Sports Business Journal..Ross' company bidding on LA stadium? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sports Business Journal..Ross' company bidding on LA stadium?

Bring back the Pottsville Maroons, the true 1925 NFL champions.

As for the Amish Mafia, here in Pennsylvania we laugh at how fake that show is and how gullible people are. I have watched a few episodes and it is entertaining to watch. Very fake, but still fun to watch.

You can call them the Blazin Buggy Bandits it has a nice ring!

AEG is not a "stadium in LA"

So all you people freaking out are just LOLable. AEG is NOT to move a team to LA.

Ross wants more money AEG will give him more money.

Ross will own this if he succeeds in buying AEG.

AEG owns and operates the
Staples Center and the Home Depot Center, and manages the XL Center, the Rose Garden, and Rentschler Field. In England, it owns the Manchester Arena,[SUP][1][/SUP] and currently operates the The O[SUB]2[/SUB] which includes a 20,000 capacity arena. In Turkey, AEG operates 13,800 capacity Ulker Sports Arena and Galatasaray S.K.'s new home ground 52,695 capacity Turk Telekom Arena.[SUP][2][/SUP] As part of the development of the O[SUB]2[/SUB], Anschutz also purchased the London river service company Thames Clipper, and supported the development of the nearby David Beckham Academy (which also has a branch at the Home Depot Center). The company has its headquarters inDowntown Los Angeles.[SUP][3][/SUP]
The company owns the Los Angeles Galaxy, 50% of the Houston Dynamo, 50% of the Los Angeles Kings, Ontario Reign, Manchester Monarchs, Eisbären Berlin with Berlin O2 World Ice-Arena, Hamburg Freezers, 49% of Hammarby IF Fotboll, as well as interests in the Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Sparks, Hartford Colonials and Reading Royals. The company also purchased the Champions on Ice figure skating tour in 2006, and own 12% of Djurgårdens IF Hockey. The company makes a significant amount of its money by leveraging its sports interests, already significant earners, by using the stadia in which these teams play to host various other entertainment events, most notably concerts. Indeed, Philip Anschutz created the company by buying up several small local promoters in Los Angeles including ConcertsWest and Goldenvoice, promoter of the annual Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in order to fill up the schedule for his new sports venue, Staples Center. It is now the second-largest event promoter in the United States.
AEG Live came to international public attention in 2009 when it acted as the promoter for Michael Jackson's This Is It tour. Jackson died just three weeks before the series of 50 concerts were due to begin. Members of Jackson's family have said that they would like to see an investigation, in general, into the role of AEG Live in the final weeks of his life, and also, in particular, into the role of the personal advisers and representatives whom they believe the promoters put in place for him.[SUP][4][/SUP]
On September 18, 2012, The Anschutz Corporation announced its intent to sell Anschutz Entertainment Group and its holdings.[SUP][5][/SUP] The company has retained financial advisors Blackstone Advisory Partners to assist in AEG's sale process. There has been some concerns about the sale as AEG was instrumental in the development of Farmers Field, a proposed football stadium in Downtown Los Angeles intended to attract an NFL team to the city (which has been without an NFL team since the Los Angeles Rams relocated to St. Louis, Missouri and the Los Angeles Raiders relocated to Oakland, California, both respectively in 1995), approval to begin construction of Farmers Field in 2013 for a 2016 completion was in the process of being finalized at the time that AEG's sale was announced.[SUP][6][/SUP]]

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

He will own the stadium that the LA team will play in.

here is article
Real estate company Related Cos., chaired and founded by Dolphins Owner STEPHEN ROSS, is "one of the approximately eight final groups bidding for Anschutz Entertainment Group," according to financial and other sources cited by Daniel Kaplan of SPORTSBUSINESS JOURNAL. Sources said that several of the bidders "have been previously identified publicly, such as Guggenheim Partners, which initially was eliminated in December and then allowed back into the process," as well as Lakers investor PATRICK SOON-SHIONG. Sources added that the eight groups "were culled from the initial bids due last month, and several of the remaining groups could and are likely to combine." Sources said that AEG, through its "financial adviser Blackstone, is in the midst of management presentations, where the bidders get more in-depth information about the assets than they received previously." A source said that Related is "working with its RSE Ventures unit, which handles Ross’ sports endeavors." An AEG spokesperson declined to comment "other than to say the process is proceeding fine." But the sources said that the process "is going slower than hoped, and an original estimate of a first-quarter sale now would be tough to achieve"
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2013/01/21/People-and-Pop-Culture/AEG-Ross.aspx

it's a smart move. if LA ever gets a team, someone will have to pay him a fortune to get his stadium. or B... ross is going to try to have 3 superbowls a decade in his two stadiums. shrewd.
Ross will own this if he succeeds in buying AEG.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

the move has absolutely nothing to do with relocation. AEG is a product that would be too good to pass up for him to own. It's a company that has helped save several sports franchises around the world.

I dont see why this has anything to do with moving the Dolphins to LA. Sounds like a legitimate business move to me.

The major assets owned by AEG are the Staples Center in LA, the Cal State stadium, and the Millennium Dome in London. AEG also owns stakes in Major League Soccer teams (DC, Chicago, NYC, and San Jose), and the hockey team the LA Kings. It sounds like a good buy to me.

AEG was in talks to develop a new stadium in Los Angeles, not take ownership of a team - and Ross is in the commerical real estate development business. Owning a stadium and owning a team are not the same things. Even if Ross wanted to move the team, whats he going to do with an empty stadium in south FL? That would be a huge money pit. Nobody is buying that stadium without a pro sports team's with a long term stadium lease.

You all are paranoid.

For perspective, MSG (Madison Square Garden Group, chaired by Knicks/Cablevision owner Jim Dolan) is also bidding for AEG.
So does that mean the Knicks are moving to LA?

He can build it, since he is a commerical property builder, but I'm not sure he can own it. I dont think owners can own other NFL teams' stadiums.

I will indeed call it fear. I will also call it :lol:. Minnesota was much closer to losing the Vikings, yet... it didn't happen. Same with New Orleans. Same with the Jags, who every year are moving to London or Los Angeles except they never do. The Bills started playing half their home games in another country... then resigned with Buffalo.

NFL teams moving locations is a RARE occurrence, and Goodell's obvious zeitgiest is for more teams, not for teams moving. If the Dolphins left Miami you'd just have to put another team in Miami. It's stupid.

Even IF this is an intentional message -- which I doubt -- it's bush league intimidation at best. Ross had the opportunity to get in before the Marlins and get a new stadium in a prime location. The city commissioners were obviously ripe to be won over. But instead he decided to count his nickels and stay in the old stadium until Goodell finally pointed out that it's a dinosaur. I wish I could have been there when the realization finally hit Ross and crew. How painful that must have been, like having a guest come over and politely point out that your house smells like cat piss.

Not getting a new stadium is Ross' fault, and now he and the team have to pay for it. If he wants to make some half assed macho statement about taking the Dolphins out of Miami, let him. I'll be content to laugh.

Bravo. Your posts are really great. Save me some time. You hit all the valid points.

My browser doesn't work well on Finheaven, for some reason. I can't see anything until I switch to "printable view." That means I'm spared sigs and avatars and other nonsense but it also means it's not as convenient, and often my stays are short here, and I don't visit as many forums or revisit threads. My number of thanks is certainly lower than it should be, although I've tried to improve that lately.

I wouldn't mind setting up my account to automatically thank TheWalrus for every post, regardless of content. I'd take my chances.

I'd like to share what all AEG owns. This isn't everything, but it helps paint a picture

f he gets AEG at a bargain, which looks likely as The Anschutz Corporation is desperate to sell, Ross will have a share in quite a few profitable companies in the sports world...

Part Owner of the Lakers and Sparks
LA Galaxy
Home Depot Center
Half owner of the Stanley Cup Champion Kings
Part Owner of the Houston Dynamo
3 of the post popular junior hockey teams in Canada
Hammarby IF; one of the most popular soccer teams in Sweeden
A Couple popular hockey teams in Europe
Part owner of Golden Boy Promotions

He'd also gain charge of 12 different music festivals (including RockNESS, The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festive, and Rockfest) and 2 Film companies, one of which is Walden Media.

Ross would be nuts NOT to look into the purchase. That would significantly add to his net worth, and let us not forget last year Ross looked into buying Everton of the EPL, and AEG themselves tried to by Rangers, one of the most popular clubs in the world.

And that's not even all. Check out their website and see what all Ross would gain

http://aegworldwide.com/

Ross probably sees dollar signs above all else. I doubt the LA Dolphins even slipped into his mind

I think Ross wants the team to succeed here, but it seems no matter what miami fans won't show up for this team. He spent a billion $ on this team, eventually you have to ask, whats it gonna take?

They need to finish over .500 more than once in four years to excite fans. Start with that.

No its the fans fault we should pay for half of a stadium for a billionaire that proposes to do nothing for the community in return

this whole thing sucks.

the marlin money should have gone to the Dolphins. tell the marlins to go F themselves and move if they wanted. this isn't a baseball town anyway.

Back
Top Bottom