Sports Agent David Canter predicts QB Ryan Tannehill will start opening day | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sports Agent David Canter predicts QB Ryan Tannehill will start opening day

my thoughts as well...i think if garrards health holds up he sticks as the vet presence backup if he doesn't win the job for tannehill...i think moore goes one way or another...b/t where did you get the $8 mil number for tannehill this year??? if thats the case we are front loading the heck out of the contract which should help us down the road if we cut him eat little to no money...

$7.6M was the signing bonus and 400k salary. My bad. He is essesntially being paid 8M for this season but I guess he would only count around $2.5M against the cap.
So I guess we only have about $10M against the cap for this season on the QB position.

Usually in the NFL when you are getting that much of a signing bonus you are expected to play.

$7.6M was the signing bonus and 400k salary. My bad. He is essesntially being paid 8M for this season but I guess he would only count around $2.5M against the cap.
So I guess we only have about $10M against the cap for this season on the QB position.

Usually in the NFL when you are getting that much of a signing bonus you are expected to play.

Interesting though how cheap the salaries for keeping all 3.

id be lying if i said that i have seen how good/bad the qbs have looked so far in camp because i have not seen any footage really, but whomever is starting on opening day for us week 1, i will be happy.

if moore or garrard are starting, let it be, if tanne is our starter, that means he prob played exceptionally well in pre season game action and deserved it.

ill be excited to watch week 1 whether its garrard, moore, or tannehill. ill also be happy that these are the 3 options as opposed to the guy half of finheaven wanted this offseason in matt flynn. May the best qb win and lead us to success this year.

IMO the coaches are trying to settle who is better between Gerrard and Moore first. That's why they are getting most of the reps with he 1st team right now. I expect that battle to have full clarity after this weekends scrimmage. Once that is settled I think we will see the winner of that battle compete with Tannehill for the starting job for the rest of the preseason and we will see Tanny get his opportunities with the 1's.

As far as what I see? I see everything Canter said. I see a smart QB that has traits you can't teach such as accuracy, ball placement, anticipation. I see a guy with better awareness and instincts than the other QB's. The only negative I have seen is that he is rushing his reads when he gets blitzed but that is something that can be easily corrected the more he plays. As far as talent though, the kid has it.

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. They are not going to "settle out" who is better between Gerrard and Moore and then start giving RT a bunch of snaps with the 1's. Once they settle on who is the starter, the others are going to see very few snaps with the 1's. You don't do QB competitions in "multiple parts." You let everyone have a shot at first, and then you settle quickly as possible on the starter, and then after that the others are just backups and get few snaps with the 1's.

I just don't see your "two part" scenario playing out.

Re Wallace: I dont see anything special but you can see he has gotten a little better from last year. He looks like he runs his routes at a quicker pace. His hands look better. However, he doesn't get targeted often which tells me he might have trouble creating separation. I'll try to focus on him more, even when the ball doesn't come his way.

Re Tanny: Man, that's a loaded question. I'll say this. Talent wise, yes, franchise QB material. But I won't go there yet. We need to see how he leads, how he overcomes mistakes, how resilient he is, how many times he can pull out wins in 4th quarters. I guess the only way to find that out is by letting him play. So is he a franchise QB? I'll get back to you on that one....lol.

let me know if i'm bugging ya cause if you don't i'll keep asking...ha ha...on that note reshad jones hows he look as far as angles to the ball and communication??? is he in the action a lot defending the passing game...any jimmy wilson thoughts???

Interesting though how cheap the salaries for keeping all 3.

well at least we got that right and don't have any of these veteran qbs making any real money...that said i agree with you pretty cheap for all 3 relative to the position around the league...still think moore or garrard and all signs point to moore imo goes and we put that money to use elsewhere at some point

let me know if i'm bugging ya cause if you don't i'll keep asking...ha ha...on that note reshad jones hows he look as far as angles to the ball and communication??? is he in the action a lot defending the passing game...any jimmy wilson thoughts???

Not bugging me at all man. Ask away. Nothing beats talking about the fins this time of the year. Jimmy Wilson has been a nice surprise at Safety. I'm surprised the beat writers aren't noticing him more. His instincts are off the chart, especially defending the run from that position. In coverage he's making plays. Didn't really focus in on him today as much as I did on Sunday but he really impressed me Sunday. Reminds me of Bob Sanders. Short guy bit always hunting heads. As far as communication I haven't really noticed from the stands but he seems to usually be in position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and Jones, honestly I haven't honed in on him but there was a time when I thought to my self his reaction to breaking on the throw looks better.

Pretty sure it will take more than a week of camp to figure this one out.

Correct. THill has looked impressive no doubt, but Garrard has separated himself from all the QBs & I expect him to start opening day.

I do too. What I see reading between the lines is he is more ready to run the hurry up O. I see Moore being traded to San Diego even if he does have the nicest long ball. I see Tannehill getting to prove himself and he will be thrown to the wolves by game 3 in preseason. If he passes that test, which is still tough to do at that point, then that changes things but I think Garrard is the one who will be able to consistently run the new O in quick fashion like Philbin wants.

BTW, I read today that Moore and Garrard are getting 20 plays a piece in preseason. They didnt say anything about Thill. Telling?

Back
Top Bottom