so are we ready to shed millions? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

so are we ready to shed millions?

Someone on twitter just listed the teams with the least amount of cap space for 2018. The Dolphins were listed with $11.7M in available cap space going into 2018. The speculation is the Eagles will purge a lot of players because they sit with only $5M-$6M in space, with the Chiefs with the most limited amount at just over $5M. Miami isn’t the only team with cap issues. Just a heads up to my fellow Finfans.

The cap hit on Suhs contract makes it tough to let him go ..way too much...

Tell us how we know when the other available information disagrees with what's in a box score, and then tell us how we can determine when you're wrong in that regard.

In other words, tell us why we should trust "J. David Wannyheimer," a nobody on a message board, over a box score, when we have no problem at all trusting that what's in a box score is in fact correct.
For one thing, the fact that you’re calling him into question makes him immeasurably more believable.

I think unless he restructures his contract Suh is a goner

Not next year.

Suh has all the leverage for 2018. Sure the contract isn't pretty to look at but the cap hit Miami would take makes it a no brainer to keep him. And he is still an elite 4-3 DT. This isn't Haynesworth, dude has like the highest percentage of snaps from a DT in the league.

His paycheck is fully earned.

The cap hit on Suhs contract makes it tough to let him go ..way too much...

You save only $3.9M by cutting or trading him this year, whereas you save a boatload more doing the same next year.

Then again, teams will know that next year, and so this may be the last year in which you can get anything at all for him in trade. If you try trading him next year, teams may just wait around for him to be cut, knowing you are willing to part with him and want to save the money.

I'd trade him for even a low-round pick this offseason.

Tell us how we know when the other available information disagrees with what's in a box score, and then tell us how we can determine when you're wrong in that regard.

In other words, tell us why we should trust "J. David Wannyheimer," a nobody on a message board, over a box score, when we have no problem at all trusting that what's in a box score is in fact correct.
Listen Shouright. You are only here by the grace and niceness of the mods and admins. Just remember that. Stop attacking posters.

Last edited:
You think tanny is gonna restructure after this year of garbage can worthy qb play?

Nope. And even more nope when his salary is a bargain by qb standards once the market flies off the handle for Kirk Cousins this offseason
If he comes back 100% healthy (physically and psychologically) he will restructure if asked. Extension of the contract and increased guaranteed money. Absolutely he will.

You save only $3.9M by cutting or trading him this year, whereas you save a boatload more doing the same next year.

Then again, teams will know that next year, and so this may be the last year in which you can get anything at all for him in trade. If you try trading him next year, teams may just wait around for him to be cut, knowing you are willing to part with him and want to save the money.

I'd trade him for even a low-round pick this offseason.

Trade him? lol

You don't trade the cap hit. That bonus money cap hit gets accelerated and we still take the "dead cap hit" essentially. It is slightly better than cutting him because you get something back but he is worth more than a "low round" pick to us . . . considering we still would be paying for him.

It is a year early to even thing about making any move with Suh. Even 2019 is tough but it is more realistic than 2018 and you get a look at his play level for another year.

Yeah, it's not quite that simple with the salary cap. Suh is pretty low on my list of guys to cut this off-season.

I'd start with:

1. Pouncey
2. Pouncey
3. J. Thomas

If he comes back 100% healthy (physically and psychologically) he will restructure if asked. Extension of the contract and increased guaranteed money. Absolutely he will.

I think a restructure will be a tougher negotiation than anticipated.

Miami has to put some sort of injury provision in any type of extension with Ryan Tannehill. The contract is Miami friendly right now. Will Ryan agree to one?

That said it makes sense to try, because if you are confident in his recovery there is no better chance to get him extended at a advantageous rate than this offseason.

I expect something done to his contract this offseason.

Yeah, it's not quite that simple with the salary cap. Suh is pretty low on my list of guys to cut this off-season.

I'd start with:

1. Pouncey
2. Pouncey
3. J. Thomas

I think the potential surprise cut could be Cam Wake (maybe cut is a bad word . . . But Trade or some sort of contract movement). Nearly 9 million saved and only a 500k dead cap hit. We completely misused him this year and he isn't winning 1 v 1 like we are accustomed to. The lack of a bye hasn't helped either and you see Miami utilizing him mainly in pass rush downs now. Would be shocked if that contract goes untouched

Thomas we have leverage. We may not see something done for a while, but he definitely is a candidate.

Still unsure on Pouncey, Gase loves him. And although he took steps back this year that contract for the previous player is reasonable. I think he is a 2018 Dolphin.

Juwan James extension is likely, and it will crumble the 5th year guarantee currently on the 2018 cap. We'll gain at least 5 or 6 million there.

I think Jessie Davis at guard is the want, but if he kills at RT to finish the year maybe something on James changes.

Parker gets 5th year option placed on him for 2019 with rescind potential.

Last edited:
While Tannehill shined last season once the Gase system kicked in, several of FH's comparative "poster boys" who were held up against him as in "we could do better" by T-Hill detractors including Winston, Mariota, Carr, Prescott, have not fared too well compared to that run. In all fairness, just like it was with Tannehill in the past saddled with the worst rated OLs, questionable available receivers and bi-polar rushing attacks, it's certainly not all on these guys either. However a case can be made that once Prescott lost Zeke and no longer protected by an elite OL, he was a different QB until he regained some of that juju once Dallas' RB tandem started to become effective and his line protected him better.

With the exception of Baker Mayfield who like Jamal Adams, exudes the unique and valued "It Factor" to become a respected leader and winner wherever he ends up, I agree with the poster who opined that none of these QBs coming out now are as good as a healthy Tannehill... but of course that's "the rub"

As a matter of fact, since Tannehill's draft an argument can be made that at this point only Wilson and Luck are better QBs. Cousins IMO, is at best comparable and Garoppolo looks impressive as hell but it's only 2 games, very little tape in Shanahan's system so not really relevant as a benchmark.

Back
Top Bottom