Sports Agent David Canter predicts QB Ryan Tannehill will start opening day | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sports Agent David Canter predicts QB Ryan Tannehill will start opening day

can't win the job if you don't get snaps with the 1's...who's agent is david canter anyways??? b/t i wouldn't pay attention to anything anyone here says regarding who the qb will be as an absolute at this point...

ha ha...and now this guy above me says your tanking the season if you let tannehill start...too much

If he blows away the competition then why not? But otherwise, we've got two competent QBs, who could well be better than anyone in the division not named "Brady" who justify being under center on opening day. Baptism by fire, especially until the OL gels is not necessarily always the way to go... just ask David Carr.

I would tell you that Garrard and Moore are the 2nd and 3rd best QBs in the division but I don't want the thread to get hijacked.

Ever since Tannehill arrived at camp Garrard & Moore have begun looking like average QBs next to him, wait to more camp reports come out later on today

Based on a tweet that Omar Kelly sent because that's the only bad word I have read?

I'm curious to see how they split up time in the first and second preseason games. This is a new NFL, it isn't a a given a rookie like sits a year. Look around at all the rookie QBs that came in a started right away. Stay open minded...

20 snaps each for Garrard and Moore in the first game.

Honestly if this kid nearing mid preseason gets any where near matt or david skill wise....you start him. I mean I know he is new and still has a lot to experience but you don't learn the game by sitting on the bench. You get out there and play the game. Practice can not replicate game type experiences. However if it is a noticeable gap between him and garrard/ moore than go with one of those two. I really would like to see him start. It would make me feel we are on the right track.

At first I thought Canter might have an invested interest in Tannehill.. but I believe he's being truly unbiased. Preseason games will show us everything we need to know. I would be surprised if Tannehill is truly ready for the season opener.

By what Im reading Im starting to get the feeling Tannehill has made Garrard & Moore look for what they really are, average QBs. If the talent level between Garrard, Moore & THill is the same, than THill needs to start cause of his upside. He can learn on the fly. Clearly there has not been a #Dolphins QB to really separate himself from the pack, still very early. To be continued....

Now I will say this ever since THill arrived, the only QB everyone is raving about is, THill.

david carr wasn't half the athlete ryan tannehill...especially from a mobility stand point...and he had an awful oline...david garrard and matt moore aren't getting out of anything with their legs that ryan tannehill can't i can tell ya that...only difference i see there is garrards more likely to recognize and account for free rushers...maybe...tanny knows the o as well as either of these vets...more film study more field time no reason he can't adjust and also no reason given his tools he can't make the opposition pay for it...

[FONT=&amp]He is more accurate when there is no pass rush but from everything I've read he is still struggling under pressure when live bullets are firing and thats what matters the most. I still think it is best to let Garrard start and maybe he can have the same effect that pennington did in 08.[/FONT]

everything you read, or ONE thing you read?

Ok, I don't think they are lying, but I see it as Tannehill has more to do to win the Job than Moore/Garrard. He is a rookie, he is raw and we open to a tough team on the road. Even if he plays better than the two in camp/pre season, I just see it as the safest option is to put Moore or Garrard in. During the season, I could easily see Tannehill starting though, just not week 1. :)

Daz, I wish I knew more about how Matt Ryan and Joe Flaco became starters for their teams in their rookie year. Did they have solid veteran competition during their rookie training camps? Were they sooooo impressive that their coaches HAD to start them? Was the decision influenced by the front office's need to show their fans they'd made the right decision in the draft? I don't know. I think it was likely a combination of all three possibilities. And if that's the case, why wouldn't the Dolphins maybe do the same? Philbin said in a press conference the other day that as a HC, there is NO set formula for making that decision. He mentioned both Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers as examples of positive outcomes for both possibilities. He indicated he could go either way with it depending on the circumstances that develop during camp. I think its very possible that Tannehill could start for the dolphins in game 1, if not likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly if this kid nearing mid preseason gets any where near matt or david skill wise....you start him. I mean I know he is new and still has a lot to experience but you don't learn the game by sitting on the bench. You get out there and play the game. Practice can not replicate game type experiences. However if it is a noticeable gap between him and garrard/ moore than go with one of those two. I really would like to see him start. It would make me feel we are on the right track.
I agree. if by week 3 preseason there's no real big gap between tannehill and the two vets then why wouldn't you start tannehill. That's why I think he ends up starting week 1, I think at this point tannehill is already more physically talented to Moore and Gerard that and knowing the system will close that gap quickly

david carr wasn't half the athlete ryan tannehill...especially from a mobility stand point...and he had an awful oline...david garrard and matt moore aren't getting out of anything with their legs that ryan tannehill can't i can tell ya that...only difference i see there is garrards more likely to recognize and account for free rushers...maybe...tanny knows the o as well as either of these vets...more film study more field time no reason he can't adjust and also no reason given his tools he can't make the opposition pay for it...

Garrard has looked pretty mobile out there, & I believe even rushed for a TD the other day. While I understand the point you are trying to make that THill is a very athletic QB & probably the most athletic QB the Fins have right, the old man still has some wheels on him.

i think flaccos the right comparison not from a playing stand point but from the where he supposedly had to sit for a year or two before he should play...all he did was lead the ravens to the postseason and win i think it was 2 games when he got there his rookie year...

and he's a much more statue at the position than ryan tannehill is...i just don't get the let the kid marinate on the bench stuff...especially for david garrard or matt moore...not if the competitions close

Jeff Ireland has said in the past if he has an old guy and and a younger guy fighting for a spot and it's even close then he's starting the young guy.

Back
Top Bottom