so are we ready to shed millions? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

so are we ready to shed millions?

Here was the original statement:

Considering only whether he would "help Miami" as you put it neglects to consider a good bit of other information included in that statement.

I'll readily agree that he would help Miami. In fact I stated such above, when I noted that he would've likely contributed three to four wins to this year's team.
Are you saying that with Smith at QB we'd have won 3 or 4 more games this year but if with Tannehill our record would still be the same as it is now?

Ozzy rules!!

Are you saying that with Smith at QB we'd have won 3 or 4 more games this year but if with Tannehill our record would still be the same as it is now?

Ozzy rules!!
He has said that Tannehill would only add 1 to 2 more games.

Because the damn tanny tape says there shouldn’t be.

Hell you got people here thinking we may keep cutler and cut tanny.

Despite the rancid qb tape this year. I just don’t get it

Do you see Fales as a possibility next year. RT will return next year but Gase must improve if both return in 19 IMO

Ozzy rules!!

No -- at Tannehill's level of performance he sustained for a good stretch last year (passer rating just above 100), the team would've very likely won three more games this year than with Cutler/Moore.

With Smith that figure might've increased to four, given that Smith's level of performance this year is a decent bit higher than Tannehill's was last year.

Any team can open up a boatload of cap space by cutting every player that offers up some cap savings. That's not magic, and it doesn't mean we are in great shape in terms of the cap. If you make the sensible cuts and keep the players we should, we are only going to have between $10 and $20 million to play with after paying for the draft class and signing lesser vets to finish out the 2018 roster. Not that much scratch in terms of NFL free agency. People were talking about all the cash we were gonna have to use in free agency this past off season, and the guys we brought in were Timmons, Larsen, Fasano, a half of McDonald, and ultimately Jay Cutler. The money spent on Cutler was cash they had budgeted for carrying over into 2018.

No -- at Tannehill's level of performance he sustained for a good stretch last year (passer rating just above 100), the team would've very likely won three more games this year than with Cutler/Moore.

When you say that, are you referring to 3 more total wins on the season, or 3 more wins than what we currently have?

sorry if you've already detailed that somewhere

When you say that, are you referring to 3 more total wins on the season, or 3 more wins than what we currently have?

sorry if you've already detailed that somewhere

Based on the way the team is currently functioning, its expected record for a season would be 4-12/5-11.

With Tannehill playing the way he did last year for the stretch of good play he sustained for a while, the expected record for this year's team -- with all else equal -- would be 7-9/8-8.

Do you see Fales as a possibility next year. RT will return next year but Gase must improve if both return in 19 IMO

I've only seen fales throw one pass in a regular season game...albeit it was a good one...

but I have nothing to even try and measure the player on...that would be gase and the staff that sees him every day in practice and camp...I bet he gets less than 5 reps though in game week prep...all scout team work unless hes the 2 deep that week which still means he gets little to no reps...

Here are my player boundaries.
Tannehill and Suh may restructure, but they WILL be back as starters.
Kiko and Branch will be back,
James and Pouncey may restructure, though I think both will be back, depending on play of their backups. I'm inclined both will restructure or be gone.
Wake may retire - he's not the same player, and his value in a trade is small.
Anyone in the $1mm or less group won't be cut for cap space.
Landry takes ~$10mm or he's gone.

Pouncey will be gone. Why pay him when you can draft the top rated center in the second round? Even if he restructures he would heave to accept a back-up roll, don't see that happening.
Kiko and Branch may be back, only because of their contracts, not necessarily because of play.
James is gone, Davis will take that spot over on the cheap for the next 2 years (no restructure offered, imo).
Wish we could cut Suh and get the 28 million that he is scheduled to make in '18. Nope (thanks Tannebaum), he'll be back. I like the player, but not at that cost!
Tanny is some what of a wild card, not exactly sure what Miami's plans are at the QB position. I am not opposed to staying with Tanny, I also wouldn't mind spending that $ on Cousins instead.

Cut Tannehill, save $15 million, and sign a vet QB for $20 million? Makes no sense unless that vet QB is an All Pro and that's not happening.

Pouncey will be gone. Why pay him when you can draft the top rated center in the second round? Even if he restructures he would heave to accept a back-up roll, don't see that happening.
Kiko and Branch may be back, only because of their contracts, not necessarily because of play.
James is gone, Davis will take that spot over on the cheap for the next 2 years (no restructure offered, imo).
Wish we could cut Suh and get the 28 million that he is scheduled to make in '18. Nope (thanks Tannebaum), he'll be back. I like the player, but not at that cost!
Tanny is some what of a wild card, not exactly sure what Miami's plans are at the QB position. I am not opposed to staying with Tanny, I also wouldn't mind spending that $ on Cousins instead.
I agree with you when it comes to Pouncey and James that it'd be the best thing to do. However, that doesn't mean our FO will do it. See, it makes sense to do what you're suggesting but when was the last time our FO did something that made sense?

Ozzy rules!!

I think people should just forget about Cousins coming here. Tannehill will be the starter unless we draft a QB in the first round that comes in and beats him for the job. 99.9% sure that we're not starting a free agent QB unless there's another injury to Tanny. I have no problem starting him and I have no problem drafting a QB high. I'd have a problem bringing in a guy for 20mill a year

Ozzy rules!!

I would LIKE Pouncey gone, but Gase apparently loves him. Thus, my inclination towards restructure. James can't get big money anywhere else, thus, gone or pay cut

Back
Top Bottom