threads are getting pathetic. There is only so much they can do, salary cap wise and such. I am going to go to other Finz sites for awhile. It is ridiculous how this place is lately. I am happy just to have football back and all you whiny little bitches are getting annoying. Just shut the **** up already. Finatic, I usually like your insight and follow you on twitter, but you're getting as bad as the rest of these negative twits.

I am very tired of seeing these threads bashing our team, our players our GM or owner. Jesus, can we please just wait until the season begins and plays at least 6 weeks in before we start to panic. These threads are getting pathetic. There is only so much they can do, salary cap wise and such. I am going to go to other Finz sites for awhile. It is ridiculous how this place is lately. I am happy just to have football back and all you whiny little bitches are getting annoying. Just shut the **** up already. Finatic, I usually like your insight and follow you on twitter, but you're getting as bad as the rest of these negative twits.

And if this season is like the last few, will we finally be able to add your voice to the chorus of naysayers? Will you finally realize that the job of Ireland and Aponte is to find us talent and work out salary caps so that we can fill holes in the roster. I for one am tired of all the grass will be greener with one more year under our belt people, just give it time, we have very little game changing talent but we have a new coaching regime and if we stay the course it will all be better. Football being back with this team, if we go by the previous few years means rooting for a mediocre squad while other woe begone teams seem to get better. I hope I am wrong and I could be because as you say the season hasn't even begun yet but I see no evidence, other than Tanny having a Marino like year, that this team will compete for the playoffs in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom