so are we ready to shed millions? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

so are we ready to shed millions?

If you're cutting or trading Tannehill, doing some or all of those other things, and ending up with all that money, you should go ahead and pay Kirk Cousins what he's likely to make and have one of the best QBs in the league, rather than getting a roughly average QB with $20M.

LOL.

Cut Tannehill, save $15 million, and sign a vet QB for $20 million? Makes no sense unless that vet QB is an All Pro and that's not happening.
it actually does make sense if you have reached the ceiling with Tannehill. Not my call

it actually does make sense if you have reached the ceiling with Tannehill. Not my call
How can we say that after we saw him improving under Gase every week before his injury? He definitely hasn't hit his ceiling

The thing about RT, is no matter what, we don't know if his knee will stand the test of time. Miami should do themselves a favor and add real competition to the position

The thing about RT, is no matter what, we don't know if his knee will stand the test of time. Miami should do themselves a favor and add real competition to the position
That i think we all agree on. But i think in the form of a draft choice not a high paid vet

There’s no injury feared more in football than the dreaded ACL tear. It’s at least one season missed these days, which isn’t too bad considering it used to be a career-threatening diagnosis.

Now NFL athletes are expected to make full recoveries, no matter what position they may play. Quarterbacks do not suffer the injury very often, but the track record for recovery has been very good. That’s good news for both Vikings and Ravens fans. Joe Flacco will start the 2016 season after tearing his ACL last November, and Minnesota hopes Teddy Bridgewater will be able to get back on the field for 2017 after suffering his injury this week during practice.
Tom Brady, 2008
bradyrating.png

Post-injury Brady hasn’t reached the dazzling heights he did before tearing his ACL, but his supporting cast is a big reason why. If you gave today’s Brady Randy Moss and Wes Welker in their prime, he’d be just as productive as he was in 2007. Brady actually looks more mobile now than he ever did before the injury.
Sam Bradford, 2013 and 2014
bradfordrating1.png

We’re still in the wait-and-see stages with Bradford. Last season was his first back after suffering ACL tears in 2013 and 2014. He showed some serious signs of rust early on before improving over the second half. We’ll know a lot more about Bradford’s recovery after 2016.
Carson Palmer, 2014
palmerrating.png

Palmer’s late-career renaissance was just getting underway when he suffered the second ACL injury of his career. It did not take him nearly as long for him to find his form the second time around. He posted career bests in passer rating, yards and touchdowns for the Cardinals in 2015. Of course, having the best supporting cast in football certainly helped him bounce back.

I think he'll be just fine ....

Last edited:
Like Nick said, I agree too but we should draft a QB instead of spending 20mill in one that'd have to come in and learn a new system. Yes I know a rookie would have to learn a new system too but he'd be younger and cheaper

Ozzy rules!!

This is how I see our QB situation and its effect on the cap.

First consideration is who will we have in the QB positions:

1) We have Tannehill as QB. There is no scenario I see with him leaving.
2) I remember Cutler as being on a one year contract. There is no reason to believe we will bring him back.
3) Moore is a serviceable backup QB and will probably be back, but I suspect we will look for a replacement backup QB over the next two years.
4) Fales is here as a stop gap measure at QB. Unless he shows himself to be much better than Doughty, he will probably be released.
5) With either Fales or Doughty as our 3rd string QB, I believe we will try to bring in QB competition thru the draft every 2 or 3 years, determined by the quality of QB's available vs. other positional demands of this team. Hopefully one of these men will rise to the position of backup QB, allowing us to develop a new 3rd string QB. I look forward to eventually seeing the Dolphins draft and grow our own 1st string QB.

This should leave us at the same level of QB expense as last year plus any increase in those salaries, unless Tannehill restructures his contract with us, which I hope would actually reduce our QB cost vs. the cap. Because of all this, I feel our expenses at this position are under pretty good control.

This is how I see our QB situation and its effect on the cap.

First consideration is who will we have in the QB positions:

1) We have Tannehill as QB. There is no scenario I see with him leaving.
2) I remember Cutler as being on a one year contract. There is no reason to believe we will bring him back.
3) Moore is a serviceable backup QB and will probably be back, but I suspect we will look for a replacement backup QB over the next two years.
4) Fales is here as a stop gap measure at QB. Unless he shows himself to be much better than Doughty, he will probably be released.
5) With either Fales or Doughty as our 3rd string QB, I believe we will try to bring in QB competition thru the draft every 2 or 3 years, determined by the quality of QB's available vs. other positional demands of this team. Hopefully one of these men will rise to the position of backup QB, allowing us to develop a new 3rd string QB. I look forward to eventually seeing the Dolphins draft and grow our own 1st string QB.

This should leave us at the same level of QB expense as last year plus any increase in those salaries, unless Tannehill restructures his contract with us, which I hope would actually reduce our QB cost vs. the cap. Because of all this, I feel our expenses at this position are under pretty good control.

I agree, except I expect Gase to kick tires on a Moore replacement.

Back
Top Bottom