so are we ready to shed millions? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

so are we ready to shed millions?

And neither do any of those plays contribute to their personal performance statistics. There isn't a pass thrown when there is a sack.

Wrong.

It is important to note that the DVOA numbers listed below do not represent each individual quarterback's passing DVOA, as seen here. Instead, this rating represents team offensive DVOA with this quarterback either passing (including sacks) or scrambling.

Russell Wilson was 5 foot 11 and he lasted til the 3rd round as a result...many teams even dismissed him at that height as did I...had he been taller he would have been more in consideration for an earlier pick and he went 3rd round despite large hands...obviously wilsons success is gonna help the shorter guys just like deshaun watsons success is gonna help the zone read and pistol and guys that have limited pocket progression and coverage read ability

noted...

mayfields hand size may well determine if teams dismiss him or view him as an nfl qb option period but that height number is where teams that don't dismiss him and given the need there will be plenty regardless willing to take the chance will gauge just where they have to get in the draft to get him...

im not talking huge differences in pick numbers here though just more top 15 vs top 25 etc...not 3rd round to first round...I think the ships sailed given team need and his play on any mid 2nd round baker Mayfield still being on the board. be it 6 foot 1 or 5 foot 11 and 1/2 although the latter is gonna have some teams maybe second guessing themselves...

and with this current cba and controlling qbs dirt cheap for 5 years should you pick up the option why wouldn't a team that doesn't have a qb take a chance on one in the first round and gain that 5th year option leverage

and I also think you are gonna see a little bit of pause with regards to the college style offense he comes from but nothing like it used to be in that regard and nfl teams are much more willing to tailor their offenses to the qb skill set than they used to be...where it was a lot of my way or the highway...

Last edited:
I wonder if a certain poster even actually watches the games.
1- Dolphins Rushing attack ranked 30th
2- Dolphins defense ranked 29th
3- Dolphins o line ranked 30th
Now with that being said we still went 10 and 6.

Last edited:
Wrong.

It is important to note that the DVOA numbers listed below do not represent each individual quarterback's passing DVOA, as seen here. Instead, this rating represents team offensive DVOA with this quarterback either passing (including sacks) or scrambling.

Then that isn’t a personal performance statistic.

Maybe you haven't noticed but the popularity of the league is trending down. Attendance is down at games, viewership is down on TV...highly doubt they will increase the cap by any significant amount, if at all, this year. The kneeling for the flag, horrible refs, injuries to key players like Aaron Rodgers...all factors for the popularity of the sport going down.

Maybe you don't understand how the cap works. I guarantee the salary cap will go up. I'll bump this post in March when its announced if you'd like.

And neither do any of those plays contribute to their personal performance statistics. There isn't a pass thrown when there is a sack.

I should have been clearer. I was not referring to the stats, only the reality of our situation.

This was something coach Forrest Gregg said when he joined the Bengals in the 1970's and was asked what he was going to do about the QB situation. He added some incredible lineman and in his second year they went to the super bowl.

Reactions: <O>
No way Pouncey is back. This team is in cap hell and can't afford, quite literally, to keep an average at best center around for 8+ million.
The team is up for a major overhaul this offseason. Though I would hate it, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tannehill gone. Both the knee and contract could be reason enough to try something else even though I don't QB getting much better no matter what they try.
They may very well let Wake go if he doesn't retire, too. Just way too much money concentrated so few players and Miami can't afford it both as a competitive team stand point, and salary cap wise.

Question is....is it Gase that gets to pick all the new guys to rebuild with? And if it is, and things go south, Does Ross fire him like with Philbin on a short leash? The next 10 years start during this offseason with so many important decisions looming.

http://www.nfl.com/labs/cfb247/baker-mayfield/baker-mayfield

Key thing for me at least being he maintains his eye level when flushed or moved off the spot. And that’s a lot like Russell wilson.

That’s a definite separation from Manziel whose eye level dropped and just tried to outflank pro athletes and learned that his college ability to turn the corner wasn’t there in the pros.

Where does he have a DUI? He was arrested in Fayetteville for public intoxication, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest - deservedly so, when he was drunk out of his mind.and allegedly being questioned as a witness in a fight he claims he tried to break up....all misdemeanors. That had nothing to do with driving and that seems to be the only legal infraction he's had.

You're right, it wasn't DUI. My mistake. And public intoxication + disorderly conduct + resisting arrest is still a black mark on a potential face of the franchise's resume, but it's a lot different from DUI.

I'm not sure if I buy the hand size argument, personally. I look at it like this, your four key ingredients of a quarterback are arm talent, accuracy, decision-making (i.e. ability to process information quickly) and play-making ability.

Can the player make throws to threaten NFL defenses? Yes. Can he deliver the football accurately to fit it into tight windows or create RAC opportunities? Yes. Can he escape trouble and throw on the run? Yes. Can he operate Adam Gase's very complex pro style offense? I have no ****ing clue. And neither does anyone else, and that's why I think there are gonna be some really disappointed Dolphins fans here who think Miami is the only team interested in that kid.

My prediction is that we draft a quarterback between rounds 3 and 5, and that the two biggest things we're going to look for are brains and accuracy. It's going to be a boring, safe pick for a guy to ease in as the backup.

You're right, it wasn't DUI. My mistake. And public intoxication + disorderly conduct + resisting arrest is still a black mark on a potential face of the franchise's resume, but it's a lot different from DUI.

I'm not sure if I buy the hand size argument, personally. I look at it like this, your four key ingredients of a quarterback are arm talent, accuracy, decision-making (i.e. ability to process information quickly) and play-making ability.

Can the player make throws to threaten NFL defenses? Yes. Can he deliver the football accurately to fit it into tight windows or create RAC opportunities? Yes. Can he escape trouble and throw on the run? Yes. Can he operate Adam Gase's very complex pro style offense? I have no ****ing clue. And neither does anyone else, and that's why I think there are gonna be some really disappointed Dolphins fans here who think Miami is the only team interested in that kid.

My prediction is that we draft a quarterback between rounds 3 and 5, and that the two biggest things we're going to look for are brains and accuracy. It's going to be a boring, safe pick for a guy to ease in as the backup.

Just on a spot check, for starters: there are sizable contingents of Jets and Bills fans also clamoring for him..

SI's Albert Breer spoke with on AFC scouting director who believes Oklahoma senior QB Baker Mayfield is not similar to Johnny Manziel because the Sooner "studies his *** off."
This was backed up by another scouting director stating Mayfield knows where he is going with the football at any part of the progressions thanks to his knowledge and preparation, which is different than many failed quarterbacks. The comparison will pop up due to Mayfield's height and success outside of structure. For many, a shorter frame is viewed as a major negative. "I don’t think it’s a problem for Baker," one NFL executive concluded.

I'd be ok with drafting a QB with our first round pick but I have a gut feeling that we won't. Hard to tell at this point what the team will do of course but I'd not be surprised if they go defense in the first round as crazy as that might sound

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom