Sign Leonard Fournette | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sign Leonard Fournette

Every single time that one of these threads about released players is posted, I come in here and give a litany of reasons why I wouldn't do it.

But this time, I'm thinking maybe...

A decent RB that would play for a below market contract, and who is fighting to prove himself in order to set himself up for free agency?

He's still young...

I'd do this one if he's not looking for an unrealistic amount of money.

Every single time that one of these threads about released players is posted, I come in here and give a litany of reasons why I wouldn't do it.

But this time, I'm thinking maybe...

A decent RB that would play for a below market contract, and who is fighting to prove himself in order to set himself up for free agency?

He's still young...

I'd do this one if he's not looking for an unrealistic amount of money.

This, exactly. I mean, the whole thing about his lack of vision might be concerning, but I don’t think it’s Karen Ballage level bad.

This just isn't accurate. Howard did not lose his gig because Sanders was more talented.

Howard and Sanders started the season sharing carries...they split the workload pretty evenly for the first few weeks. By midseason, Howard was getting the majority of the carries. HE was the workhorse back, not Sanders. The reason Miles Sanders became the starter was because of the shoulder injury Howard suffered against Chicago in Week 8. He barely played again for the rest of the year after that - he just wasn't medically right.

Don't get me wrong, Sanders is a talented back. But so is Howard. They complemented each other well - I'm betting Howard and Breida will as well.

im not saying he lost it in season I’m saying he lost it going forward end of season. I realize they were splitting and howard got most the run sanders rookie year.

going forward they most definitely decided that sanders was a more dynamic and talented option (which is fine sanders is a pretty exciting player)

Last edited:
Howard was pretty darn dynamic that rookie year in Chicago. I'm not sure I understand your claim at all. You state that the Bears had no receivers and thus the game had to run through the RB - wouldn't that have meant it was MORE difficult for the RB to produce on a per carry basis, since the defense didn't have to worry about the passing game? He averaged 5.2 YPC over 252 carries and as someone who watches nearly all Bears' games, his ability was legit.

Now I don't think he was the same player after Nagy took over - he looked a lot slower whereas he used to hit the hole like Lamar Miller but with more power. I don't think we're getting the same Howard as when he entered the league or else Id be really excited, as it is I like Breida more. But still, you're claim is preposterous and defies logic, and I'm pretty sure I've seen ten times the Howard play that you have.

im not referencing his rookie year. He was a rookie of the year candidate his rookie year.

it was the year before cutler came to Miami I think where the bears lost all their receivers to attrition and the entire offense ran thru the tight ends and rbs conceptually. And cutler had lost a little bit off his fastball.

and I also agree with you that he hasn’t been the same burst player since basically his rookie season. Or maybe that was a function of how heavy his use was just catching up. I don’t know. But not quite the same I’d agree.

as for the claim that you’ve seen 10 times more of him than I have I will just say there aren’t many folks that have seen more pro football games league wide than I have. I sure don’t know any.

I do think tbe combo of howard and Breida is a nice pair assuming they can stay healthy. Howard will get you what the blocking and play call call for not gonna break many and Breida can outflank and provides explosive plays in the run and pass game.

but I’d call the combo pretty average at best in terms of overall which hey is a major upgrade over what we had last year. I actually like Breida more but it all comes down to health with him and accordingly so does the units ceiling.

this is a combo of 2 backs that teams have given up on for different reasons. One being wanting a more dynamic duel threat option and the other due to medical. And not surprisingly Miami contractually can get out of either one or both rather easily end of year.

Last edited:
He will more than likely pass thru waivers because no one is willing to pay him 4 + mil and get his choice were to play next, money may come into play but he going to want to show his wares and try to get a big payday next year, doubt he comes here with Howard here, he would have to fight for rep's and wouldn't get the chance to show himself to some extent.

im not referencing his rookie year. He was a rookie of the year candidate his rookie year.

it was the year before cutler came to Miami I think where the bears lost all their receivers to attrition and the entire offense ran thru the tight ends and rbs conceptually. And cutler had lost a little bit off his fastball.

and I also agree with you that he hasn’t been the same burst player since basically his rookie season. Or maybe that was a function of how heavy his use was just catching up. I don’t know. But not quite the same I’d agree.

as for the claim that you’ve seen 10 times more of him than I have I will just say there aren’t many folks that have seen more pro football games league wide than I have. I sure don’t know any.

I do think tbe combo of howard and Breida is a nice pair assuming they can stay healthy. Howard will get you what the blocking and play call call for not gonna break many and Breida can outflank and provides explosive plays in the run and pass game.

but I’d call the combo pretty average at best in terms of overall which hey is a major upgrade over what we had last year. I actually like Breida more but it all comes down to health with him and accordingly so does the units ceiling.

this is a combo of 2 backs that teams have given up on for different reasons. One being wanting a more dynamic duel threat option and the other due to medical. And not surprisingly Miami contractually can get out of either one or both rather easily end of year.

This is fair.

I don't see that Howard has lost a lot between his rookie season and now; of course, any RB will have more success when the unit they're running against can't stack the box. If this conversation was happening two years from now? I'd be less pro-Howard, because of what he is. He's a freaking hammer. One cut, follow your blockers, hit the hole as best you can, and run the **** over whoever happens to be there. If anything, that injury last year saved a lot of wear and tear, because he only had 119 carries. He's not going to have an extended NFL career.

What's interesting is that a unit of Howard/Fournette/Breida could have other defenses half-dead in the 4th quarter if the Dolphins are able to keep from having to play from behind all game this year.

I suspect he can’t wait too long to make a decision if he clears waivers today.

He’s had to have been thinking about his next destination for quite awhile.

Something's definitely screwed up in Jax. In two years they lost Ramsey, Fournette and Ngakoue took a payout to get out of there.

This is fair.

I don't see that Howard has lost a lot between his rookie season and now; of course, any RB will have more success when the unit they're running against can't stack the box. If this conversation was happening two years from now? I'd be less pro-Howard, because of what he is. He's a freaking hammer. One cut, follow your blockers, hit the hole as best you can, and run the **** over whoever happens to be there. If anything, that injury last year saved a lot of wear and tear, because he only had 119 carries. He's not going to have an extended NFL career.

What's interesting is that a unit of Howard/Fournette/Breida could have other defenses half-dead in the 4th quarter if the Dolphins are able to keep from having to play from behind all game this year.

Difference in burst with Howard in year 3 was clearly evident. It wasn't just teams stacking the box. Theres no way an offensive coach like Matt Nagy just gets rod of Howard after year three otherwise.

Bears are a great fit. Montgomery was unimpressive last year and is hurt now. Of course Fournette could do the Pats some good, but you're rarely gonna be more than a role player on the Pats as an RB. And their success sans Brady is not the sure thing it was before.
Belicheck discipline vs Fournette attitude. Time will tell

Flores isn't the type to get info from before ANYTHING happens.....

He comes from the BB press conference We're on to Cincinnati and if it rains it rains, if it snows it snows, we prep for these things so we'll enact those plans based upon what were facing type of stuff.

Difference in burst with Howard in year 3 was clearly evident. It wasn't just teams stacking the box. Theres no way an offensive coach like Matt Nagy just gets rod of Howard after year three otherwise.

Nagys offense is outflank. Smoke and mirrors etc. at least it has been under trubisky.

that’s not a great fit for Howard’s game which is a massive tell and fits cohens game like a glove. I agree on your Montgomery take

Nagys offense is outflank. Smoke and mirrors etc. at least it has been under trubisky.

that’s not a great fit for Howard’s game which is a massive tell and fits cohens game like a glove. I agree on your Montgomery take

This. Kinda like how Gase decided to have Drake run everything inside and Gore bounce things to the outside. It didn't fit either RB's game.

Back
Top Bottom