Steve Hutchinson or Bentley? Your Thoughts? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Steve Hutchinson or Bentley? Your Thoughts?

I would take Bently mostly because hes younger, and he can play G or C. I don't know if I would be so confident in Rex playing C as you sound. I don't think he can play it "as good as any other lineman in the NFL" in your words.

EHord25 said:
I would take Bently mostly because hes younger, and he can play G or C. I don't know if I would be so confident in Rex playing C as you sound. I don't think he can play it "as good as any other lineman in the NFL" in your words.

People forget that Rex is actually quite limited in his ability to get to the 2nd level. I'd like to have a C more than a G frankly because that was a bigger problem for Miami. Seth McKinney was mauled in pass and run blocking. Bentley guaranteed would shove Wilfork around enough so that Jeno or believe it or not Wade Smith/Hadnot could get to the 2nd level. If you can take the NT it's always a huge benefit.

Dolfan5000 said:
Trade a fourth to the Vikes for Birk!!! He's already basically blacklisted himself by saying he didn't like the Vikes head office.
Did he say he didnt like the new owner/head office or the old one? I think I remeber him having some criticism but it was directed more at the way things were done under the old owner and coach.

dolphan117 said:
Did he say he didnt like the new owner/head office or the old one? I think I remeber him having some criticism but it was directed more at the way things were done under the old owner and coach.
No, it was to the current front office because they put him on IR when he thought he could still play or something like that.

I think Seattle might have a little trouble franchising Hutchinson AND re-signing Alexander to the deal he'll warrant after this year's performance.

But I think Bentley is the target anyway. We've needed someone mean and stable at center since Olin Kreutz turned us down. Bentley would set a tone of toughness in the middle. So here's your line:

LT -- McIntosh (if he takes a pay cut -- Alabi or our 1st rounder if not)
LG -- James
C -- Bentley
RG -- Hadnot
RT -- Carey

I would like all dreamers to go back and read (if possible) all posts in this thread by "Schleprock" He seems to be one of the few here with his opinions based on reality.MiamiRon

phinfan2003 said:
I think Hadnot is being groomed to be the center on this team. Hutchinson is going to be expensive. Bentley would be great but if he's as quick as it's been said on this board, I wonder if he could play G. If he could, I think Bentley at G and Hadnot at C would be better than Bentley at C and Hadnot at G.
That would make it even sweeter. They could be interchangeable. We all know how much Saban loves versatility.

Dolfan5000 said:
Birk is under 28 I think and he's a Pro Bowl center soooo... maybe worth a 4th or 5th.

Isn't he also coming off a serious knee injury ?? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he ended this year on IR ??

LarryFinFan said:
Isn't he also coming off a serious knee injury ?? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he ended this year on IR ??
It wasn't as serious as the Vikes made it out to be, which made Birk mad at them.

Either would make me happy.

But, if I had to choose I would go with Hutchinson

VanDolPhan said:
Don't expect to sign either. Saban signed Houck so he wouldn't have to spend large money on OL.
How does that make any sense? If great linemen are available and your line does not have anything better than average, then why would you NOT go after them? Houck has impressed me so far with what he has been able to do with this group, but I'd just as soon upgrade to the best talent that we can find. Remember ... all offences start at the trenches. We need to be able to dominate there before we can consistantly move the ball against anyone and everyone!

Our line needs a pro-bowl caliber CENTER more than it needs either a guard OR tackle. You put even an old, injured Kevin Mawae on this team and our line would be MUCH improved.

We need Bentley much more than Hutchinson - regardless of the fact that Hutchinson might be the better lineman.

Rex Hadnot couldn't do what Bentley does - ever, even with longer arms ! He is just simply our 'best' option right now - NOT the solution.

Get BENTLEY !!!

H2Ronnie23 said:
If the free agency market gets too expensive for the Dolphins this off-season, the best bet would be to target primarily G Steve Hutchinson.
There is no doubt in my mind that Bentley is a great Center and would be a huge asset to the team but to sign both would mean a large hit to our cap. With Hadnot playing solid, he can move over to center and play that position just as good as any lineman in the NFL. I believe we need to upgrade the secondary and the defense with at least one free agent signing. Charles Woodson would be a pretty good acquisition to out secondary. Considering that Sam Madison is out to go play with Surtain in KC.
My ideal would be to get Huchinson and then draft Nick Mangold and move Hadnot back to guard....then all we'd need is to draft a LT in the 3rd or 4th round area since this is a deep draft for OT's....Mangold would be in the 2nd round if he's there....wow, the middle of that line with Huchinson Mangold and Hadnot would be something to watch.

Ozzy rules!!

Danny said:
My ideal would be to get Huchinson and then draft Nick Mangold and move Hadnot back to guard....then all we'd need is to draft a LT in the 3rd or 4th round area since this is a deep draft for OT's....Mangold would be in the 2nd round if he's there....wow, the middle of that line with Huchinson Mangold and Hadnot would be something to watch.

Ozzy rules!!

I heard about Mangold, he seems like a pretty good prospect at OL. I heard he was compared to the likes of Matt Light from NE.

Schleprock said:
realism, but that has never been a hot idea here.

Wrong time to bring that up. There are ARTICLES, the MEDIA has been talking about us possibly pursuing these 2 guys and if THEY ARE...why cant we? You're a tool...

Back
Top Bottom