Spurs vs. Mavericks | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spurs vs. Mavericks

Ferretsquig said:
...just pointing out why the NBA is quickly becoming falling from the pantheon of major sports. Its the wrong direction to go in and thats proven by the ever decreasing market share. Not many people are entertained by watching those teams play.

Think about that one for a sec. What makes a fast break team? Now explain to me how a fast break team could play defense like the Pistons or Spurs.

Well I suppose a fast break team COULD play defense by shutting the other team down, getting the rebound running up the court and scoring, but both teams couldnt play defense

The officiating in game two was awful. I still think San Antonio will win the series. Avery Johnson complained about Bruce Bowen's defense but Erick Dampier is literally holding Tim Duncan so he can not rotate. The Spurs defense was pathetic Devin Harris is not as good as the Spurs made him look in game two. Just from watching both games when the Spurs ran their offense through Duncan they scored; nearly everytime he touched the ball he either went to the line or made a basket. They got in trouble when he picked up his 3rd foul in the 2nd quarter and the game was over after that. Josh Howard was money last night and Stack has been great in both games. With Bowen guarding Dirk I think the Spurs might be better off with going small and putting Finley in the starting lineup instead of Horry.

Ferretsquig said:
...just pointing out why the NBA is quickly becoming falling from the pantheon of major sports. Its the wrong direction to go in and thats proven by the ever decreasing market share. Not many people are entertained by watching those teams play.

Think about that one for a sec. What makes a fast break team? Now explain to me how a fast break team could play defense like the Pistons or Spurs.
Then you just answered your own question.Whats more important scoring or winning.Look when I became a Spurs fan they were run and gun.Guess how many championships we won.Thats right 0.The Iceman was our star player and the our division put up points like there was no tomorrow.Now the new age Spurs play D and now look what we got.

I dont know what team youre a fan of but stop whining and complaining about how the Spurs and Pistons play.Im sure if it were your team winning championships youd be happy too.And your reasoning for the NBA losing market share isnt proven to be correct.Where was it ever said because the Spurs and Pistons played in the finals nobody wants to cheer their team on anymore.Hmmm maybe it could have something to do with how some of the players act?Dont blame the Spurs.The Spurs are a class organization.

Dre3000 said:
Well defense is what wins championships and the Mavs are finally playing it.They have an exciting offense but its no fun if youre just watching teams score.Just imagine if "that" was the case.Talk about boring.Watching teams just score is boring.The Spurs play "real" basketball.
I didnt say anything about defense not winning championships bro. i just said the spurs were boring. To me they are. i still respect them, I just dont like watching them.

Boik14 said:
I didnt say anything about defense not winning championships bro. i just said the spurs were boring. To me they are. i still respect them, I just dont like watching them.
Hey man...If boring wins us championships I'll take it.Runnin and gunnin' never got us a trophy.Im glad you respect them.

Dre3000 said:
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9980/111113jy.jpg I dont know what team youre a fan of but stop whining and complaining about how the Spurs and Pistons play.Im sure if it were your team winning championships youd be happy too.

Ah the classic responce of the fan. We dont give a damn what anyone else thinks as long as "our" team is winning. That sense of ownership is always amusing. I guess you could argue there the emotional tie is in some way your own property.

And your reasoning for the NBA losing market share isnt proven to be correct.Where was it ever said because the Spurs and Pistons played in the finals nobody wants to cheer their team on anymore.

I doubt anyone would say anything like that....how you derive that statement from what I wrote I have no idea. What I stated was that noone wants to watch that particular brand of basketball being played, outside the rather meager fanbases of the two teams. This is not an opinion....just look at the ratings the series get.

Dre3000 said:
Hey man...If boring wins us championships I'll take it.Runnin and gunnin' never got us a trophy.Im glad you respect them.
In a lot of ways the spurs remind me of the Ewing/Oakley/Starks NYK teams; theyre boring as all heck but theyre effective. In the end it is what matters. It just doesnt make for a very entertaining game imo.

Dirk Nowitzki..."Yahhh no more girlie maan defense here in Dallas....ve play tough defense here in Dallas, and show those Spur's girlie maan and dat Frenchie girlie man who is boning eva who is da real man." Acht du lieber.

:lol:

Ferretsquig said:
Ah the classic responce of the fan. We dont give a damn what anyone else thinks as long as "our" team is winning. That sense of ownership is always amusing. I guess you could argue there the emotional tie is in some way your own property.

I doubt anyone would say anything like that....how you derive that statement from what I wrote I have no idea. What I stated was that noone wants to watch that particular brand of basketball being played, outside the rather meager fanbases of the two teams. This is not an opinion....just look at the ratings the series get.

As I said, when I became a fan of the Spurs we were runnin and gunnin.So youre trying to say if your team suddenly played like the Spurs and won championships you wouldnt be happy youd be worried more about market shares??I find this hard to believe.Explain.

Dre3000 said:

As I said, when I became a fan of the Spurs we were runnin and gunnin.So youre trying to say if your team suddenly played like the Spurs and won championships you wouldnt be happy youd be worried more about market shares??I find this hard to believe.Explain.

So because I support the Spurs I should be worried about what the rest of the league does or thinks?

Dre3000 said:
So because I support the Spurs I should be worried about what the rest of the league does or thinks?

If you like that particular brand of basketball I'm not here to covince you of your error in judgement. But yes I would be worried if I was a fan of any professional basketball franchise. "Your" franchise is not a single entity in a vacuum, it only exists with the support of the fanbase of the entire league. You are in a collective body, and the responce to it over the last 2 decades has generally been quite negative. Stern isnt a complete idiot....he has tried to alter the way the game is called in order to facilitate offense, but it hasnt worked.

Dre3000 said:

I think the markets have alot to do with low ratings for Spurs/Pistons. The Spurs and Pistons have basically no personality on the court. San Antonio has a strong international core with guys who are as marketable as anybody in their country such as Ginobili and Parker. The Pistons have been built by Joe Dumars and have a bunch of good players nobody is great. The most marketable player on their team i've never make a shot that was not a dunk and is on the court because of defense. If the two teams changed their jersey and they said Lakers/Knicks the ratings would be through the roof regardless of the style of ball they play.

djfresh47 said:
I think the markets have alot to do with low ratings for Spurs/Pistons. The Spurs and Pistons have basically no personality on the court. San Antonio has a strong international core with guys who are as marketable as anybody in their country such as Ginobili and Parker. The Pistons have been built by Joe Dumars and have a bunch of good players nobody is great. The most marketable player on their team i've never make a shot that was not a dunk and is on the court because of defense. If the two teams changed their jersey and they said Lakers/Knicks the ratings would be through the roof regardless of the style of ball they play.
I think thats a fair assessment Fresh.But what's so funny this year (thus far) is this:

Offense PPG
#2 Detroit, 106.6 PPG
#4 San Antonio, 102.4 PPG
#8 Dallas, 98.5 PPG
#13 New Jersey, 93.4 PPG

Defense PPG
#1 Dallas, 85.8 PPG
#2 New Jersey, 91.2 PPG
#6 Detroit, 95.0 PPG
#8 San Antonio, 97.8 PPG

Funny to see Detroit and San Antonio in the top 5 offense,and Dallas#1 in defense.Its fair to say the Spurs arent flashy and they dont have players going after the big shoe contracts,but they are a very classy team and respectful during interviews.Unfortunately that doesnt get good ratings,but I still say Go Spurs!!

I'm a fan of offensive basketball as well, but I have to say, effectiveness trumps "flashiness" anyday. those who prefer the latter are typically the casual fans of the sport. It amazes me that those who play fundamentally sound basketball are "boring" and those who play glorified streetball and mug for the cameras are considered "the good stuff"

Spurs vs. Mavericks Game 3

Spurs need this one. Now that they are rested and ready to go, the series has officially begun.

Winning time.

Believe.

Time to open up a can a

GO SPURS!!

Back
Top Bottom