Sports Agent David Canter predicts QB Ryan Tannehill will start opening day | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sports Agent David Canter predicts QB Ryan Tannehill will start opening day

i think flaccos the right comparison not from a playing stand point but from the where he supposedly had to sit for a year or two before he should play...all he did was lead the ravens to the postseason and win i think it was 2 games when he got there his rookie year...

and he's a much more statue at the position than ryan tannehill is...i just don't get the let the kid marinate on the bench stuff...especially for david garrard or matt moore...not if the competitions close
For me it's more than just letting him sit and get acclimated to the speed of the game as well as learning the little nuances of playing the QB position. It's about setting him up for success and not failure. Where is his go-to receiver? Is the right side of the O-line good enough so that he's not having to run for his life all the time? Can our running game take the pressure off of him if he's struggling (and he will struggle)? Can the defense get him the ball and keep games close?

Flacco had to start unexpectedly his rookie season cause the starting QB that year got hurt in camp...but Flacco had all those elements I mentioned. Great defense, great running game with McClain, McGahee and Rice, go-to receiver in Derrick Mason (who wasn't in the QBs ear all the time like Chad Johnson will be) and a safety valve TE in Todd Heap. Compare what was around Flacco as a rookie to what's around Tannehill and you'll see the disadvantage you'd be putting Tannehill in over Flacco. Same with Matt Ryan who had Tony Gonzalez, Roddy White, Michael Turner, a good O-line blocking for him and a very good defense. I just don't see those weapons around Tannehill. There was a reason the Colts went heavy on offense after drafting Luck...they want to set him up for success...Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, T.Y. Hilton, Vick Ballard (who I really like), LaVon Brazill in addition to Reggie Wayne and Donald Brown (who'll be used properly this year)...is putting a lot of weapons around your franchise QB.

Unlikely he will beat out GARRARD.. But this is what to expect from a client's agent. He's just doing his job..

For me it's more than just letting him sit and get acclimated to the speed of the game as well as learning the little nuances of playing the QB position. It's about setting him up for success and not failure. Where is his go-to receiver? Is the right side of the O-line good enough so that he's not having to run for his life all the time? Can our running game take the pressure off of him if he's struggling (and he will struggle)? Can the defense get him the ball and keep games close?

Flacco had to start unexpectedly his rookie season cause the starting QB that year got hurt in camp...but Flacco had all those elements I mentioned. Great defense, great running game with McClain, McGahee and Rice, go-to receiver in Derrick Mason (who wasn't in the QBs ear all the time like Chad Johnson will be) and a safety valve TE in Todd Heap. Compare what was around Flacco as a rookie to what's around Tannehill and you'll see the disadvantage you'd be putting Tannehill in over Flacco. Same with Matt Ryan who had Tony Gonzalez, Roddy White, Michael Turner, a good O-line blocking for him and a very good defense. I just don't see those weapons around Tannehill. There was a reason the Colts went heavy on offense after drafting Luck...they want to set him up for success...Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, T.Y. Hilton, Vick Ballard (who I really like), LaVon Brazill in addition to Reggie Wayne and Donald Brown (who'll be used properly this year)...is putting a lot of weapons around your franchise QB.

no doubt flacco had more around him...a stout d etc but flacco also was learning a new offense...this is the same o for the most part tannys played with for 2 years...i think the lack of wr talent which is a legit thing we do lack it is gonna be offset with the scheme etc some...so while i think we need to upgrade it and bad at that i don't think it's quite as bad as we think...and we all know that the backs and te's are gonna be featured to offset the wrs some...the speed of the game seems to be slowing down for him already from otas to training camp i don't see why that can't continue...i don't see why this learning curve can't continue on the upswing...

it's david garrard and matt moore truth...you want to go into this season with your ceiling as mediocre...play them...i don't operate like that...i don't buy any "you'll ruin him for life if you put him out there too early" stuff either...imo they got to bite as pups...

Thanks for filling us in on the situations faced by Ryan and Flacco starting their rookie years. If we compare them to the situation at Davie this year, then I'd have to say its not likely RT will start to begin the season. However, if some of our positional unknowns get resolved in positive ways and Philbin thinks RT has what it will take, we might see RT somewhere down the road this year.

Unlikely he will beat out GARRARD.. But this is what to expect from a client's agent. He's just doing his job..

David Canter is not the agent of Ryan Tannehill, he is the agent of Paul Soliai, Sean Smith, Legedu Naanee & Derrick Shelby.

David Canter is not the agent of Ryan Tannehill, he is the agent of Paul Soliai, Sean Smith, Legedu Naanee & Derrick Shelby.

in other words he has no horse in this race and no vested interest...which imo means he's more likely to give you a straight up answer for what he sees...

in other words he has no horse in this race and no vested interest...which imo means he's more likely to give you a straight up answer for what he sees...

Correct. THill has looked impressive no doubt, but Garrard has separated himself from all the QBs & I expect him to start opening day.

Correct. THill has looked impressive no doubt, but Garrard has separated himself from all the QBs & I expect him to start opening day.

And welcome back to the board.............

no doubt flacco had more around him...a stout d etc but flacco also was learning a new offense...this is the same o for the most part tannys played with for 2 years...i think the lack of wr talent which is a legit thing we do lack it is gonna be offset with the scheme etc some...so while i think we need to upgrade it and bad at that i don't think it's quite as bad as we think...and we all know that the backs and te's are gonna be featured to offset the wrs some...the speed of the game seems to be slowing down for him already from otas to training camp i don't see why that can't continue...i don't see why this learning curve can't continue on the upswing...

it's david garrard and matt moore truth...you want to go into this season with your ceiling as mediocre...play them...i don't operate like that...i don't buy any "you'll ruin him for life if you put him out there too early" stuff either...imo they got to bite as pups...
He's biting IMO...but I like the approach the coaching staff is using. Seems Tannehill makes a little jump after each time off...after he's had some time to digest and evaluate his own play he takes another step but that's a process that's happening naturally and I don't want them to force it on Tannehill. There's no question he has more upside than Garrard and Moore and if he gets to the point where he's reading defenses and making adjustments pre and post snap then I'm all for letting him roll out there. But he has yet to face a defense that has game planned for him...that's an entirely different world on this level. We've all seen QBs that have shined in preseason and then in the regular season get completely blown up. Lets not get ahead of ourselves here, the reports have been great, sounds like he's throwing with good velocity, accuracy and anticipation which is everything we've been missing around here but the mental aspect of the NFL is a huge bear to wrestle.

I'm with the coaching staff on slowly easing him in. Philbin was there when they brought Aaron Rodgers along and anyone who evaluated Rodgers before the draft and again when he became starter will tell you that he made a huge leap in his play. Right now Tannehill is having success and that success is building confidence and everyday they give him a little more to work on and he'll continue to have success and build confidence until he finally reaches the point where they say he's ready. He'll end up getting 20 or so snaps in the first preseason game, lets see how he does against 3rd stringers before we throw him in the fire.

Canter is probably trying to set give his client Naanee the best QB to throw to him. Naanee is on a one year deal and Canter knows Naanee will produce better numbers with Tannehill as the QB. I was at practice today and you can CLEARLY see Tannehill is the most talented QB out there. I dare any of you to go watch a practice and say otherwise.

Canter is probably trying to set give his client Naanee the best QB to throw to him. Naanee is on a one year deal and Canter knows Naanee will produce better numbers with Tannehill as the QB. I was at practice today and you can CLEARLY see Tannehill is the most talented QB out there. I dare any of you to go watch a practice and say otherwise.

care to give us your take on what you see??? also should tanny be getting reps with the 1's in your opinion off what you see on the field???

Let Thill start. The great ones figure it out.

If it is anywhere near close RT should start. Were paying him $8M for the season. Moore is being paid 3.75M and Garrard 3.35M.

Either Moore and Garrard would save us around $3M vs cap if cut. That makes room to pickup another skilled player.
Either way RT should be 2nd string and one of the Moore/garrard combo should go.

No need to spend over $15M for the QB position when you don't have a top 10 QB. well maybe we do in RT but he needs to start to find out.

Back
Top Bottom