so are we ready to shed millions? | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

so are we ready to shed millions?

Listen Shouright. You are only here by the grace and niceness of the mods and admins. Just remember that. Stop attacking posters.

I’d rather have Junk back, atleast his moving goalposts where fun in the offseason.

No you don't. That suggestion should get you an infraction possible life time ban. :laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

Just saying it the way I read it. And no I don’t want Junk back, I’d just rather have him than sourwrong .

Please do.

Will do. The cap is based on a 3 year moving average, so any small dip they had this year is diluted by the previous 2 years, and the net change over the last 3 years is still a huge gain. Since the new CBA was implemented, there has been at least a $10m increase every year. Also, it’s public as of today, but Verizon inked a new $5 billion deal with the NFL to stream games. It’s going to take a lot more than a 5-6% dip in viewership this year to move the needle on total NFL revenue, and in turn the salary cap. The cap is going up next year.

Will do. The cap is based on a 3 year moving average, so any small dip they had this year is diluted by the previous 2 years, and the net change over the last 3 years is still a huge gain. Since the new CBA was implemented, there has been at least a $10m increase every year. Also, it’s public as of today, but Verizon inked a new $5 billion deal with the NFL to stream games. It’s going to take a lot more than a 5-6% dip in viewership this year to move the needle on total NFL revenue, and in turn the salary cap. The cap is going up next year.
I read $2.5 billion.

It’s $2billion/5years with some contingencies. Post above was a typo.

Trade him? lol

You don't trade the cap hit. That bonus money cap hit gets accelerated and we still take the "dead cap hit" essentially. It is slightly better than cutting him because you get something back but he is worth more than a "low round" pick to us . . . considering we still would be paying for him.

It is a year early to even thing about making any move with Suh. Even 2019 is tough but it is more realistic than 2018 and you get a look at his play level for another year.

A team does still take the cap hit, but the cap savings achieved from cutting or trading Suh outweighs the dead cap hit by $3.9M in 2018, and by $15M in 2019.

And I'm not entirely sure Suh's value to the Dolphins has been proven definitively. The team finished among the worst in the league against the run last year, and it's playing among the worst in the league against the pass this year.

How exactly does Suh's perceived value translate to on-the-field play?

I'd like to think there's value there, but how is it measured?

I do know the team can finish among the worst in the league against the run, and among the worst in the league against the pass, without Suh.

Certainly there is nothing going on akin to the "Ray Lewis effect," where the Ravens' defense finished among the league's best in just about every season of Ray Lewis's career.

Ian Rapport is reporting the salary cap will increase to $174M-$178M, which is between $7m-$11m boost. OTC is forecasting Miami to be about $15M under the cap to start F/A in 2018. This is good news considering the cap hell the team is currently facing. This boost, gives Miami between $22m-$26m in space to start. With the expected release of James, Thomas and others it could mean Miami has as much as $40M to use to sign players or re-sign their own. Come on down Jarvis Landry lets get together and work out a deal. Niiiiiiiice!!!

Personally, I think I'd keep James and just keep Jesse Davis playing guard. Between Larsen and Asiata, I like our chances to get at least serviceable play out of the other guard spot -- Larsen has been OK since shaking off the rust -- and that just leaves us with C where we're really in trouble. Brendel is good depth and I feel like our tackle depth is actually really solid between Young, Smith and Davis in a pinch.

We actually have a chance to finally get good OL play if we keep building on what we have instead of jettisoning one of our better linemen to save money.

James ($9.3M) can hit the road if he asks for more than a few mil per year. I doubt Pouncey ($7.0M) is back next year. Wake ($8.0M) has a fair chance of being cut. And Julius Thomas ($6.6M) is a no-brainer. With about $15M in projected cap space next year, and an additional $30M in potential cuts, we have an off-season spending limit of about $45M. That's not salary cap hell folks.

And the idiot talking about the "perceived value" of Suh doesn't understand that the NFL is about acquiring talent, not cap space.

James ($9.3M) can hit the road if he asks for more than a few mil per year. I doubt Pouncey ($7.0M) is back next year. Wake ($8.0M) has a fair chance of being cut. And Julius Thomas ($6.6M) is a no-brainer. With about $15M in projected cap space next year, and an additional $30M in potential cuts, we have an off-season spending limit of about $45M. That's not salary cap hell folks.

And the idiot talking about the "perceived value" of Suh doesn't understand that the NFL is about acquiring talent, not cap space.

Conversely, Gase 'loves' JT and Pouncey. For now, I expect, at least, both to be asked to restructure as will Suh and Tannehill. That said, I think JT is gone

Conversely, Gase 'loves' JT and Pouncey. For now, I expect, at least, both to be asked to restructure as will Suh and Tannehill. That said, I think JT is gone

Gase loves Pouncey. I don’t think he loves James. I doubt Suh and Tannehill restructure. When you restructure, it almost always means you have to give the player more guaranteed money. Do we really want to give these guys more money?

a restructure of tannehill will put you on the books for more guaranteed money going forward when you can basically walk away after 2018 if you want to as it stands...

thus I don't see it...

suh is the one where I think a restructure is possible cause hes shown to be durable and he still plays a very good dt...but at the same time the development of Phillips and godchaux going forward could play into any suh stuff...

Gase loves Pouncey. I don’t think he loves James. I doubt Suh and Tannehill restructure. When you restructure, it almost always means you have to give the player more guaranteed money. Do we really want to give these guys more money?

JT is Thomas. I'm not suggesting either will restructure, only that Gase may try restructure rather than part ways. I'm more optimistic on the variety of ways to restructure for Suh and Tannehill. Just a small restructure could help the '18 cap quite a bit. And, barring an injury setback, I suspect Tannehill is the long-term starter.

Back
Top Bottom